PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber radiator diverter panel

temperacerguy
03-28-2012, 01:58 AM
OK, so I came up with what I thought was a stupid little idea...

I'm going to make a panel like this:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/enginebay.jpg

out of carbon fiber.

Now, to make one, it's just a cheap one-off mold that would probably get destroyed in producing the part. To make MULTIPLE, you have to make a more substantial mold, and if I am going to do that I might as well make a vacuum infusion mold and do it right.

it will be the exact same shape as factory, with the same form and holes (I will leave the holes un-cut if you'd like) They will be made with 2 layers of 2x2 twill carbon fiber with 2-3 layers of fiberglass cloth. They will be infused with epoxy resin (not cheap polyester resin)

So I posed the question if people are interested in a copy for $90 to AT.net. And it kind of took off, people started saying "I'm in!" and they started a list with 7 people on it in less than a day. and all that kind of thing.

Now, each one of these takes an hour to do, and a day to cure in the mold, and I don't want to get into the business of making these for a living, so I am capping the number I am willing to make at 15. I'm not going to be actually starting production till mid-may.

I won't be accepting payment till they are completed as I don't want to "owe" anyone.

So, if you're interested, there are 8 spots left... just post on here, and I'll add your name to the list.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-28-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm in.

Nitro_Alltrac

temperacerguy
03-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks... ok, only 6 places left.

pintoBC_3sgte
03-28-2012, 04:03 AM
5 left... add me :D

temperacerguy
03-28-2012, 04:06 AM
damn, with how quick these are going, I think I priced them too cheap. LOL added

pintoBC_3sgte
03-28-2012, 04:08 AM

temperacerguy
03-28-2012, 07:01 AM
OK, after cost analysis, and the ridiculous cost of infusion resin... looks like the per unit cost will have to be $90... sorry.

allTRACway
03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Im in for sure.

4thgenceli
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Whats the chance you could get one rigged up for a St16x chassis?

temperacerguy
03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Whats the chance you could get one rigged up for a St16x chassis?

After im done with this one. Get me 10 orders and a doner panel (which will be destroyed). And i will put it in line with all my other projects

celica9303
03-29-2012, 05:11 AM
in for one,unless circumstances change.

allTRACway
03-29-2012, 07:53 PM
You know when you could get this to kick off?

temperacerguy
03-30-2012, 12:25 AM
ahh, forgot to put that in here... (there was a huge discussion over at AT.net) I won't be able to start production on these till mid may. I am however already starting to work on the plug. The plug is the shape used to make the mold.

Making the plug and mold is a long, tedious process. As the better designed/made the plug, the better the mold.... The better the mold, the better the production parts. I am going to try and design this plug so that I can make the mold out of a solid block of casting resin. under a layer of tooling gel coat.

temperacerguy
03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
And AFTER I am done with this one, I am going to make a run of 10 "Privacy panels" in Carbon... Those will be a bit more expensive however.

pintoBC_3sgte
03-30-2012, 12:44 AM
What's a privacy panel?

temperacerguy
03-30-2012, 01:55 AM
it's the panel that goes over your trunk area to hide your stuff when you close the hatch.

pintoBC_3sgte
03-30-2012, 02:53 AM
lol damnit i knew that too... its been a long day :P

4thgenceli
03-30-2012, 03:39 AM
The st16* doesn't have the radiator shroud. It'd be a full custom one lol.

temperacerguy
03-30-2012, 04:07 AM
The st16* doesn't have the radiator shroud. It'd be a full custom one lol.

well, I don't have an ST165... so I would be shooting in the dark. I would need to have access to one to have one. Got any pictures of the area on your car? Let me see what's involved. Then I would need to have an ST165 for a day so that I can lay some felt and resin to get the shape. Shouldn't be too hard.

Oh, and here's that shelf... some also call it a "parcel shelf" but it's far too thin/weak to actually support any weight.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD3uzB2xq_WE-Eb4JHBZI2slvEfRkXTw7Qx7A-6vp_MeCqKg5G_61DfiusdA

Here's one in the "up" position

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPVMT3Am3TYVGgBPAVEfOIvuIijcUaV 1gl3aoCxwWicQ_rsE4Eloe5lHDe

jdm_celica_gts
03-30-2012, 08:21 PM
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251022481806&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=40218587373

Not exactly stock but that's the same idea haha

temperacerguy
03-31-2012, 02:42 AM
yes, someone pointed that out on all trac.net. Here was my reply.

