PDA

View Full Version : Vibration at all speeds ST-185 All-Trac

Blu4vu
05-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Hello all, I have a issue with a mystery vibration from the front end at all speeds. I tried tried replacing both front bearings, steering rack, tie rod ends and tires, and it still does it. The vibration only happens above 30 mph in gear and while coasting in neutral with the clutch in and out. HELP!

Eric Barrera
05-06-2012, 01:21 AM
alignment ?

shreddr69
05-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Carrier bearings a.k.a. drive shaft bearings. My car does the same thing. I'm going to toyota this week to order replacements. I think there are two of em'. My mechanic buddy confirmed the issue. Good luck and let us know if that is the issue. It sounds like you've gone through a lot of other stuff.

Blu4vu
05-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Thank you all for the replies, this vibration was happening before the engine swap too and during that time only one axle was changed along with one carrier bearing. As soon as I can I will replace the other one to see if that helps thank you all so much!

MCcelica
05-06-2012, 06:53 AM
It could also be a simple balancing issue with the wheel. Those are generally more speed sensitive than rev sensitive. Most large tire shops (IE: Discount, or BigO) will balance for free if you buy tires from them. Could be worth checking out. Could be worth it to stop by where you last bought tires and ask for a balancing.

Galcobar
05-06-2012, 09:36 AM
You mention getting new tires, so that suggests the vibration has lasted through two sets of tires. Makes it less likely it's a wheel balancing issue, though I'd still take MCelica's advice to get that checked. However, it hasn't been clarified if a four-wheel alignment was done at any point. It's quite possible the alignment was out before the engine swap, and if one wasn't done after each time you disassemble the front suspension it's going to be misaligned now, allowing the problem to persist.

Beyond which, need to clarify something. Is this an All-trac in which you replaced the engine, or a 2WD Celica into which you swapped the 3SGTE?

Blu4vu
05-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes this is an All-Trac, I am 100% certain it is not the tires. This vibration shakes everything in the interior. It is my brother in laws car, I just work on it. I am waiting on him right now to get a new carrier bearing. Thanks everyone you all are much better that the other Celica All Trac site :)

gtfourdreams
05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
get it on a lift and start shaking the suspension and steering components. you'll find it sooner or later.

Blu4vu
05-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Hello again, the vibration has been fixed. The driver side wheel bearing from" O'Really" Cheap Auto failed at 3 months after install, we proceeded to replace it with a higher quality one. Problem solved. Thanks for all the help guys! I also installed some Megan Racing Coilovers while I was at it too :) http://i46.tinypic.com/o92ziw.jpg