PDA

View Full Version : New Windshield

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Eric and I are both looking for new windshields. I don't want to go with someone using cheap glass. Anyone know someone close to OEM, that carries something as good of quality as PPG?

The dealership only wants $1100 for a factory window!

Eric Barrera
03-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Are you for reals? Holy fuck.

METDeath
03-01-2012, 04:57 AM
And what does lithia or 1sttoyota want for one? I'm sure it's still high, but yeah... price is only going to go up on these as they aren't a collectors or a broad market sports car. Which I blame the lack of the a 3S-GE in the 5th gens for. I think if they would have kept the 3S-GE in the GTS trims we wouldn't issues with finding sports parts for our cars.

Galcobar
03-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Junkyard?

Lonestag
03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah, If you can find I good used one, some glass places would be willing to do the install. I have had some luck going that route at least. (though less for myself then my customers).

amx
03-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Try Pilkington, it's an OEM for Lexus, according to a friend who works at Safelite. I believe Pilkington is what they install on most of the newer cars that get referred in by dealers.

My sister has a Pilkington windshield on her GT-S, and the quality appears pretty good; no waviness at all that I can see. In comparison, the el cheapo SGC glass on my ST is pretty badly distorted in the corners.

Safelite may also install used glass if you can find it; at least they offered me the option when I had to replace the back glass in the All-Trac.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-05-2012, 12:10 AM
So Safelite gets their windows from Pilkington? If that's true, I'll be going there!

amx
03-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Yep... but make sure you specifically request it though. I think they usually default to the cheaper glass on older cars like ours.

kado1000
03-15-2012, 03:08 PM
try the salvage yard.

The Captain
03-17-2012, 12:03 PM
I paid $180 installed for the one in the vert. I can even see through it!

vip09
03-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Yep, I had the hatch glass replaced by Safelite in my 7th gen and it was right around $150 I think. They even came out to my house and did it while I was working on my MR2. Looks just like OEM.

thatonedude
04-02-2012, 03:56 AM
for my hatch dealership wants 1500 for and glass companys cant get them so its dealership or salvage yard
Eric and I are both looking for new windshields. I don't want to go with someone using cheap glass. Anyone know someone close to OEM, that carries something as good of quality as PPG?

The dealership only wants $1100 for a factory window!

lalojamesliz
04-11-2012, 06:13 AM
I've been wanting to replace my windshield as well. Its ok right now but all of the small rock chips look like glitter when I'm driving towards the sun :(
I knew the dealerships were expensive but damn!

prophet513
04-28-2012, 07:31 PM
As of 1 week ago I'm also in for a new windshield here soon. It never crossed my mind that some glass was shittier than others.

Found a place that comes to you and installs for $220 but I dunno if it's up to everyone's standards. I don't really want bullshit..

There are TONS of Celicas in local junkyards. But I wouldn't know where to begin when it came to getting/replacing one.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Look for PPG on the window.

85gtsblackman
04-30-2012, 02:44 AM
I've been wanting to replace my windshield as well. Its ok right now but all of the small rock chips look like glitter when I'm driving towards the sun :(

yeah my gts is like that :(

my new beater is getting the best thing i can find for 150 installed :hehe:

prophet513
05-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Okay if I can figure out how to get a windshield out (without breaking it) then the junkyard literally a few blocks from my house has what I need for $27.99.

Anybody have any tips?

Galcobar
05-01-2012, 04:57 AM
I'd read over the BGB section on the windshield, BO-33

93celicaconv
05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
My '91 ST and '93 vert got new windshields. Both were PPG, both were in the $180 installed cost. Came from an automotive glass replacement shop. It might have been 3-4 years ago since the last one was replaced. But there wasn't anything concerning at that time about cost or anything.

lamont
05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Okay if I can figure out how to get a windshield out (without breaking it) then the junkyard literally a few blocks from my house has what I need for $27.99.

Anybody have any tips?

The windshield is bonded to the chassis, so removing it without breaking it is almost impossible without specialty tools. Just taking the molding from around the window will likely crack it. If you have someone with the right tools go for it, but I will bet the junkyard wants the $28 up front and if you crack the window getting it out there is no refund. They know how hard it is to remove a window so they won't touch it, but will gladly make a quick buck off someone who doesn't know what they’re in for.

Murgatroy
05-01-2012, 06:33 PM
The windshield is bonded to the chassis, so removing it without breaking it is almost impossible without specialty tools. Just taking the molding from around the window will likely crack it. If you have someone with the right tools go for it, but I will bet the junkyard wants the $28 up front and if you crack the window getting it out there is no refund. They know how hard it is to remove a window so they won't touch it, but will gladly make a quick buck off someone who doesn't know what they’re in for.

And that is the the main reason I told you that installing glass and window tint are the two things I leave to the professionals.

I don't have the patience for window tint.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't have the patience for window tint.

We used dirt when I was a kid. Just skip washing the car for a couple weeks, instant window tint.

celica9303
05-02-2012, 03:38 AM
I still has factory original glass in my convertiable :-)

prophet513
05-02-2012, 04:04 AM
I still has factory original glass in my convertiable :-)

me too... it's just scratched and cracked ;)

SubrinaIsMyCar
05-05-2012, 07:56 PM
hahhaha wowwwww

ChrisD
05-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I had the right tools and still ended up cracking the windshield on my parts car when we were dismantling it. Even being extremely careful, one little catch is all it takes to crack it.

BTW what you need is basically a cutting wire with two handles, one on each side. It slices through the window weld goop. Sounds easy, but doesn't take much for it to get stuck just for a second and then it will crack.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I always fail at the window removing. Heat gun may help.