PDA

View Full Version : Headunit Roulette...

Murgatroy
05-17-2012, 07:53 PM
So I have been out of the game so long on audio that I honestly have no clue what is what anymore.

Case in point, I am running a thirteen year old Blaupunkt Austin HU.

I have to admit, for the $250 I gave for it that long ago, and the fact that it has been through five cars including Chaos, I am impressed with it.

However, it has given up the ghost. It no longer receives radio signal, it stopped receiving my FM transmitter for my phone as well. When you change CDs or flip down the face, one out of three times it will do a hard reset.

It was a good HU, and it has features that will be missed, but it is time.

I am leaning toward a Double DIN unit. No reason other than I want too and I think it will be cleaner that way. I don't use the pocket under my radio anyways and it annoys me when something is in there and slides around.

I have a few features I am looking for, some more important that others.

Under $200 is the goal. I am still a cheap motherfucker.

Bluetooth would be nice, it makes it easier for me to hear my phone, as Chaos is not exactly a quiet ride. This is an option.

USB input. Physical media is dead. I have all of my CDs converted to MP3 and WMA, I hate changing CDs anyways, so reading my media and playing it off of a USB is a must.

1/4" input. I can live without it, but I would like to be able to listen to the music on my phone. I am not sure if my phone would operate with Bluetooth streaming, but that would be an option too.

RCA outputs for system building options. This is the second phase of the system, but I want the ability to use what I have to do it. I don't have much in mind yet. I do plan on using 4" components up front, so I need a front stage. I will be running subs, so I need either sub outputs or switchable/rear.

I don't care for pay services, so I don't need satellite radio. I have used it, I liked it, but I am cheap.

Local radio is nice, but I have antenna issues, and to be honest I am thinking of shaving my antenna. Having USB, Phone and CD would still give me three inputs and should be good for me.

I have no brand loyalty. I did once. But like I said I have been out of the game so long that I don't know who is who anymore.

And my last wish. My Blaupunkt has this fucking awesome feature of a volume reset. No matter what I have it cranked too, when I kill the power, it resets to a preset volume level. Meaning at that when I am all amped up from dealing with nondriving assholes on my way home and I am blasting the hell out of some Disturbed, at 6am when I get in the car to drive my daughter to school, her eardrums are not blown out when I get in the car and crank her up. Well at least not from the stereo. That is a feature that I don't know how anyone could live without after having it. I would love to have that on my new unit. But it would't be a deal breaker.

Discuss!

The Captain
05-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I have a single DIN panasonic unit from Clayton's car. With remote. You can have it for shipping plus secktual favors.

Murgatroy
05-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Do you know what model it was so I can check features?

The Captain
05-17-2012, 09:28 PM
I knew you were going to ask me that.

Luni
05-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Murg, auto level set is a blaupunkt thing. Youre not going to find that on any other headunit but a blaupunkt.

You will have to join the rest of the world and turn your shit down if you dont want it loud as fuck when you resume.

With that said, I recommend Kenwood if youre going brand new.

MrWOT
05-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Blaupunkt is the shit, I had a San Francisco a long time ago. It had a microphone and it would auto adjust the eq to compensate for outside frequencies.

But yeah, don't know of a deck that has an auto volume reset feature :shrug:

METDeath
05-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Here's a few that you may want to look at, I included Crutchfield links for solid info, and Amazon links for cheap prices.

Clarion CX501 Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CX501-Double-DIN-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B004KVLB9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337298924&sr=8-1) Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CX501/Clarion-CX501.html?tp=5684)

JVC KW-R900BT Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/KWR900BT-2din-Bluetooth-Usb-aux-Pandora/dp/B0079LGLH4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337299294&sr=1-1) Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWR900B/JVC-KW-R900BT.html?tp=5684)

Or if you're going to go Double Din... may as well get a DVD player Valor DD-806W Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Valor-DD-806W-Bluetooth-Adjustable-Multi-Color/dp/B006YGG5W6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337298955&sr=8-2) Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_077DD806W/Valor-DD-806W.html?tp=5684)

alltracNyx
05-18-2012, 03:12 AM
If you are going to get a brand new unit, I'd second Kenwood.

Eric Barrera
05-18-2012, 03:16 AM
I also vote Kenwood. Regret not buying one instead of a Pioneer

UtahSleeper
05-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Guess I am not the audio guru that all of you are, but my last 2 stereo's have been under 200 sony's. They play music well enough for my liking. My current deck was 180. Has an aux and usb in the front, as well as bluetooth that works well with my htc for calls and streaming audio.

Personally I would just hit a best buy, try a few of the brands to see which one's have controls and looks you like, so you do have to use and look at the thing every day.

BabyBear
05-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Another vote for Kenwood. Just put one in my STI and am digging it quite a bit.

david in germany
05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Love my Alpine deck. I was a hard core Clarion guy but times change as does the technology.

Murgatroy
05-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Y'all don't make this easy.

I am kinda leaning toward the JVC that Marshall posted, it has 5v preouts. That is nice.

The Captain
05-18-2012, 02:42 PM
It's a Panasonic CQ-C7301U

http://www.refurbexpress.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=281&idCategory=19

Murgatroy
05-18-2012, 03:10 PM
John as much as the cheapskate in me hates to turn down free things. It just doesn't have the features I need. If it had USB support, I would do it. However, without that I am limited to just CD as my single source.

Thanks for the offer though.

I am really starting to lean toward that JVC the more I look and read about it. I assume that JVC has stepped up there game and is much better now than the crap they put out fifteen years ago? I always thought JVC stood for Japanese Virtual Crap.

