PDA

View Full Version : GTS vs165 distributor

ericfragola
07-01-2012, 05:33 AM
hey everyone! so ive been going through EVERY possible fault on my build and ive narrowed it down to a few things. injectors, wires, and distributor. i have a 185 block 205 top end and 88 electronics...i know, franken-trac >:) all my electrical is done correctly. so, back on topic, my 165 distributor wasnt sparking correctly, randomly cut out, misfired, etc. so, i was browsing the computer at work (orielly auto parts) and the gts distributor and alltrac one looked dead on the same. so i ordered the GTS distributor. got it, matched it up to my st165 distributor. ONLY difference i noticed was the way the cap mounts. (bolt holes shown in pic) so what i did was got the GTS dist. and lined up the cap perfectly to mimic the st165 distributor. (rotated the cap and drilled/threaded new holes) theoretically, it should work, if what i have been told about the GTS distributor being the same as the 165 dist, other than the fact that the cap on the gts mounts like 45 degrees counter clockwise as opposed to the 165 dist. but i modded it to mimic the st165 dist. is there anyone that can shed some light/reassurance on the GTS and st165 distributor being the same other than the way the cap mounts? thanks everyone!

also, when i tried to start it before modding the distributor it would start but not enough to hold idle...then after modding it wont even give a slight rumble of trying to turn on. maybe the spinning shaft is set up differently than the one on the alltrac, to accomodate for the cap roatation?

will post pic, if i can figure out how to reduce the size :( it would probably make alot more sense to see what im talking about with a pic

Mafix
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
as far as i can remember:
with the stock ecu, you need the 165 dizzy. the gts will bolt up but internally they are very different. IIRC it was something to do with the hall effect sensors.

alltracman78
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Toyota doesn't use hall effect sensors, they use inductive pickups. :)
Internally they're probably the same except for the position of the pickups [to give the ECU crank/cam position]. That would cause a no run.
Have you checked to see if you have spark?

Mafix
07-02-2012, 01:14 AM
it's been a long week. but you are right.

ericfragola
08-01-2012, 06:14 AM
so it turns out everything IS infact the same, minus the dizzy. thanks for the info. i ended up just getting a remanufactured 165 distributor through my work.