PDA

View Full Version : Most likely bad wheel hub?!!

BonzaiCelica
06-27-2012, 12:31 AM
I've read time and time again all this talk about bad wheel bearing. No one really talks whether they're hub is bad. I have a 1999 Toyota Celica.

I drove on torn cv boot axles for a month with them making grinding/squeeking noise. I finally stopped driving. I didnt' change them sooner because I wanted to do my clutch and axles at the same time(so one time alignment) I installed timken wheel bearings and seals 10,000 miles ago.

Now when I drive my front right tire has play, but does not squeal or hum while I increase speed. Just sounds like clunking noise. When I took off the knuckle completely the hub had play.

The mechanic across street said you'll be able to tell if its the bad hub if you can push a new bearing by hand into without having to press it in.

85gtsblackman
06-27-2012, 07:45 AM
your hub is shot or the axle nut isnt tight. try tightening it 1st.

if that dosent work go to the junkyard, find a good spindle/hub assembly and put a new bearing in it

BonzaiCelica
06-27-2012, 07:56 AM
btw I didn't mention that since I did a clutch and new axles I had both knuckles removed. the right front knuckle/hub had play in it when I moved it by hand. I'll recheck the axle nut, but i highly doubt it. If so, is it bad if I don't replace the hub right away. Will any thing else get damaged??

also if I find a used knuckle at a junkyard will the 1990-1993 celica st182/4 work on the ST204/AT200 94-99 Celica's??? Can I use my current ball joints from my current knuckle if the used ones are shot??

A new hub comes with new studs right??

dontsurf
06-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Hub flange comes with studs on.

The bearing and the hub flange can damage each other if they're left on for too long. So if you had a worn hub from a worn bearing, which Toyotas are a bitch for, and then you put a new bearing on there and drove it with other bad components, then the bearings might be damaged by the bad hub.

You drive on it for too long then it ends up looking like this:

http://i.imgur.com/BwbEO.jpg

Probably guess how that got damaged. Change the bearings at the same time as changing the hub flange, because if a worn hub flange has damaged the bearing then the bearing will start grinding out on the new hub flange.

85gtsblackman
06-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Get the one for your year car. The hub and housing are probally toast. Just take my advise as I went though all this mess when I had my 6th gen

BonzaiCelica
06-28-2012, 09:44 PM
ok thanks for such great info. I just ordered some mevotech front sway bar end links. to make sure its not those. If that doesn't work then I'll go with a new toyota hub and timken wheel bearing. ughh since I have spacer's I'll have to get 5 new extended wheel studs.... more money

85gtsblackman
06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
if the race is shot eventually the problem you are having will come back which is why i said get a good spindle (knucle assembly with hub and where ball joint bolts to) then u shouldnt have any more issues (unless u get an out of round reman axle)

BonzaiCelica
06-29-2012, 07:35 AM
what is the race???

The spindle is part of the hub. So if I buy a new Toyota Hub and New wheel bearing then my car shouldn't have any more problems right?

the chassis currently has 139,000 miles.

dontsurf
06-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Race is part of the bearing. Bearings sit on the inner and outer races.

Spindle is the hub flange. Part of the spindle assembly. You buy the whole assembly, including spindle,. it'll be expensive but you won't have any more problems. Probably.