PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the sound in my Regal

MrWOT
05-02-2012, 05:42 PM
So I decided that I could no longer live with the oem radio in my 97 Regal, having no USB jack and a craptastic soundstage.

I yanked the front 5 1/4s and 1/2" tweeters and fitted JBL GTO508C ( http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/product/productDetails.jsp?pid=GTO508C ) components with a little shoehorning and grinding and filling. The tweeters took a LOT of shoehorning. Had to carefully cut off the grills to get the factory panels to seal.

The rear 6x9s got replaced with a pair of CDT ES-0690 Gold Subs ( http://www.cdtaudio.com/series/subwoofers/es0690gold.htm ), yes, 6x9 subs. They are a free firing design as there is no backing in the trunk and I didn't want to build one.

Amplifier is a Planet Audio PA4004. 4ch 100RMS@4ohm (old amp so look up the specs if you're bored). Very clean sounding, accepts 5V preamp, so gain is minimal.

All of the above I already installed and tested with a cheap JVC deck. So I could have it ready for the head unit when it arrives ~next wed.

Head Unit: JVC Arsenal KD-A95BT ( http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029020&pathId=142&page=1 )
5V preamp, Ti/Burr DACs, Time correction, 5 band eq. (though to be honest I got it for the BT streaming and the 1A usb ports :p would have picked up an Eclipse otherwise). Just ordered from Crutchfield a few mins ago (love them, still honored an expired discount for me!)

Crossovers are handled by the head unit, the amp, and external crossovers on the JBL components. Though I'm only running the subs to 120hz until I can get ahold of a more suitable filter for the extended subs.

I'll update with some pictures when the head unit arrives. The R800 I used to test things just whet my appitite.

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-02-15/1234713403425.jpg

david in germany
05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Nice selection of gear man, looks like you shopped wisely!

MrWOT
05-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks, it was your BMW thread made me crave finishing it. To boot my promedia 5.1 system is non-op due to a bad control pod cable end and I'm having the hardest time contacting someone who can repair/source it.

Music should be felt clearly down to your bones :) Nothing like it.

david in germany
05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Truth! It does feel good to get the sounds up to par!
I still need to run better wire to my subs and install my processor and do some tuning.

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server

MrWOT
05-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Had a little bit of alt whine with the test deck installed so today I ran new power/ground lines (4ga) from the bat to behind the glovebox and put little fused distribution blocks on each (200amp fuse on cable). 8ga wire from neg block to body metal.

Now not only am I sure everything will have a good ground, but I'm also rewiring all the 12V/lighter ports in the car to the blocks, and it's convenient for all the future bits to come (gauges and gadgetry)

I also added a ground from the alt case to B-, cleaned/sanded the chassis to B- cable and coated with red battery terminal protectant after putting back on (factory didn't ground these very well..... I'm worried about the alt keeping up, we'll see....

rizin
05-07-2012, 04:24 AM
I just have to ask why does no one run a dedicated ground when making the positive lead bigger? Steel is such a poor conductor compared to the copper or aluminum is why I ask.

david in germany
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
If you want good power, first thing you should do is upgrade the stock grounds. I reccomend 4g or larger for the following, engine to body, battery to body (to 2 different points is better than to a single location) and battery to engine. If you do this there is no need for a dedicated ground wire to be run ever.

MrWOT
05-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Deck is installed in dash kit, wired and run through basic setup.

Took a bunch of pics, but very bad quality and need resizing after I uploaded a few and looked. Don't know if I'll bother. Am sure glad to have real sound again. My fiance has a basic Kenwood deck with cheap "high-end" car parts store speakers. I plugged her thumb drive in and played a few of her favorite songs. She sat there openmouthed after we had just listened to them in her Accord. :hehe: And I quote...

"I can't believe the difference! I couldn't tell before hearing yours, but there are so many instruments and notes I can't hear in my car... They're like different songs!"

Clear as glass and just as sharp. WOT seal of approval granted :bigthumbu

MrWOT
12-06-2012, 12:38 AM
So after weeks of endless minute changes to my system, I have been so far, unable, to figure out where the hell the noise I can hear on my speakers is coming from.

I have, in the past weeks done the following.

Moved all speaker and power leads as far as possible aparts, now in the carpet hold downs on opposite sides of the car.
Cleaned every ground and power lead on the damn vehicle, greased and sealed.
Installed shielding on the amp leads and head unit leads.
Torn out much of my already sparse hair.

So I haven't made any more progress in a while because I'm out of ideas excepting installation of a ground loop isolator, which I refuse to do.

So the GS turned 150K the other day and I figured I'd update the fuel pump. Got a brand new Bosch assembly (sending unit is part of pump). Yesterday the wife mentions to me that the stereo sounds much clearer and I realized the noise was GONE.

It was the damned fuel pump. Never would have guessed in a million years.

Hookecho
12-06-2012, 04:02 AM
So was the pump whining or was it causing an electrical interference.

MrWOT
12-06-2012, 04:05 AM
interference

Hookecho
12-06-2012, 04:08 AM
I'll be damned.