PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure gauge

jdm_celica_gts
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Where can I get an adapter to plug in my glow shift gauge?
It has to go from metric to standard threads right?

Eric Barrera
05-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I just went to autozone and got a 2 way adapter. So I still use my stock oil pressure sensor, and my aftermarket one. I believe it was NPT

4thgenceli
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I just went to autozone and got a 2 way adapter. So I still use my stock oil pressure sensor, and my aftermarket one. I believe it was NPT

Have fun when your oil pressure hole on the head cracks from too much weight.

Take the stock sending unit to a store and find the right fitting. It's usually 1/8" BST. The Glowshift is identical to mine, the sending unit is ginormous. I'm going to use a 90 degree off the head, then use a stainless steel line to a T where I can connect my stock sending unit and my aftermarket.

SubrinaIsMyCar
05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I was thinking about getting on too... I don't know if it looks ricey with all those guages.

jdm_celica_gts
05-07-2012, 06:00 AM
So the t has to be bst threads?
Will the glow shift sending unit thread into that since its the standard threads?

CriScO
05-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Dammit Tim, it's BSP, not BST! :hehe:

CriScO
05-07-2012, 06:05 AM
I should probably add, it's best to get a 1/8 BSP to 1/8 NPT adapter, and thread a standard 1/8 tee into that. You'll never find a tee with both.

jdm_celica_gts
05-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Wouldn't the stock sending unit still not thread in right cause of the threads?

Hipster Lawrence
05-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Dammit Tim, it's BSP, not BST! :hehe:

Actually it's BSPT BSP or BSPP refers to the non tapered pipe thread. Like what Toyota sometimes uses for coolant temp sensors. BSPP requires a washer or an o ring BSPT does not.

4thgenceli
05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Blah Blah Blah.

I was close :P I know i need to convert from B*something to N*something

jdm_celica_gts
05-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Yes or no? How different are the threads?

Hipster Lawrence
05-12-2012, 05:26 PM
NPT is 28 thread per inch BSPT is 27. At least for most sizes you'll deal with on a car.

Luni
05-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Shaved man knows what he's talkin about.

klapa
05-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Actually it's BSPT BSP or BSPP refers to the non tapered pipe thread. Like what Toyota sometimes uses for coolant temp sensors. BSPP requires a washer or an o ring BSPT does not.

That's interesting - I always knew there was NPT (National Pipe Thread) and what I thought was BPT (British Pipe Thread) - but did not know about a distinction between tapered and non-tapered pipe thread - I always assumed all pipe thread was tapered. Do AN fittings have the NPT equivalent of this non-tapered pipe thread?

Anyway - if you have trouble finding it - McMaster-Carr has it all - the greatest hardware store in the universe.

I gues then - that generically speaking - all European auto-makers went with the British pipe thread? I ask because once I had an emergency with a mid 70's Corolla OP sensor - and a friend had a Volkswagen bus he was storing on my land. The VW OP sensor just threaded right in a worked like a charm till I could get the right one.

Hipster Lawrence
05-14-2012, 02:45 AM
NPT national pipe taper
NPP national pipe parallel (never seen one)
BSPP British standard pipe parallel.
BSPT British standard pipe taper.

AN fittings just use standard SAE threads. And a 37 degree taper for the sealing surface. The threads don't seal anything.

http://www.gre6.com/ansize

jdm_celica_gts
05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
So I still don't know how the stock sending unit would thread into the npt t, I can't find another adapter to convert npt male to bspt female.
What am I missing here?
Anyone have a picture of there oil pressure sending units hooked up?

Hipster Lawrence
05-22-2012, 01:29 AM
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=56

4thgenceli
05-22-2012, 02:06 AM
^^ werd.

If you use that, I highly suggest bracing the sender. There is a chance it will break (the head) due to the excess weight. I'm going to get one of those, but then thread in a stainless steel line and route the sender back a bit where I can secure it somewhere and the weight isn't hanging off the head.

jdm_celica_gts
05-22-2012, 03:51 AM
I was planning on mounting it against the fender wall.
How much extra oil will I need if I run if I add the hoses and everything, probably not too much right?

Hipster Lawrence
05-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Probably an ounce or 2.

If you read the product description they suggest mounting the senders remote as well.

jdm_celica_gts
05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Didn't think it was much, so make a bracket that holds them to the fender wall and that keeps the sender from moving in any direction, correct?