PDA

View Full Version : ST165 TB coupler quick fix?

UtahSleeper
04-25-2012, 07:34 PM
So, the TB coupler that attachs to the TB and IC on my alltrac has a chunk of rubber missing from the inside and I am curious what is the best temporary fix for this? I was thinking silicon or something.

I know the best option would be to get a new one, but I am just trying to get the car reassembled for now so I can start it and see what it really needs. And I dont want to spend money on parts that I may not be using shortly after (I have a 3sge manifold I may be installing shortly after).

Thanks.

Hookecho
04-25-2012, 09:08 PM
When you say rubber missing from the inside what do you mean? Like a hole or split all the way through? I guess you could wrap a few layers of duct or gorilla tape around the hole. It will hold fine for idling the engine and driving at low throttle in vacuum. Wont hold boost pressure though.

UtahSleeper
04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
The coupler seems to have a hard plastic outside then a rubbery material lining the inside of that. The rubber is what has a chunk missing out of it. Odds are I could use it as is to get it running, but it could cause obvious issues. May try duck tape after trying to start it, but was hoping to do something that would make it useable for when trying to start that wouldn't need to be removed immediately.

Luni
04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Dude, the car will start with a pretty good sized vacuum leak on it.

However, that said, you could probably use window weld, or just FIPG to fix it. FIPG is some serious shit.

UtahSleeper
04-26-2012, 03:13 AM
May try that. I just want to patch it up enough to try and rule out little shit that is caused by vacuum leaks if it does start easily. I have already come to grips that I will be taking it all apart again anyway lol

CollapsedNut
04-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Go find a big radiator hose at the auto parts and cut a section for what you need?

T-spoon
04-27-2012, 01:26 AM
If you're trying tape, try Rescue Tape. That stuff is the shiz.

Luni
04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
or Gorilla tape...

shreddr69
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
what good is the 3sge manifold on the alltrac??? As far as a quick fix, get the correct size pvc pipe and silicone it on the inside of the coupler. Don't know if it'll work but it sounds good, in theory.

Murgatroy
05-25-2012, 08:00 PM
what good is the 3sge manifold on the alltrac??? As far as a quick fix, get the correct size pvc pipe and silicone it on the inside of the coupler. Don't know if it'll work but it sounds good, in theory.

The 3SGE intake is a side feed, it offers easier routing when adding a FMIC. Rumor also has it that is fixes a lean condition the factory top feed intake has.

shreddr69
05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
oh, cool, learned something! Just like every time I scope these pages!!