PDA

View Full Version : best way to recieve payment for a car?

lalojamesliz
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Anyone here with experience with escrow.com? Would PayPal charge a arm and a left nut for $4300? Any other suggestions?

METDeath
05-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Paypal would charge you an arm and a leg. I would prefer cash taken to a bank and checked for counterfeit. Then again, I've never bought or sold a car from a person, only to/from stealerships.

4thgenceli
05-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Certified cashiers check, something you can verify.

I'm presuming it's over the web. Have the buyer go get a certified check FROM THEIR BANK. When it arrives, take it to the same branch (if possible) to cash it. Otherwise cash it, tell the guy he needs to wait 7-10 days until the check clears before you'll ditch the car.

Waffles!
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Certified cashiers check, something you can verify.

I'm presuming it's over the web. Have the buyer go get a certified check FROM THEIR BANK. When it arrives, take it to the same branch (if possible) to cash it. Otherwise cash it, tell the guy he needs to wait 7-10 days until the check clears before you'll ditch the car.

This.

When I bought my MR2 from a guy in Virginia, this is how we did it. It worked very well.

Hipster Lawrence
05-10-2012, 11:28 PM
No title transfer until you have cash in hand. Never never take a cashiers check or money order as legit. I'm with Marshall on the cash too might be a good idea to verify the cash is legit as well

Murgatroy
05-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Gold bullion.

The Captain
05-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Chickens and goats.

But yeah, CASH. When I bought my 09 Tacoma, I had 18000 in my pocket. No questions asked.

4thgenceli
05-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Chickens and goats.

But yeah, CASH. When I bought my 09 Tacoma, I had 18000 in my pocket. No questions asked.

Give me a 2 day notice next time you go to buy a vehicle please, thanks.

lalojamesliz
05-11-2012, 06:20 AM
lol

The Captain
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Give me a 2 day notice next time you go to buy a vehicle please, thanks.
Wear a bullet proof vest.

4thgenceli
05-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Deal.

lalojamesliz
05-11-2012, 07:29 PM

in that case i would make sure the life insurance is paid up to date....just saying :)

well guys thanks for the advice but after asking my kids last night when i took them out for a 1 hour around town drive if they wanted to sell the all-trac and get a newer,slightly bigger car with AC or for me to keep the all-trac, they said to keep the all-trac :) the funny part is my daughter asked me if the newer car will be faster (with a smile) lol i told her mabey. my little speed demond :) i actually bought a new 2012 wrx a couple days ago and thats why i decided to put the all-trac for sale. i did some research on the wrx but after i filled out some of the papers and made it mine for when it arrived at the subaru dealership i did extensive research (i know i messed up, i should have done that first) and saw how any mods that i would have done could have the dealership deny me for warranty repairs if they thought it had something to do with what was wrong. for example, one of the many "subaru denied my warranty service" threads i read on the subaru foums the guy posted a letter he got from subaru and it said since he had a aftermarket intake and exhaust and his tires showed uneven wear showing he's been "launching" they were deniying him warranty service. what kind of crap is that! one of the biggest things that turned me away was the threads that had transmission damage (stripped gears in the trans) and all of them ended with the dealer denied service because the dealers say that only happens from abuse. yes this was on some of the newest models. So since the wrx i semi bought is not in until the 21st im going to call later today or tomorrow and cancel. i just bought a new 2-way alarm for my all-trac and im going to stop messing with the rc helicopters ive been messing with recently and concentrate on my all-trac again :) http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-BLH3580

klapa
05-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Sounds like good and necessary choices to me - sort of mirrors some of the few paths I have walked along in my "car choices meanderings"...

I still hold out on one thing that you did not mention there - NO OBDII unless it is a very new car that is well guaranteed.

Or did you say that?

alltracman78
05-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Nothing wrong with OBDII, I just stay away from cars with more than 1 complex computer.

85gtsblackman
05-15-2012, 06:25 AM
Nothing wrong with OBDII, I just stay away from cars with more than 1 complex computer.

then thers always 2bl