PDA

View Full Version : Capping unused coolant nipples

T-spoon
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Even the "heavy duty" vacuum caps don't last very long at all when used for this. A short piece of coolant hose with a bolt in the end works, but it's ugly and takes up space. Removing the nipple and tapping for a thread-in plug is tidy, but a lot of work.

Does anyone know where caps can be found that are actually made of appropriately heat and strength rated material to last at least as long as any normal coolant hose? I've searched all over the internet and came up empty. Hopefully they're out there and I just didn't know where to look.

4thgenceli
04-06-2012, 03:59 PM
I gave that up a while back. I tried 'heavy duty high heat' caps and they either melted or tore in two. I ended up using some steel putty, filling the nipple and sticking a hose on it.

Hookecho
04-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Hardware stores sell a rubber plug that has a threaded steel core and a bolt. They are cylinder shaped and work the same way an anchor does. As you screw the bolt in the rubber expands in the hole and holds very tight. I have successfully used these to plug a couple of coolant lines on the celica and they have held up for a couple of years now. I'll walk down to the shop and see if I have an unused one to take a picture of. If not just tell me the ID of the pipes and I'll go buy them and send them to you.

4thgenceli
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Hardware stores sell a rubber plug that has a threaded steel core and a bolt. They are cylinder shaped and work the same way an anchor does. As you screw the bolt in the rubber expands in the hole and holds very tight. I have successfully used these to plug a couple of coolant lines on the celica and they have held up for a couple of years now. I'll walk down to the shop and see if I have an unused one to take a picture of. If not just tell me the ID of the pipes and I'll go buy them and send them to you.

I'm lookin for one to cap the radiator nipple for the turbo.

Hookecho
04-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I couldn't find one in the shop. If you can't find them let me know.

The Captain
04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I like nipples.

Sorry, thought I saw "cappy" and "nipples" in the subject line.

Luni
04-06-2012, 07:34 PM
^ WIN!

T-spoon
04-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I like nipples.

Sorry, thought I saw "cappy" and "nipples" in the subject line.

Heh, I figured there'd be at least one such reply. Good show :hehe:

Thanks for the info, Hook, I'll check into that!