PDA

View Full Version : Swapped out the WTA intercooler pump

Nitro_Alltrac
03-12-2012, 02:29 AM
I went ahead and swapped out my intercooler water pump today. I had used the same bilge pump that Frozen Boost sells with there WTA kits. It worked fine but over the last few months it had started to get REALLY loud. You could hear it over the engine and outside the car, it sounded like shit.

I found that Summit Racing had a really good price (>$90) on the Bosch intercooler pump that Ford uses on the Cobra and the Lightning. I also picked up the wiring harness/connector that Frozen Boost offers. That makes it a lot easier putting the new pump on as it is set up to use this connector and doesn't have a pig tail like the bilge pump.

The only problem I ran into was that the Bosch pump draws more current that the bilge pump. The bilge pump specified using a 3 amp fuse. After banging my head on a wall for a little bit, I checked and the Bosch kit pulls between 1.8 and 3.5 amps. I popped in a 5 amp fuse and everything is good.

The best thing about this pump is that it is QUIET. At least compared to the bilge pump. With the engine off, you can hear a low hum but with the engine on, you'll never hear the pump.

The bilge pump I was using supposedly flowed 500 gallons per hour. The Bosch pump flows 380. From what I've read, this should be plenty.

Now I just have to get time to get the car out and DRIVE it.

The Captain
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Sounds like work. I spent all day installing the 20b in the vert. What a PITA. Good luck with the new pump.

METDeath
03-12-2012, 03:19 AM
So does the 20B use the same hardlines as the 26?

Nitro_Alltrac
03-13-2012, 11:16 PM
It wasn't too hard going in. I did have to drill a couple of new holes as the mounting bracket was different but overall, once I figured out the fuse, it wasn't a bad job. Hoping to have time to go and try it out tonight.