PDA

View Full Version : Planning a build

Acadian Racer
03-30-2012, 02:38 AM
I am currently in the preliminary planning stages of a major project. I am very new to forced induction and have spent the last couple of weeks reading and researching. I feel this has given me a good start but I know I still have a lot further to go. Therefore I am looking for some advice and opinions to help keep me on the right track.

I guess to start with I am planning on performing the swap. I currently have a 91 gts with a 5sfe and am planning on building a 3sgte to replace it.

My plans so far are to use Brian Crower internals using the parts found at the following link. http://www.briancrower.com/makes/toyota/3sgte.shtml

I am looking at the bc0350 spring and retainer kit, stainless steel valves with a 34.0 mm intake valve (bc3350) and 29.5 mm exhaust valve (bc3351), 6.0 mm valve guides, a bc0353 stroker kit with ACL bearrings and ARP fasteners throughout.
On the outside I am looking at a Turbonetics T04B/SV stage 2 with a .48 A/R (11029). Hoping for about 300 hp if the internals can handle this. I guess that is one of my major questions for you folks with more knowledge and experience than me (which is about everybody).I was intending to install an alltrac fuel pump for added fuel pressure. I also see that Turbonetics has recommendations of an Evolution or RG-45 waste gate and a Duo-35 or Godzilla for the bov.
After this I get completely lost as I try to continue learning. What kind of boost would I be looking at to accomplish this, do I need stand alone engine management, fuel injector sizing etc. I hope I'm not overwhelming anyone with all this it likely makes more sense to you than it does me. Just trying to get some sort of confirmation that I'm heading on the right track with all this as I continue to learn.

Acadian Racer
03-30-2012, 02:42 AM
I should add that I was thinking of using the transmission off my 5sfe as well as the axles. I already have a Centerforce stage 2 clutch installed.

4thgenceli
03-30-2012, 03:37 AM
I would read all the stickies at the top of this thread.

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. Couldn't figure out what motor to get (na vs. FI). I ended up going the turbo route. Also, if you're doing all that build, I wouldn't recommend using your s54 transmission. I'd upgrade to a mr2 or solora transmission (e153). I have a 93+ mr2 turbo tranny with a TRD LSD unit installed. Even though I didn't have 5th gear, it was able to hold 15lbs of boost and the power of the st215 motor.

Acadian Racer
03-30-2012, 04:00 AM
I have been through a lot of the stickies they have been very helpful and I am continuing to read them. That's what actually scared me away from the mr2 tranny because I was under the impression that I would have to build some hybrid axles for that option which didn't sound to be like my best option. I do have confidence in my abilities. If there is a good decscription or combination which has proven to be reliable I would feel very comfortable in taking on that task.

4thgenceli
03-30-2012, 04:33 AM
It's not that bad really.

I have the e153. I'm using non-LSD mr2 inner stubs, and St165 outter shafts. They bolted right up with no issues.

Acadian Racer
04-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Does anyone here have experience with apexi power fc. I see on their website apexi recommends only a handful of distributors to perform the initial tuning. This sounds like a good thing however none of the ones listed are anywhere near my area.

l0ch0w
04-01-2012, 06:00 PM
most tuners worth their salt can tune pretty much anything... the principals are all the same...

allTRACway
04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
If you haven't picked up the apexi stand alone I suggest the AEM stand alone. Most tuners are good with it and believe its a great starting point. I also have the AEM manual on didgets if you would like to look over that.

4thgenceli
04-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Also I highly advise against going standalone at first. Do the swap, learn from it, enjoy it, then turn into Mafix.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

rizin
04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
The stock motor is capable of hitting 300hp. You will need to get away from the 2nd gen electronics to hit 300hp. What I was told when you choosing a after market ECU look at the options it offers and talk to the shops around you what they normally tune. Most shops can tune any aftermarket ECU but when they are use to one it will mean less time on the dino sometimes.

You will want to run the E153. It won't take you long to pop the S53 unless you baby it. That BC stroker kit is outrages. ATS will sell you a short block 2.2 for less then that. I think their 2.3 stroker is even cheaper then that. You can build your own stroker kit for a lot less then the BC kit. All you need is a crank from a 5s and get the rod journals turned down for 3s rods. Then buy some eagle rods that are good for 700 hp and 3s pistons made for the 91mm stroke of the 5s crank. The mains are the same between the 3s and 5s crank.

Acadian Racer
04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
All this information is sounding good, lots of info to keep me on the right track reading and researching for sure. The closest tuning shop to my area is at least a 3 hour drive from from here, so the stock ECU is sounding better until I get the bugs worked out. I guess my next big steps is to continue researching the different products that are out there to determine how well they all work together. Any input into this is always appreciated, I find comparison is always the best way to determine what I prefer. Then I have to learn how well it can be integrated with factory equipment to keep as much reliability as I can. Keep the thoughts coming it really gives me a lot of jumping off points to try and educate my self more and more.

Mafix
04-07-2012, 02:14 AM
the power fc is not worth it's weight. in my opinion, of course. kinda like getting a safc. same concept with a better interface.

ChrisD
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Power FC is waaaay different than an SAFC... It is a complete standalone and replaces the ECU. However, it may not be as configurable as some standalones. Not everyone needs that though. I've had my PFC for a number of years and have no complaints. As for tuning, any competent tuner should be able to use it...the fundamentals are no different than anything else.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Mafix
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
but it's still like a stone age design. (again for me this thing is a joke, but i've been using standalones for a long time now). might as well be tuning a damn hydra, same concept.

Smaay
04-10-2012, 10:25 PM
^^^ no its not! the Power FC is an excellent stand alone. it may not look as pretty as an AEM but it has good capabilities.

Mafix
04-11-2012, 06:53 PM
to each their own. i've tuned many an ecu. i HATE the apexi stuff. (and yes i do a an avc-r currently)

ChrisD
04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
I should preface my like for the PFC with that the datalogit is a must. I've never used the handheld controller.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Mafix
04-15-2012, 09:13 PM
and there is the difference! i've only used the hand controller. (not my cars obviously)

ChrisD
04-16-2012, 12:22 AM
ahhhh makes sense. Ya I wouldn't want to tune it with the controller, that'd be a pain!

To do it now I'd probably choose something else, but that is more because of where I am in my mindset these days. For cost and ease of installation, PFC+datalogit can make a lot of sense.

:)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2