PDA

View Full Version : NA 4afe oil cooler

Masani
05-27-2012, 01:52 AM
So, in the mornings I've noticed that my AT180 seems to run and sounds smoother. I'm thinking it's because the engine is cool. So I've been thinking. Maybe an oil cooler could help keep things cool, coupled together with some additional fans.
My question is: is there enough oil pressure in a 4afe for an oil cooler to be practical, or even work? Would it cause any problems with general operation? Would I need to modify anything else to install it?
The questions go on, but first things first.

david in germany
05-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Why don't you try a better oil first? What type are you running?

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server

Masani
05-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Castrol 20w50

david in germany
05-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Holy shit that is way too thick! You need to drop it back to factory recommended 10w30. Also stay away from castrol. Do a bit of reading on viscosity and how oil thickens when warm. A 50 weight oil is not so good for a high revving 1.6 like the 4a-fe. It may cost a bit to do this but I would do a fresh change with some Mobile 1 full synthetic and fresh oem Toyota filter and run it for a cycle (oil change interval of about 3000 miles) then change over to some royal purple 10w30. First off, if the Mobile 1 doesn't get you running smoother then there may be some other issues in the engine. If all goes well, the royal purple will it out even more and you can extend the change interval out to about 5-8k miles. The reason I said use the mobile 1 first is to clean out the heavy viscosity stuff before using the higher cost good stuff.

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server

Masani
05-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Even with a block with internals with 200k+ miles on it?
I thought oil was thicker when cold. Confused now, but still, what about the oil cooler idea?

david in germany
05-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Even with a block with internals with 200k+ miles on it?
I thought oil was thicker when cold. Confused now, but still, what about the oil cooler idea?

with the proper oil in a 4afe it will not need an oil cooler. I started running Royal purple in my at about 100k. Wen I sold it with about 200k on it the guy that bought it asked to hear it run, it had been sitting there running for 15 minutes while we talked.

Masani
05-31-2012, 03:11 AM
Well, then. Next paycheck. But I would think that additional fans would be useful. I have only one, and it's starting to show wear.

david in germany
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
No real need, the 4afe is a super efficent engine as it is. If you think yours is running a bit warm, give it a good coolant flush and run original Toyota Red coolant. I ran my car hard for extended periods of time and never had an issue.

UtahSleeper
05-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Plus cant it cause issues if the oil is too cool? Thats just something I remember reading, not sure on validity.

Masani
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Ya, I read that too big a cooler can keep an engine from properly heating up. But that it would be beneficial for car used in constant hot weather.
I just want to know if the oil pressure is sufficient for an cooler to function. How much oil pressure is there in the 4afe?