PDA

View Full Version : Want to make corner lights into turn signal lights

gonzo1
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
So I have a 93 GT and I got an aftermarket bumper. First of all, bumper doesnt have spots for fog lights nor turn signal lights but allows me to keep corner lights. In my aftermarket headlights, there is a extra bulb so I rewired it with wires from corner lights. Now I want to rewire the corner lights into turn signal lights, problem is, the turn signal has 3 wire and the corner light connection has 2 wires :( Does anyone here know how I would go onto rewriting this or have a suggestion. Very much appreciated, thanks

METDeath
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Why would you install a bumper that removes turn lights?

Those are only kind of important.

However, to "fix" your issue, you'd have to either:

a) run a new wire, solder a new connector, and find a different bulb.

OR

b) reroute the existing turn signal wiring, solder a new connector and find a different bulb

Then hope your new bulb doesn't melt the housing.

Oh, and probably bribe cops to not give you tickets.

temperacerguy
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
So I have a 93 GT and I got an aftermarket bumper. First of all, bumper doesnt have spots for fog lights nor turn signal lights but allows me to keep corner lights. In my aftermarket headlights, there is a extra bulb so I rewired it with wires from corner lights. Now I want to rewire the corner lights into turn signal lights, problem is, the turn signal has 3 wire and the corner light connection has 2 wires :( Does anyone here know how I would go onto rewriting this or have a suggestion. Very much appreciated, thanks

Or, a little more helpful....

Make sure that your clearance lights (the ones that are next to your headlight) have either amber housings, or they are clear with amber bulbs and that they work (you don't want to find out you have a blown bulb when you are checking things at the end)....

Next... from your corner light harness (the one no longer connected) Clip the Green wire with a black stripe (on the left side) and Green wire with yellow stripe (on the right side. clip these at the connector, and route green-(black/yellow) the wires from the harness up to your clearance lights. Tuck the other wires (white-black and green) away and secured.

Now, about 6"s from the connector, clip the green wire. Connect the green wire (going to the connector) to the Green-(yellow or black depending upon side) with solder and shrink wrap, or waterproof crimp butt connectors.

This will make your clearance lights blink with your turns/hazards. They will be dark until you use your hazards/turn signals, then they will flash. You cannot make the clearance lights work as the corner lights (with low/bright) as there are no dual filament bulbs that will fit in that housing

kado1000
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
you could hook it up to the signal light

187flatliner
03-16-2012, 01:19 AM
i did this with my 87...they way temperacerguy is explaining it is exactly how i did it.

Galcobar
03-16-2012, 02:29 AM
One issue that nobody's raised is visibility -- those little 194 bulbs put out nowhere near the illumination of an 1157.

temperacerguy
03-16-2012, 06:34 AM
One issue that nobody's raised is visibility -- those little 194 bulbs put out nowhere near the illumination of an 1157.

True... it's a bad idea.... but a little something is better than nothing. Also I don't think he's much concerned about functionality... look at the bumper.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-17-2012, 08:23 PM
If there are LED bulbs in that size, they might be brighter.

Azzazzyn
03-17-2012, 08:48 PM
915's should fit in the corner as well, or was it 902, I dont remember

gonzo1
04-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Temperacerguy, thanks, I did it ur way, it worked. Thanks to everyone else for opinions.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Did you go LED?