PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Gurus, need your help

Grot
04-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Ok, so about 2 weeks ago i layed my bike down. Single vehicle accident. I layed it down on the left side at about 40 MPH. It slide aprox 70 feet. It has minor Cosmetic damage to the fairing, but that not my concern.

So it starts, and runs as i remember it running. The issue is when i start it in first, with the clutch engaged; it starts trying to move forward. So i know my clutch needs work.

Second issue, is when i layed it down, the shifter got bent inward to where it was contacting the bar the connects it to the transmission. so i bent it back out, and now it will shift from first to neutral, and back into first without any issue.
Whats concerning is that when attempting to into second or higher it doesnt want to shift. then if you sit and play with it for a couple minutes it will randomly shift into higher gear; for seemingly no reason.

Also when it laid down a twist off fluid cap fell out of the bike, and i cannot find where it goes. it doesnt have any residue on it or a smell to give me a hint whee it goes. Hell for all i know, its a spare that was sitting in the fairing.

Facime
04-08-2012, 09:55 AM
its possible you bent a shift fork internally when you laid it down. I would first make sure that you have the lever bend back to approximately correct postion and make sure its adjusted right (if its a rocker lever like the one on my seca, the length of the rod is important to determine throw).

The clutch adjustment is tricky on a lot of bikes and there is usually a sweet spot right between not engaging drive with the lever pulled and full grabbing when you release it. There should be both a dial on the handle to adjust the cable there, and one down at the case. They both have to be adjusted correctly for it to work right.

What kind of bike are we talking about here?

The Captain
04-08-2012, 12:44 PM
The issue is when i start it in first, with the clutch engaged; it starts trying to move forward.
You mean with your clutch DIS-engaged? As in drag?

Do you have a hydraulic clutch? Sounds like you might have got some air in it. If it's cable, sounds like an adjustment.

Need more info, make, model etc.

CollapsedNut
04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Fuck the bike. How are you? I love flameing squids when they go down with no gear;)

Facime
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Fuck the bike. How are you? I love flameing squids when they go down with no gear;)

ATGATT

Grot
04-08-2012, 10:13 PM
09 ninja 250

Clutch is cable.

Im fine, just about healed up now.