PDA

View Full Version : piecing togather a swap vs. buying complete.

celica9303
04-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Anyone done it this way? I only ask because I try and try to save to buy a complete gen 3 swap but always run into a situation where we need the money for more important family related things.

So im thinking of sourcing what I will need over time....good idea bad idea? I realize it will be more expensive in the end, and I plan on going through the engine and drivetrain before I install anyway to do new seals and gaskets ect. Bloodmoney told me that the gen3 heads are hard to come by, but with all my resources available to me (here, mr2oc,Alltrac.net,Ebay,6gc.net, dealer parts dept....) I should beable to get everything as long as im patient and smart about purchases.

Yes I want to do a gen 3,no desire to build a gen 2. Doing I this way will also let me add in what after market pieces I want also( rods pistons, head work, cams..ect )as I see fit. Not looking for lots of power just maybe a little over stock out put of a 3rd gen 3sgte.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Time line is ~year to gather parts put it all togather proplerly(machining, honing,wiring, whatever is needed) and in the car operational

vip09
04-22-2012, 07:26 AM
You can get a gen3 engine set pretty cheap these days compared to a few years ago... I would just buy the whole thing instead of piecing it together. That's what I am doing right now and it's a PAIN.

l0ch0w
04-22-2012, 02:31 PM
^feel ur pain... thats what i did too... I spent almost 6 months looking for that stupid lower bracket that goes behind the cam gears... I probably spent twice the money doing it this way... but I had no need for alot of the gen 3 parts like block, rods, pistons etc...

celica9303
04-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Only problem is I dont need the Trans(awd) and big heavy stuff is hard to sell....so all I really need is a long block and an Mr2 turbo trans, and I cant find a swap even on Ebay for under 3g. So thats why im wondering if this way is better for me Co.sidering the drivetrain I wont even use.

4thgenceli
04-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Venus auto.

95% chance you'll fine aST215 motor, auto ecu and harness for around $900.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

celica9303
04-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Dont want a gen 4 between tecker zen and speedricer all a
Havinv to either swap in a second engine with a year or 2 or rebuild it I tbink im gonna stay clear of a gen 4 + youve have your share of issues too

4thgenceli
04-23-2012, 03:35 AM
My issue isn't my motor, its me.

I don't know about them, but I tore mine down and inspected it and all thresholds were well under spec.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Tecker184
04-23-2012, 06:08 AM
My engine failed from ignition issues, same with zen if i remember correctly. The pins in the plugs that go into the coil packs wear causing it to get a poor connection. I had a really bad missfire for a year that i couldnt figure out, if i caught it sooner I would have been fine. The gen3 has cast pistons too, missfire, dentonation, or too much boost will crack ring-lands. It dont matter what generation you get.

You can find the gen4 3sgte on eBay with a fwd LSD trans for $1600 shipped. Plenty of people running them on mr2oc with out issues. Best bang for you buck if you ask me, mines never left me stranded.

celica9303
04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
@tim- ahh ok I thought it was a bad motor.

@tecker-do you think its the cop thats the issue you had? Glad to know your second engine is better. That makes me feel better about a possibility of a gen 4

I think Eric's(speedricer) issues is too much boost causing bad pistons or something.

You can get a fwd gen 4? Hmmmm ill have to consider that now too see as many people say not to piece it together.

Tecker184
04-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah once I changed the plugs to the coils it ran great. Haven't had any issues since, all the plugs look clean. One cylinder was always black or wet before.

Yeah you can get the swaps with a fwd trans. If you don't see one on eBay just message them they prolly have one in stock.

celica9303
04-24-2012, 02:58 AM
Consensus is still that its better to buy complete swap rather then piecing parts togather?

I did find a shortblock/rotating assembly for a gen 3 but idk how bad shipping would be, IMO the extra shipping cost for each part/parts is where the true added expenses are gonna be....

alltracman78
05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Even if you already had parts you're better off buying the whole thing. That way you don't have to try to find all the stupid little parts most people don't sell.