PDA

View Full Version : fwd to rwd

thatonedude
04-13-2012, 02:25 AM
lets see if this is possible on a 90 celica gts any ideas go for it. mines takeing the rear end and drive shaft
out of a rwd celica

crymson
04-13-2012, 02:36 AM
There're a couple of guys who've tried to convert fwd celicas into awd celicas. But there are a couple of concerns doing that.
1) the alltrac has a different subchasis than the fwd models, same body panels, but fundamentally different car.
2) The car will never be as strong, thus not as safe.
3) for the cost involved in this kind of conversion you could find and buy an alltrac and still have money left for some upgrades.

4thgenceli
04-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Pay my $6,000 and drop off your car I'll have it done in a month.

cms-gt4
04-13-2012, 04:37 PM
The first thing to check is that if your fwd celica already has the driveshaft tunnel. If it does, you are one step ahead. If it doesn't abandon the idea for this car. Then you next major purchase will be the rear celica floorpan. If the dealer still carries these they are abour 400usd. I would buy a new one over trying to salvage one from another car. Then you need to hunt down gtfour rear end and suspension, axles etc...
Engine will need new mounts welded in, as will the transmission. You will have to make a driveshaft, but there is plenty of that in the hot rodding world. You will also need to do something about the front hubs since there is no drive axles anymore.

There are at least 2 5th gens that are rwd. One was a gtfour, so it is of course easier. The other is in the US and has a ford v8 in it. It can be found in car domain by its huge pink widebody kit. There is at least 1 6th gen that runs down in I think PR that is a drag car with a taco engine. And of course there is a couple 5th gens and 6th gens that have been converted to awd.

So the project can be done, but you either have to be able to do quality welding or afford someone that can. And the over all project will not be cheap.

alltracNyx
04-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't think the rear floorpans are still available from the dealer.

cms-gt4
04-13-2012, 06:12 PM
They might not be available anymore, but they used to be. You can find the part number in the EPC or toyodiy.

58311 PAN, REAR FLOOR
58311‑20280
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1992_TOYOTA_CELICA_ST185L-BLMVZA_5801.html

You can always look to see if the rear 205 floor pan is still offered.