PDA

View Full Version : Where can I work on my car for a day? Need a garage in OC or some advice.

Doowstados
02-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Not at home right now, in Fullerton, CA for school.

My struts are totally gone right now. I can't drive on them at all the way they are. I'm not comfortable with taking the car more than 20 mins away from my apartment.

What should I do in this situation? I need somewhere to work on it, can finish everything in 6-8 hours but need a place to my my air compressor and tools.

Should I just see about renting a storage unit or something?

Seriously stressing right now.

Eric Barrera
02-28-2012, 06:56 AM
You have no family or friends there?

Is the suspension that bad? If you take it slow Im pretty sure you'll make it. If you were closer to me I would offer to help you out but i'm like an hour away.

If it comes down too it, a storage unit for a day. You can probably work out a deal with the owner.

Doowstados
02-28-2012, 07:04 AM
It's pretty bad. Doing less than 5 miles an hour the car will bottom out by just hitting a small dip. I think one of the cartridges popped or something.

amx
02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Most storage places that I'm aware of won't let you do automotive work on their property. Have you tried craigslist? Check the housing sublet/storage sections, or post up an ad offering $50 or so for the use of someone's garage or driveway... as long as you're clear about what you need to do, I'd be surprised if you didn't get a response. That's actually how I was able to find my current workspace.

Otherwise, try checking around for a self serve garage. There's one up here (WA state) that lets you rent a full garage bay on an hourly or daily basis, maybe there's something similar in your area.

Doowstados
02-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Looks like I'm just going to have to drop the cash to get it fixed in a shop. Craigslist hasn't got anything I can use. Well, there goes $$$$ I didn't need to spend. Bummer.

Luni
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
I cant believe you cant find anywhere to work on your car.

Id let you do it here if you were closer man. You wouldnt need ANY of your tools. Hope it works out for you.

Doowstados
02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words papa bear.

Maybe I'll just do it in the autozone parking lot, should only take 2-3 hours max I guess for just the front two.

Think this is risky? I can buy a harbor freight battery impact and return it when I'm done I spose.

Eric Barrera
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Shock and sturt swap is pretty straight forward. You have two bolts on bottom and the 3 bolts on top.

IF you have an impact you could get it done in about an hour, I think you don't even have to loosen the caliper or anything. JUst the hub.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
I have worked in so many parking lots, it's not funny. Craigslist should find you a garage. Post up that you need a garage for a day in your area, and give it a couple days. I have to head down toward Fullerton next week for some political things, maybe I can drop by and help you knock this out. You'd have to promise to come to the Big Bear Meet in advance.

Biggest pain is disconnecting brake lines and purging them of air when you're done. That takes 2 people or a pump.

Doowstados
02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
I have worked in so many parking lots, it's not funny. Craigslist should find you a garage. Post up that you need a garage for a day in your area, and give it a couple days. I have to head down toward Fullerton next week for some political things, maybe I can drop by and help you knock this out. You'd have to promise to come to the Big Bear Meet in advance.

Biggest pain is disconnecting brake lines and purging them of air when you're done. That takes 2 people or a pump.

I just went ahead and made an appointment with a local family owned shop who quoted me $360 for the front two. They're apparently really popular around here, I asked around and it seems they do good work. I'll trust em and do the rears later myself so they match.

Firestone wanted to charge me $550 not including the alignment, if that puts the cost into perspective. Both use KYB struts.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-28-2012, 08:40 PM
So much money...

Doowstados
02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
So much money...

True that, but I need it done by Saturday and I would have missed a few classes trying to take the train home, get tools, get ride back to Fullerton, etc.

T-spoon
02-29-2012, 04:29 PM
I did the front struts on a 165 in someone's driveway with hand tools. In the rain. It was uphill, too. :hehe:

4thgenceli
02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
LMAO.

Yeah suspension replacement really isn't that hard. 3 nuts on the top, two bolts/nuts on the hub and they're out. For all find an abandoned parking lot and do it there. If a cop rolls up say you ran something over a few miles back and it is a safety hazard to keep driving.

Doowstados
02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah, had I been home and had the tools it would have been an hour job. Oh well. I'll do the rear myself sometime soon so they match.