PDA

View Full Version : heat shields vs no heat shields

jdm_celica_gts
04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I have heard they help (of course because its keeps heat down) but I have also heard its ruins stuff because the extra heat makes the metal brittle.

Any thoughts?
Personal experiences.

Lonestag
04-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Just my thoughts, I would say that if you are doing a lot of highway driving, leaving them off should be fine, but if you spend a lot of time sitting in traffic, I would leave them on.

I do know that they have a tendancy to rust-weld on, so might be a good idea to at least take them on-off once before that happens.

Hipster Lawrence
04-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Did the car come with them? They are there for a reason...

jdm_celica_gts
04-18-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't mean the stock ones, I'm talking about like heat wraps for headers, exhaust, intercooler piping, or the turbo blankets or whatever there called.

Sorry should of specified better!

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Cheap wrap burns.

jdm_celica_gts
04-19-2012, 12:55 AM
I was thinking about the titanium wrap.
But was wondering if anyone has experience with these?
Wether it makes the metal brittle and more prone to cracking or whether its just fine.
I have head stories about both, so I'm just curious about what people on here say.

Eric Barrera
04-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Cheap wrap burns.

lmfao, oh memories of cylinder 1 and 4 glowing red.

Anyways, I put some wrap on, and it does help, if I open my bay after a 1 hour drive it's not as hot as it was without it, then again, I did get my alltrac hood.

Galcobar
04-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Cheap metal doesn't appreciate the heat, but that's an issue related to the construction of the exhaust. The other issue is that moisture can get trapped under a wrap -- and you know what trapped moisture does.

Consider the effectiveness of ceramic coatings.

Hipster Lawrence
04-19-2012, 03:11 AM
Oh ok. I'm running header wrap it works amazingly well. I cant comment on what it does to the metal underneath but every wrap manufacturer warns that it will shorten the life of the header. I wouldn't have used it if I didn't have a spare header.

jdm_celica_gts
04-19-2012, 03:12 AM
Is there anywhere to coat it after you buy it?