PDA

View Full Version : "System 8" configuration question

METDeath
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
So I'm converting my GT's audio system over to "System 8" with some JDM door cards, and was planning my amp build to include a 6 channel amp (dash speakers (incl. tweeters), door speakers, rear speakers) and a mono amp for a sub box.

Question is this: should the door speakers be duplicates of the dash, or a sum of the dash/rears?

david in germany
04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
by running the doors full range you are wasting their capabilities. run them as "mid bass" if you are using separate subs. run them with the fronts but only give them about 500hz and below. If 500 hz is too high for your tastes try dropping them by 100hz at a time to get the sound you like.

METDeath
04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, I have SSMB8s (DiG if you have something better that's still an 8" MB driver, I'm open to suggestions) for the doors, I was going to tune the frequency to match as much as I could on the amp (most likely with a JL XD600/6) I was just curious as to which channels people think I should use to feed that channel. I have a 6 output HU (front/rear/sub).

david in germany
04-30-2012, 07:45 PM
if you have 6 channels plus an additional sub amp run them as subs as well from the sub channels on the 6 channel. Make sure that you use enough deadener to tone down the rattles you may have. My BMW is a bit similar but without the subs in the rear although the subs are under the front seats vented to the body cavity. I am running an Alpine MRX- V60 for the entire system and 5 channels is plenty!

METDeath
04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Okay, just figured I'd post here before I bought anything expensive like the amps.

Any suggestions for something more modern than the SSBM8s?

david in germany
04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
No the kickers are good speakers, run them.

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server

METDeath
04-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Well, like I said, I haven't bought the "main" amp yet, so I can go with something different, I have a two channel amp that I was going to use on the Kickers initially, so I may still go with that and use a 5 channel amp instead of the 6. Then use the 5-channel's sub channel for the rear subs I have.