PDA

View Full Version : Need some help planning an audio system

4thgenceli
05-08-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm really looking to start daily driving Jasmine here (well as soon as I get the transmission back on and get it registered).

Anyway I can't daily drive a vehicle without tunes. I need music. At first I'll be fine driving it without one so I can hear the motor and make sure everything sounds right and get used to all the old creaks (still have some sway bar bushings that need replacement). My last system I had was a basic Pioneer head unit, ipod controller and a 10" sub with amp. No speaker changes, just head unit & subwoofer.

I'm hoping this amp I have sitting around still works. As of now I'm looking at starting with this:

Amp:
Fosgate 200a4 4channel amp. I don't know if this is good or not or if it even works, it's been sitting around for a while now. This'll run my dash and rear speakers.

Mid/High speakers:
Infinity Kappa 42.9i for the front and rear. These have tweeters, I'm not sure if I will get these or buy the Reference X-REF speakers.

First choice:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108429I/Infinity-Kappa-42-9i.html?tp=102

Second choice:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R4002CX/Infinity-Reference-X-REF-4002cfx.html?tp=102

Alternatively, I may get the Kappa in the front and X-REF in the rear.

I don't need a ton of bass (granted I enjoy a good beat) so I'm looking at a single 8" just to give a bit of depth with an appropriate amp

I'm having issues tracking down the head unit I want to use.

What do I want?

Multi RCA output (front/rear/sub) so I can just run 3x RCA cables to the amps.

Bluetooth ability
-I want to stream streaming audio (Pandora/Slacker or MP3's) from my phone
-Also I want phone ability to answer/etc phone calls though the car

USB port and/or AUX port

Any pointers on a head unit/sub/amp to compliment the rest of the system?

MrWOT
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Headunit is going to depend on the amp you use. Get a headunit that will drive it at as close as you can get to maximum input voltage if you want to minimize amp gain.

What's yer budget?

If you're gonna use that amp, I'd recommend you get a headunit with a decent internal amp and run speakers off that and bridge the amp to drive the sub(s)

Pretty much every modern-ish HU will have usb and aux. Pandora via BT is your most premium feature.

Luni
05-08-2012, 10:50 PM
If youre going to run an 8, you might as well run a 10 and have a much more well rounded setup. Unless trunk space is really at a premium. Is Jasmine a hatchback or a coupe? If its a coupe, you need even more bass in the trunk to compensate.

As for the speakers, the ones youve chosen are crap. All coax speakers are pretty much crap. I can probably get you a much better deal on a set of components. In fact, I have a set of 4 inch old school Kappa Components. Find a way/place to mount the tweeters (they dont have their OG mounting gear) and youre set.

As for an amp, what I always recommend to people who want to run stuff on the cheaper spectrum, is run your front components off the front channel of your amp. Run your rear speakers (dont get anything special for the rear), off the deck. And run the rear channels of the amp bridged to the subwoofer.

As for the headunit, Kenwood is my brand of choice if I have to go with something brand new. Dont be a cheapass on your headunit. Its probably the most important part of your system. Go check out the Kenwood Excelon x996. Since you run an android phone, thats the headunit Id recommend.

4thgenceli
05-08-2012, 11:14 PM
It's a liftback.

I was just at Audio Express checking out the various headunits they have. The guy suggested the one you mentioned. I think I'll be going with that headunit. I'm not on a baller budget, but want a decent listening system with a lil' punch to it (which is why I was looking 8"). I could squeeze a 10" in there, I'd just stick it opposite where the battery sits to somewhat level out the rear weight.

MrWOT
05-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Take a look at the one I'm putting in my Regal. JVC KD-A95BT. Will set you back about $250.

4thgenceli
05-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Take a look at the one I'm putting in my Regal. JVC KD-A95BT. Will set you back about $250.

Have they picked up their game? Last I had experience with JVC it was Walmart quality, bottom of the barrel type shit that crack whores like.

**EDIT**
Now that I looked it up it appears to interface 100% with my phone. I can't seem to find any info if the Kenwood Luni suggested above is as seamless (it doesn't show the Motorola X735 on the list) as the JVC (many reviews I found said their Droid Bionic interfaces quite well with it).

MrWOT
05-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Arsenal series isn't like their mainstream stuff, much higher grade. Similar to Kenwoods eXcelon or Pioneer Premier

celica9303
05-10-2012, 01:05 AM
I like pioneer and eclipse for head units.
Sub wise I like jl audio and alpine and Orion.

Have a older Panasonic headunit in the 4runner but it came with the truck, and was made back when they made good quality units.

david in germany
05-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I have a almost new Alpine CDE-125bt for $150. Comes with the remote and ipod cable if you are interested. It is in mint condition. The only drawback is that it only has a single pair of RCA outs.

4thgenceli
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking of using Rob's method of wiring, fronts off amp, rears off HU and sub off rear (which'll work, I have what I hope is a working 4ch amp). I'll bounce the idea around DiG...

Luni
05-11-2012, 12:23 AM
JVC is owned by Kenwood now.

Luni
05-11-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm thinking of using Rob's method of wiring, fronts off amp, rears off HU and sub off rear (which'll work, I have what I hope is a working 4ch amp). I'll bounce the idea around DiG...

Thats my idea dickhead.

4thgenceli
05-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Thats my idea dickhead.

Eh? I don't follow...

METDeath
05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Thats my idea dickhead.

Aren't you Rob?

Dickhead.

4thgenceli
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
/Thread Derail/

ON another note, I just bought a JVC unit for my wife's car.

Luni
05-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Anyone fail to notice the "ninja" edit in my post? He totally said he was going to try WOTs idea.

So yeah, fuck you. Dickheads!

MrWOT
05-12-2012, 03:20 AM
The great irony is that I'm Rob too :hehe:

david in germany
05-12-2012, 10:02 AM
I have told people to do this for years....

METDeath
05-12-2012, 01:11 PM
The great irony is that I'm Rob too :hehe:

We got too many fucking Robs around here, good thing I never mention any of you by name...

187flatliner
05-13-2012, 12:05 AM
i run coaxials and their great.....no bass but great voice....i've got enough bass in the back already so im set.....

im running a cheap hu tho......but will be upgrading to the new double din alpine soon.

Luni
05-13-2012, 07:32 AM
^If you think coaxials are "great" then youve never owned a good set of components. Difference is night and day in the separation of everything

MrWOT
05-13-2012, 06:54 PM
:stupid:

Coaxials are fine as long as you just want something to listen to. If you're looking for an immersive experience, look to components.

4thgenceli
09-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I have it two two head units.

JVC Arsenal KD-A735BT
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDA735B/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A735BT.html

Kenwood KDC-BT652U
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT652U/Kenwood-KDC-BT652U.html

I've played with both in the store and like both if them. They're about teh same price, I just can't decide. Also Holy crap on component 4" speakers?! The only ones I'm finding are in the 250+ range :(

bloodMoney
09-21-2012, 07:19 PM
You've gotta pay to play Timmah... The setup that's in Abby right now is all eclipse with an older Kenwood HU up front.

I've been running Kenwoods since my first aftermarket HU... I love them.

david in germany
09-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Tim, I know where you can get a set of SAS 4" components for $180 shipped. Sound quality wise they are the equivalent of old school Boston pro series. I picked up a set but the mids are too deep for my install but would work in a Celica.

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server