PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of big break kits

thatonedude
03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
whats the pros and cons of big break kits compared to normall drilled and slotted rotors and high permance pads

Galcobar
03-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Bigger brakes -- seriously, what is with everyone posting these threads recently getting that wrong? -- offer more mass in which to disperse heat (brakes transform movement into heat) and greater surface area to allow for higher levels of force to be applied before the brakes lock up.

Drilled and slotted rotors are meant to deal with material issues which don't really exist anymore. These days, they're largely cosmetic additions which are comical for those people who know how brakes really work (check the rotors on an F1 car to understand why). Read: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?1646-TECH-The-inevitable-quot-Cross-Drilled-Rotors-quot-Thread

90GT2
03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Actually slotted rotors can serve an important purpose that is not just cosmetic.

edit: I just read the above link and it is a good read

METDeath
03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Cons of most BBK for our cars? They defeat the parking brake since our rear parking brake is shoe based inside the rotor. I only know of one BBK to keep the parking brake, and it's custom.

cms-gt4
03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Some consider using the st205 rears as a bbk. It would allow you to keep the rear parking brake.

The Captain
03-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Cons of most BBK for our cars? They defeat the parking brake since our rear parking brake is shoe based inside the rotor. I only know of one BBK to keep the parking brake, and it's custom.
Orly?

donteatbugs
03-10-2012, 07:40 PM
You really could get by on the alltrac with just bigger front brakes. I did this and it made a huge difference in the stopping power.