PDA

View Full Version : alternator wires

lalojamesliz
04-02-2012, 04:13 AM
With the help of 10ch0w I figured out the colors of the 3 wires that are on the alternator plug on the engine harness. The black wire that has the red stripe is the ignition right? Anyone know what the yellow and white wire are for? Th alt wire on the engine harness melted on my downpipe and was destroyed.

alltracman78
04-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Yellow is to the charge light on the comb meter, if voltage output drops the light comes on.
White is to the fusebox, the voltage reg in the alt uses it to check system voltage [so it can adjust alt output].

lalojamesliz
04-08-2012, 07:46 PM
I forgot about this, thanks alltracman78. I called mechman the first time and told them and they emailed the diagram to the wrong email address because he didn't understand when I told him my email. What bothered me was they didn't bother calling me to tell me they got the wrong email. The next day I called again and I had it sent to me. I just had to find out what the sense wire was (white) then the others were ign and the meter wire like you said. Overall I am not as happy as I thought I would be with the alternator because the voltage stays at 13.6-7 when my all-trac is up to temp and the other day I turned up my stereo and the dash lights were seriously dimming. I called mechman AGAIN and explained to Matthew (the big cheese over at Mechman ) and he told me since my battery is really discharged (12.0v resting) that is not helping the light dimming issue and since I have my battery relocated to the rear its very important that I ran a minimum of 2awg cable from the Alternator's casing to the negative on the battery. Grounding the negative on the battery and grounding the Alternator's casing to the chassis is not good enough since this alternator puts out 100 more amps than the stock could. I already ordered the cable and a battery charger I saw that was really good for my red top optima. I found a thread were some guy was saying he was having charging problems with his mechman alternator and dimming lights also. Mechman told him to run the negative from the alt to the battery also and then he replied how much of a difference it made and his charging issues went away

4thgenceli
04-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah with a relocated battery you should do the big 3 upgrade in the engine bay.

My battery is relocated and I get a got charge on my cluster gauge, and my battery in the back gets 14.x volts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lalojamesliz
04-08-2012, 09:07 PM
I have the big 3 upgrade already done. The voltage on the alt and the battery is still 13.6-7. Mechman told me that's normal even though my OEM alt would show 14.x. but when I would turn on the heater fan,rear window defroster,lights, push the brakes my OEM alt voltage would drop to mid 12's but with the mechman alt it stays at 13.6-7 and when I had my audio system on the voltage would rise to 14's when the bass would hit..... I'm just waiting for that cable I ordered to have a better ground system. Only thing that sucks is I have to run another cable through the body since I don't want it seen inside my all-trac