PDA

View Full Version : Compressors - Oiled or oil free?

UtahSleeper
05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
So, about to replace my dead compressor with a 20 gallon one. My question is, there a benefit to oiled? Or should I go the lazy path and get an oil free one?

Funkycheeze
05-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Oiled are like half as noisy. Less headache action FTW.

And they last longer, if you take care of them.

joe's gt
05-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Just went through this dilemma. Everyone said get oiled cuz its quieter. I ended up getting a 6.8 scfm @ 90 psi 25 gallon craftsman oil"less" recently cuz I have a detached garage and needed the portability and ability to have 110v operation for house projects. I honestly didn't think it was that loud. Got it for $90 at a pawn shop, and if the compressor ever goes out, I'll just get a rebuild kit from craftsman and rebuild it for like $50.

All depends on how much you use it, your air flow demands, and if you need portability. You are going to have a hard time finding oiled compressors at 20 gallons unless they are older. Most all of them nowadays are oil"less"

l0ch0w
05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Seriously, just look at the things you plan on using it for. If a 20 gal oilless compressor will work for you, then go that route. But if you need an upgrade, then oiled is definitely the way to go. They are MUCH quieter, seeing as I have a POS 35 gal oilless one and my buddy has a 60 gal oiled compressor. His is about a million times quieter than mine is, and its more powerful....

My .02

UtahSleeper
05-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, after I mangled my harbor frieght 8 gal oiled one I am looking to get a bigger one with a little more power. Turns out using a low power 8 gal for an extended time using a cutting tool on springs can cause it to sieze lol.

The 20 gal oil and oilless I have found seem to have the same specs, or close.

I am hoping for this as more of a stop gap really. Get a few years out of it till I have a bigger garage and can take on bigger projects lol

CollapsedNut
05-23-2012, 11:18 PM
FUCK those oil-less, loud ass compressors! Can't stand them!

Luni
05-24-2012, 02:04 AM
I have a Porter Cable oil free compressor and its the quietest compressor Ive ever heard in anyones garage I know.

It was also expensive as fuck too, so I guess you get what you pay for.

4thgenceli
05-24-2012, 02:25 AM
I have a Craftsman 919.165050 (30 gallon, 5.5HP 'permanently lubricated'). It's loud as FUCK but works awesome.

MCcelica
05-25-2012, 05:40 AM
I have a 33 gallon craftsman oilless. It's pretty loud, but it could be worse. It works for my purposes which include occasionally changing out tires, blowing out sprinkler systems, and I'll be using it to finish my basement once I get enough cash to start on that. The (relative) portability is nice as I do have to remove it from the garage to blow out the sprinklers, and I will need to move it to the basement once that project kicks off. But the thing is, it uses every ounce of power on that 110 while it's on. If you have literally anything else on that circuit, you will pop breakers. Hell, if you toggle the compressor switch on/off too fast, it'll pop the breaker. So something else to keep in mind there.

UtahSleeper
05-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I ended up find a used craftsman oilless for a decent price. Definately loud, but 25 gal and 5.5 hp, should serve my purpose well, plus it exceeds the requirements for my paint gun.

Funkycheeze
05-25-2012, 07:51 PM
There is something to be said for a compressor with wheels that runs on 110. My 13 HP 240V 60 gal oiled certainly isn't what I would describe as portable.

joe's gt
05-26-2012, 04:36 AM
I must be deaf from my gf yellin at me all the time, cuz I don't think the craftsman oil"less" are that loud.

MCcelica
05-26-2012, 07:09 AM
^ I mean, mine isn't loud enough to be heard from down the street even with an open garage. But it's loud enough to get real annoying real quick when you're in the garage with it.

CollapsedNut
05-26-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd rather turn on my compressor and wait 30 min for air, then have to listen to that damn buzzing.