PDA

View Full Version : Help removing color from mufflers

temperacerguy
03-17-2012, 09:39 PM
OK. so about 12-13 years ago, Apex-i tried to capitalize on the Fast and Furious Craze, and offered colored universal N1 mufflers. They sold retail for about $250 each....

Well that fad faded fast, and UPRD (anyone remember them?) got stuck with a shload of these. It just so happened that I was at their warehouse 12 or so years ago when the owner started a fire-sale and was selling off TONS of products for pennies on the dollar... (they filed for bankruptcy like the next day and changed names)

I picked up a pair of their universal mufflers for like $60 each with silencers figuring I could strip them and use them as part of some project (dual outlet side by side)

So here I am... I'm going to be using these as my final mufflers, but I need to get rid of this ugly ass Green. I am not sure if this is some high temp transparent paint (I don't think so), or some sort of anodizing.

The substrate is polished stainless steel. Does anyone know a way of stripping this off? suggestions? I'm lazy and I don't want to try and sand/polish this off. Then again I don't want to dunk this whole thing in anything as I don't want to soak the silencing media

Here's what I am dealing with:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/729baa4f.jpg

mrdb
03-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Maybe wet and dry then re polish?

Sent from my mind using tapatalk.

METDeath
03-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Scratch one where you won't see it installed on the car, if you get regular metal, should just some sort of high temp paint... but I don't think it is. I think it's been chemically treated.

grimmythereaper
03-18-2012, 01:02 AM
i think those are treated but if it is u should be able to sand and paint what ever color u want even if is

CollapsedNut
03-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Use it as is

temperacerguy
03-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Use it as is

I'd only use it as is if I wore pastel tank tops and short shorts....

As I don't.... I'm removing the color.

I agree with everyone that this is some sort of chemical treatment. In fact, I just did a bit of research and it's called "colourtex" by Rimex metals. It's definately some sort of chemical treatment, perhaps some sort of light plating.

I was able to sand the finish off a spot pretty easily using a 240 grit paper.... but of course this left a sanded "brushed" finish, and I'd like to keep it polished...

So I have now tried using a chemical stripper that's designed for paints and varnishes.... It's been soaking for 20 minutes, but I am not enthusiastic as there seemed to be zero reaction...

after I wash this off, I am going to try steel wool... This is going to leave a light finish that I can then polish off.

temperacerguy
03-18-2012, 04:08 PM
The paint stripper succeeded

In making me totally stoned... the color is still there.

The steel wool was worthless...

I switched to 180grit paper, and got it off the body of one of the mufflers in like 10 min... The tip I am going to use like a 400 grit wet so that I don't ruin the "Apex-i" stamping...

Now here's something interesting... the body of the muffler: Stainless. The tip of the muffler: Stainless The Muffler core: Stainless. The 8"s of pipe sticking out the back of the muffler... MILD STEEL...

So looks like when I install this, I will have to cut off the entire length of that pipe and weld stainless from that point.

This exhaust is going to be VERY fun in fabricating... I am going to make it overly complex... Why? Because I can, and it will flow optimally.

Hipster Lawrence
03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Just sand it with 600 and re polish them. All you need is a buffing wheel for your grinder. Easy peasy. I'd probably paint the mufflers black and just polish the tips.

temperacerguy
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I totally dig the "stealth" look of black painted... However I have found it alot easier to keep polished metal clean. Also, I am going to "Siamese" the mufflers so I kinda want them to have a bit of "hidden bling"

l0ch0w
03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Sounds stupid, but you might have tried either oven cleaner or purple degreaser. I know that the purple degreaser can be used to remove anodizing from aluminum and other materials.

temperacerguy
03-18-2012, 06:00 PM
I tried the oven cleaner... Didn't phase it... I still have one to do, so I'll try that purple stuff.

allTRACway
03-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I kinda think it looks kewl. The ends a little long but eh. You know where to pick one of the up at?

temperacerguy
03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
The tip is about 5"s long.. it's a 3" round tip. Pretty standard...

I don't think they make them anymore... they were a failed product.

Wait.... checked their website... they still have blue and black. Turbo model is $370 each, NA model is $340 each.