PDA

View Full Version : need help looking for a gates green stripe belt

lalojamesliz
04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
i need one for a 89 celica. its for my 91 all-trac but since i removed the a/c i need it for the 3sge. does anyone know what store sells the gates green stripe belts? i installed a new gates gator grip belt when i installed my new HO alternator but it still slips slightly at start up and above 5k rpm. mechman recommends the green stripe belt so thats what im looking for

sloceli
04-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Not sure of the brand but I got a belt from O'reilly's. It's more of a felt like material than the normal rubber one. It was for a 90-93 AllTrac without A/C if I recall. I cut my old belt and taped it at the diameter I needed, took it in and made them find me one that fit.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Call Carquest. I've bought every green stripe belt from them.

CollapsedNut
04-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I just buy the cheapest belt I can find. Never had problems with slippage if tensioned right, nor have I ever had a belt break*knock on wood*

lalojamesliz
04-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Call Carquest. I've bought every green stripe belt from them.
i forgot about carquest..... funny because i worked at a carquest wharehouse for 3 years.... i hated stocking the belts and hoses lol a box the size of a pallet and 4' tall full of just indivisual belts or hoses or sometimes both in the same box :( ill give them a call tomorrow

I just buy the cheapest belt I can find. Never had problems with slippage if tensioned right, nor have I ever had a belt break*knock on wood*
neither have i but i guess this new alternator requires alot more tension than the oem setting at higer rpm. i looked up the green stripe belt and i read those belts are made to take the harsh conditions of sudden loads from heavy duty alternators and other things better than a regular belt. i had my new belt tight but it just keeps getting streched enough for slight slippage.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-11-2012, 03:06 AM
My 4-groove green belt doesn't slip on my overdriven alternator. That's some gripping power!

lalojamesliz
04-11-2012, 06:07 AM
The stock is 5 grooves right? Yeah that must be doing good!

lalojamesliz
04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
i emailed the company "gates" and they said they currently dont have a green stripe option for that belt :( crap last night when i drove to work it seemed ok but my dash lights would still dimm when i had my radio all the way up and the bass would hit. i guess i just need some kind of capacitor for my amps.

Eric Barrera
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Have you done the big 3 upgrade? With 0 gauge wire?

My dash light flicker when I turn on my turn signals. My volt meter also registers a volt drop up and down

lalojamesliz
04-13-2012, 04:37 PM
i did it with 1/0 monster cable (brand) cable. i added a 2/0 copper cable from the alternator housing straight to the negative on my battery. mechman told me that was a must since my battery is in the rear cargo area/hatch area. i was thinking of getting a small kinetic battery instead of a capacitor to avoid my dimming lights but then i would need a isolator and who knows what else. im just going to leave it the way it is. im just beignvery picky lol

Hipster Lawrence
04-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Monster cable is most likely not rated for underhood temps. You should be using cable stamped with SAE1127.

As for belts i you want a quality belt try and find a mitsuboshi. Or you could always call Toyota and get one. I'd be surprised if either of those belts slip.

Really though are you sure you don't just have a shitty alternator? What kind of load are you putting on it? Competition stereo?

lalojamesliz
04-14-2012, 08:01 AM
ive been thinking of replacing that cable with some good weling cable but that will wait a while ive spent alot lately. its a mechman alternator and before they sent it out they tested it and it put out 156 amps at 800rpm and 171 at 1700 rpm. i seriously doubt a well known company like this will lie about the output on this alt.
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae12/lalojamesliz/2012-04-01154715.jpg
ill look at online toyota oem parts sellers for the belt and see what it costs. i just need a kinetic batt or something similar. i do notice a good diference with this alt though

lalojamesliz
05-24-2012, 04:10 AM
I found these.I'm not sure if they're green stripe belts but it says they are supposed to be very good. The gatorback belt I have right now is 39.5" and the closest one to that was 38.14". Bought it on Amazon for $22 http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catNavigate2&punchInID=608351
ill post my results.