PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen strut mounts

cklamp
04-13-2012, 08:32 PM
any brands better than others? or are they all relatively the same? I'm a little cash poor right now, so any of the ebay ones decent quality?

Later
C

4thgenceli
04-13-2012, 08:35 PM
KYB is stock. You can pick them up for like $50/mount at the parts store. I'm sure RockAuto would have them cheaper than that though.

cklamp
04-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Looks like rock wants about 50$ each for the fronts and rears...

Later
C

cklamp
04-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Also, is there any kind of "test" to see if you really need to replace them? or is it just kind of required when you change the struts? I didn't see anything that leads me to believe one way or the other in the bgb.

Later
C

Galcobar
04-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Clunking from the strut mounts is a clear sign they need replacing. However, my strut mounts were not clunking when I replaced them along with my struts, and they definitely needed replacing.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Galcobar/P1060325-Web.jpg

That photo doesn't show the cracked rubber around the centre portion, but you get the idea. If they're stock, replace them.

4thgenceli
04-14-2012, 02:45 AM
If you have the cash, replace them.

If the rubber inner part falls off the mount, replace them

If teh rubber inner looks damaged at all, replace them

If you don't and they fail, you'll clunk every time the suspension bottoms out (because the shock will be hitting something).

CollapsedNut
04-14-2012, 03:23 AM
I got my mounts from rockauto, they were some random off brand but work just fine. Think I paid like $30 each for them

cklamp
04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
dang galcobar that looks terrible:) no clunking or anything coming from mine, or even bottoming out. Mine actually look pretty fantastic (car was garaged every day of it's life for 105k miles), but i'll probably try to save some cash and replace them anyways and just do the job in a couple months.

My suspension is in pretty good shape, bounce test came out good, but I'm still trying to figure out my "wandering" problem, and haven't been able to narrow it down. The guys at Midas suggested it could have something to do with the stock strust/mounts/etc that are on the car as it's got ~110k on it now, but they couldn't find any obviously apparent reason for the car to do it.

later
C

4thgenceli
04-15-2012, 06:55 PM
dang galcobar that looks terrible:) no clunking or anything coming from mine, or even bottoming out. Mine actually look pretty fantastic (car was garaged every day of it's life for 105k miles), but i'll probably try to save some cash and replace them anyways and just do the job in a couple months.

My suspension is in pretty good shape, bounce test came out good, but I'm still trying to figure out my "wandering" problem, and haven't been able to narrow it down. The guys at Midas suggested it could have something to do with the stock strust/mounts/etc that are on the car as it's got ~110k on it now, but they couldn't find any obviously apparent reason for the car to do it.

later
C

Mine were 10x worse on Jasmine. When i jacked up the front end, the passenger wheel literally fell out.

I don't think wandering would be caused by strut mounts honestly.

Galcobar
04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Wandering when you hold the wheel straight, or wandering when you let go of the wheel?

cklamp
04-17-2012, 02:11 AM
When i'm driving normally the wheel shakes a bit. it doesn't seem bad to me, and just seems like normal "road shake", but my gf really doesn't like that... When driving on the freeway at freeway speeds the tires tend to "grab" and "pull" me one direction or the other.

It's been suggested it's wheel bearings, but i've checked those over 2-3 times now at least and it doesn't seem like there's any play there. I've checked the inner and outter tie rods, as well as had a Midas look at them, and they said it all looks fantastic, that the cars in great shape. I've also had an alignment done as well, so that's covered.

It's only at freeway speeds, and only on certain parts where the tire could get in a "rut" so to speak. The midas guys also suggested it could be something with the rear suspension/links, etc...

It's been maddeningly frustrating to figure out.

later
C

KoreanJoey
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Alignment could be an issue there. Plus our roads suck.

cklamp
04-17-2012, 08:12 PM
alignment's been done though:( and you're right, our roads do suck, I see this in some real specific spots on I5 in fed way, 167 near kent, and 405 near renton.

But, I don't have this issue in the same areas on any other vehicles, and on the Celica it really seems like something is amiss, as when it "grabs" and wanders or pulls me, It takes a bit of force to get it 'unstuck'.

I have driven another 5k or so since I last checked the wheel bearings, so i'll probably try to check those again soon, and haven't check much on the rear end, so will have to dig into that as well.

later
C

KoreanJoey
04-17-2012, 08:15 PM
It might be the worn bushings in the control arms as well.

4thgenceli
04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
How are your tires? Have they been rotated lately? Any strange wear patterns on them?

cklamp
04-17-2012, 09:16 PM
they're in great shape. I've put 10k on the vehicle since I got it, and they still had some of the factory "nubbies" on them when I got it at 105k. They've been rotated, and neither the place that did the alignment, or the Midas shop noted anything amiss with them. I don't see anything funky with the wear pattern either, though i'm not an expert.

Maybe i'll rotate them once again for shits and giggles to see if anything changes.

I'll check the bushings out KJ, but I think the guys at Midas already did, and suggested everything looked good.

This is a little maddening, heh.

Later
C

KoreanJoey
04-18-2012, 06:34 AM
The front control arm and rear suspension links won't deflect without some serious pressure on them. Does the steering feel change when you get on the throttle or hit the brakes? That's usually a sign that they're toast (Most 5th gen bushings are toast due to their age).

cklamp
04-18-2012, 08:28 PM
The only thing I notice under acceleration, and even only then occasionally, is what i'd call "torque steer". Only seems to happen when the conditions are "right", slightly slippery, etc, and the wheel will jerk to one side.

Are those bushings part of any sort of maintenance schedule? or just 'replace when neeed', as the PO would have changed them if they were. This celica was really well taken care of, despite some of the issue i'm having. I don't think it ever did any highway miles, just backstreet stuff, and i'm seeing most of the issues while on the highway.

recommended replacements? maybe some poly stuff or something?

later
C

KoreanJoey
04-19-2012, 01:38 AM
No maintenance schedule for the bushings. You could do poly but you should know they definitely transmit more vibration into the car.

cklamp
04-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Got a part number for either the poly's or oem type? Nothing comes up at oreilly, autozone, or napa... The few rubber ones i've seen are from whiteline at something like 50$ each which seems ridiculous, but maybe i'm out of touch on what rubber should cost these days.

later
C

KoreanJoey
04-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Sorry I don't. I know that Toyota doesn't sell the bushings separately but I'm not familiar with what all is available.

I ran the SuperPro bushings in my car. You can get the part numbers off their website.

http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpro-parts-for-my-vehicle/vehiclelookup/TOYOTA-Celica-AT180-ST185-ST184--ST185-GT4/67-145-218

KoreanJoey
04-19-2012, 04:40 PM
I forgot to ask; what sort of tires are on your celica? A gripper tire is going to be more inclined to tramline and try to follow the contours of the road.

cklamp
04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
It looks like Toyoa 800 Ultra's in front, and Toyo Eclipse in the rear right now...

Looks like those bushings are a pita to get, or expensive. I'll have to save up for a bit before I can give that a try, but with everything that i've tried and checked so far, it seems like the most likely candidate for next steps.

Later
C