PDA

View Full Version : st185 RC intercooler onto a st165 intake manifold? Any ideas?

shreddr69
05-25-2012, 02:23 AM
Ok, so it almost wants to fit. The angle of of the intercooler where it connects to the intake manifold is a little off pitch but thanks to the turbo system I'm running, the turbo side of the intercooler could be cut down and made to fit but the intake manifold side pitches down at a little too much of an angle. It fit in the rubber neck but I don't think it'll seal right. I understand this is not meant to work on the st165 intake manifold but is there anyone who has successfully done this?

UtahSleeper
05-25-2012, 04:47 AM
Just an idea since I am not familiar with the 185 RC design, but maybe use the TB coupler of the RC trac?

shreddr69
05-25-2012, 05:20 PM
The st165 coupler is said to be correct. The problems I'm running into are, 1) the pcv hard line that sticks up out of the valve cover in preventing the IC from achieving proper alignment with the throttle body. I will have to cut the turbo side of the IC to make it fit at the turbo but I don't want to do that until I can make it fit correctly at the manifold. I read that the left hand engine hanger needs to go but I won't be able to tell if that's the case until I get the pcv line out of the way. What are my options for the pcv line? I know I need it but it needs to be much shorter.

shreddr69
05-25-2012, 09:42 PM
So it looks like to line them up I need to cut the right hand mount off of the intercooler and cut about 2 inches off of the turbo side inlet of the intercooler. I removed the left hand side engine hanger and it was that, not the pcv setup that was in the way but cutting needs to be done to the intercooler. Anyone else doen this before? Anyone wanna stop me from hacking at this thing??

underscore
05-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Just an idea since I am not familiar with the 185 RC design, but maybe use the TB coupler of the RC trac?

The RC coupler is the same as the 165 and 205, it's the regular ATA Alltrac's that are funny.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-29-2012, 11:39 PM
The 205 has a bigger TB coupler. You supposedly can stretch a 165 coupler onto the 205 WTA but I finally gave up and go the 205 coupler.

shreddr69
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I've decided to wait until I can get the exhaust redone. That way I can have the turbo manipulated a bit to fit the intercooler without cutting it all up. My st165 coupler fits, it's just the angle of the turbo screwing me over, so when I switch over to 3 inch exhaust, I'll have the dude fix a bunch of design flaws the last guy "custom" made. Thanks for the help!