PDA

View Full Version : 5SFE Thermostat differences?

k.beaty
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Hello, I am in the middle of putting a rev 2 5SFE into my 1990 GT-S. Everything is going fairly smoothly with swapping everything over. One small problem that I've had, and am a little bit stumped on is the thermostat + housing on the Rev 2 motor are smaller that what was originally on my Rev 1...

The only difference that I can think of is that my original motor had an OEM oil cooler on it, and the new motor does not. I race this car so I swapped the oil cooler from my Rev 1 over to my Rev 2. I'm not sure whether this is why the thermostats are different sizes or not.

Just wondering if anyone has any information on this. Or if anyone has used the smaller thermostat + thermostat housing with the oil cooler?

jaydog82
06-12-2012, 02:41 AM
i did not run into this problem when i did a 5sfr rev 2 swap, you could just reuse your rev 1 water pump housing.

k.beaty
06-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Hmm, I already have an OEM thermostat for the Rev2 motor, and it's much smaller than the Rev1 that came out of my celica. I am just going to hit a wrecking yard and grab a thermostat housing for the Rev 2 since my JDM motor didn't have one on it :(

I dont think there will be any cooling issues since the pump can only move the amount of fluid that will fit through the coolant tubes.

Any other input?

k.beaty
06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
So, I ended up switching the housing from my JDM motor, to my original water pump housing so that I can use the larger thermostat.
YAY for better cooling! :D

93celicaconv
06-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I just did a parts look-up for thermostats for a 1990 GTS and an 1993 GTS (both with 5S-FE engines), and the stat part numbers are different. So there must have been a change made in this area between Rev 1 & Rev 2 engines.

k.beaty
06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
It seems strange to me...

I'm curious to know why this change was made.