MrWOT
05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Depends on the model. Arsenal series is their top tier stuff. Lower end is okay with features, but you lose out on DAC quality, radio sensitivity, eq settings.

Murgatroy
05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't have a properly functioning antenna. So I lose out on radio sensitivity from the word go.

Luni
05-18-2012, 09:47 PM
JVC is owned by Kenwood. Or owns Kenwood. Either way, theyre the same thing now.

Murgatroy
05-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Okay, now find me some 4" components...

celica9303
05-19-2012, 03:06 AM
I vote pioneer, or eclipse. Cant stand kenwood/jvc. Sorry love my Panasonic deck in my 4runner. You really want to get.rid of that unit John?

celica9303
05-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Btw eclipse is factory manufacturer for our cars....

dte
05-19-2012, 03:49 AM
This is what I just got, and I love it! I got it because of the Rear USB plug, so that i can leave my Ipod in the car and it be out of sight.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-McDfMe6zur3/p_500CDE123/Alpine-CDE-123.html

celica9303
05-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Alpine is top quality too.

Luni
05-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Btw eclipse is factory manufacturer for our cars....

No. Fujitsu Ten is. No resemblance to commercial Eclipse.

Murg I have a set of old school infinity kappa components. They look like hell but they sound good. No mounts for the tweeters tho. They're 4s.

celica9303
05-19-2012, 04:27 AM
Fujitsu Ten is eclipse ......the rear of my factory system ten headunit(or system 8 for the convertible) has both I preety sure.
But either way Fujitsu Ten makes eclipse making them one of the same.

Example: ford and Lincoln ,different name on trunk but same car

celica9303
05-19-2012, 04:32 AM
http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/company/

Arguement done.

Luni
05-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Try thinking about it more next time before you answer. I know my shit when it comes to car audio. You surely didn't think I really had no idea that Fujitsu Ten is Eclipses parent company.

I never said Eclipses parent company isn't Fujitsu ten ass. Im an Eclipse fanatic. I own 3 of their headunits. What I'm saying is the shit they put in OEM cars is a far cry short of the quality you will find with their Eclipse line of products.

That's like saying the Infinity shit they put in Chrysler cars, or the JBL shit they put in Fords, or the Harman Kardan shit they put in BMWs or the Bose shit they put in Acuras is anywhere up to par with those companies retail products. Not even close.

Hell for that matter Infinity, JBL, and Harman Kardan are all made by Harman Industries but they're not all the same shit.

Murgatroy
05-19-2012, 04:50 AM
No. Fujitsu Ten is. No resemblance to commercial Eclipse.

Murg I have a set of old school infinity kappa components. They look like hell but they sound good. No mounts for the tweeters tho. They're 4s.

You know how to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, how did you remember I love me some Infinity Kappa goodness?

I literally just finished searching high and low for some Infinity components, and was getting ready to break down and determine I would have to get some two ways since they don't make 4" components anymore.

I really am digging their new Kappa One amp. And I am certain that in the not too distant future there will be some Kappa subs in the trunk again. Seems they no longer produce Perfects either...

Luni
05-19-2012, 04:57 AM
I'll send you these things. The surround has come disconnected from the basket and I've glued them with copper rtv so they look shitty but they should work fine, they always did. And if they don't you aren't out anything but shipping.

Remember Gypsymage? I bought them off him like 8 years ago or more. They're yours if you want em. You just gotta figure out how to mount the tweeters since I don't have mounts. I ran them in my MR2 for a long time.

Murgatroy
05-19-2012, 04:58 AM
I will get the factory tweeter mounts for the mirror covers and somehow attach them in that. I will PM you my new address, let me know what shipping is.

Luni
05-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Should work. That's how I had them in my MR2. Just remove the grills from the tweeters and hot glue them in a couple places. That's what I did.

Hopefully I can find all the shit that goes to them.

The Captain
05-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Try thinking about it more next time before you answer.

No.

david in germany
05-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I will get the factory tweeter mounts for the mirror covers and somehow attach them in that. I will PM you my new address, let me know what shipping is.

No! Put them in the kicks! The imaging will be x 10 than the mirror pods.
If the mirror pods are the only way that you can do it then do it but if you have an option, don't. Trust me, lots of years experimenting with mine before I got them right.

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server

lalojamesliz
05-20-2012, 05:30 AM
I really like my pioneer fh-p8000bt :) Bluetooth for phone and music, USB, auxiliary in, CD, front/rear/subwoofer RCA out, a very nice sounding eq and some other crap I can't think of at the moment I'm sure

The Captain
05-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Kraco FTW.

Luni
05-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Boss Audio!

MrWOT
05-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Boss Audio!

:slap:

4thgenceli
05-20-2012, 06:20 PM
I like my Autozone head unit.

The Captain
05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Boss Audio!
Jerk.

187flatliner
05-20-2012, 09:55 PM
actually there are other hu that will reset your volume and its a feature i love....my double din has it.....

bluetooth everything
touchscreen
dvd player
has 1/4 plug in (i believe)
also has usb (via cord tho)
sd card input (just transfer your usb music to sd card like ive done and scroll through your music)
outputs for everything you can think of
adjustable face (tilt)
has full features like volume reset.

best part, under 200.

ive had this unit for over a year and have had ZERO problems with it.

you can buy this at fry's but i've found it at wal-mart for cheaper.

heres a link.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SUMAS-MEDIA-7-Double-Din-Car-DVD-Player-with-Bluetooth/15599863

Hookecho
05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Pretty cool.