PDA

View Full Version : PS vacuum sensor

UtahSleeper
05-14-2012, 05:27 AM
So, on the bottom of my 165 PS pump there is a vacuum sensor type thing (have no idea on the name).

Both vacuum ports appear to be broken off. My question is, do all the celica's use this part and is it the same? Is there an important need for it(can I just block off there they would normally connect to)?

The Captain
05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm fairly sure it varies the power of the pump at different speeds. I bought a new one for Princess a while back. It was not cheap. Next time I go to pull a part I'll see if a car has one undamaged. FWIW the one on my truck looks identical.

Shadowlife25
05-14-2012, 10:40 PM
They basically used that same model part across a few different models in the Toyota line. I pulled a replacement for my AllTrac out of an 90's Camry that was actually metal instead of plastic. Cant hurt to look at your local wrecker. Just look at any Toyota with power steering really.

UtahSleeper
05-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks. Wanted to make sure before I go junkyard hoping. Would hate to remove shit on alot of different cars just to learn that none would work lol.

4thgenceli
05-15-2012, 12:39 AM
I have one sitting in my toolbox with one of the plastic nipples broken off. Whats funny is the pump on the st215 doesn't have that switch so I never bothered to replace it.

93celicaconv
05-16-2012, 02:27 AM
That unit is a vacuum switch. When the power steering pressure hose has a lot of pressure in it (power steering pump is working hard), this switch goes from normally closed to open. When it opens, it pulls air through it, with the vacuum coming from the intake manifold. When more air gets into the intake manifold, at least on MAP intakes, the engine runs a bit faster. This switch is much like the electric one used on A/C systems (speeds the engine up a bit when the A/C compressor kicks in).

alltracman78
05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah, it's the pwr steering idle up switch.
Works the same way on MAP and AFM/MAF engines; it allows air to bypasses the throttle body and raises the idle.
Not required, you can block off the hoses [don't connect them or you will have permanent idle up] but you won't have idle up for the pwr steering then.