"No, it's not going to be anything like that.... Are people really happy with that crappy design"?

I got yelled at by a moderator for being overly critical and "warned"

90GT2
03-31-2012, 03:26 AM
Ya I thought that was really lame the way the mod "warned" you. I thought it was just a little over the top.

temperacerguy
03-31-2012, 03:41 AM
LOL want to see what I was warned for the first time?

Here's what I posted about a possible, kinda-sorta, group buy that was alot of talk and no concrete FACTS....

temperacerguy wrote:
Ok other than just reading things on the board. Has the person who set this up actually called the manufacturer?

I keep seeing group buys on this board that are pretty vague and lots of hearsay and/or little research being done on pricing and/or availability.

When i am setting up a group buy. The first thing i do is call the manufacturer and ask them:

1. Can you still supply this part?
2. How much for one unit?
3. How much for multiple units? (2,5,10,20)
4. How will payment be handled? Would you like one payment, or individuals pay on own? (sometime this affects the price)
5. What is the timeframe for us to arrange this, whats the production/distribution schedule (after payment when will people get their parts?)

I feel that if there are absolutes and things are written in concrete people are more likely to join and there are alot less flakes. 9 times out of 10, when someone puts an "if" atached to his name when joining a vague group buy, he's not going to buy.

Just some advice from someone whos put together many many many successfull group buys, as well as some failed

And the PM I got as a "warning" LOL

First, since I created the GB, it's no accident you are addressing this to me, so you should have just PMed me if you had any issues with this GB.

Second of all, this is the official thread IF the GB actually gets set up...that was clearly stated.

Third, contact with the manufacter has been attempted, and I'll retry when I get the time at the end of this week. I apologize if you can't be patient enough to wait. You are more than welcome to contact the seller yourself.

Fourth...I don't think anyone on here has complained but you, only inquired about what the GB will be. We are all (including the original person setting this up - me) curious what the pricing will be. If you wanted to make any suggestions, then refer to #1 at the beginning of this post on a better way to go about this.

It doesn't hurt to start a GB interest thread to get the ball rolling. No post was ever made regarding contacting the seller for a GB price contingent only on whether we have X amount of committed buyers, as to not waste anyone's time, but simply wanted to know if anyone was going to buy them or had any interest before I introduce the idea of a GB price to the seller. Sometimes, sellers are more willing to make a GB price when they see some committment up front..

This isn't exactly the largest community to quickly round up 10-20 buyers, regarding an alltrac specific part. I commend you on your successes on previous GB (notably the VIS Hood GB), but if you did read the other threads, very recently people aren't having the best luck getting on contact with the seller. I have not tried calling yet, but will do so soon.

I apologize for not letting everyone know I've attempted to contact the seller, however. I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear back.

I know you may just be trying to help, but you aren't being very tactful at it either. I don't mean to sound rude, and I'm not trying to be, no hard feelings, but I just found your "suggestions" a bit pretentious, but I could clearly be taking it the wrong way...it's late, I've got a shelf exam this Friday for school, and I'm sick.

If you have any more issues or would like to just smooth things over, just PM me back. I really do mean no hard feelings with this, it just could have been better handled through a PM.

I felt there was nothing to "smooth over" And I didn't direct anything to the guy setting it up... also there obviously was "hard feelings" as he's now criticizing the way I say things. LOL

90GT2
03-31-2012, 04:01 AM
Ya I remember reading that post about the cf drive shaft GB and thinking I agreed with you. I guess he was just a little stressed. I suppose he could have pm'ed you about the last incident but then again maybe not.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-31-2012, 02:10 PM
That's one of the big reasons I don't over there much any more. There's a lot of good information there but most of the knowledgable people have moved on and the a lot of the ones running the show now have very thin skin and some big time ego problems.

celicasilfee
03-31-2012, 05:50 PM
If you have a spot still available, I'm definitely in for one!

l0ch0w
04-03-2012, 05:27 AM
I cant remember if I got in on this over on At.net... either way, im kinda interested :)

jdm_celica_gts
04-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Interested, depending on date they will be made, so I can start saving funds for my build

Shadowlife25
04-14-2012, 12:28 AM
I will take one for sure 100% positively.

Thank you for your time and effort.

allTRACway
08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Progress?

underscore
08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
^ doubtful.