PDA

View Full Version : Discuss future of my MR2

Luni
02-20-2012, 09:00 PM
So, my MR2 has been sitting. Something is wrong with the transmission. Thats not my problem though. I have another one lined up, so no worries there.

My problem is, my Gen2 engine leaks oil, and the wiring harness sucks, and I pretty much need to pull the engine out to change the trans, fix the leaks, etc.

My problem is, Im pretty much sick of working on it. I want to do the work to get it going, but I just want to drive the damn thing and enjoy it. I dont want a constant project, I just want it to work.

So, as I sit right now, I have a bunch of stuff for a Gen2. Ive been thinking about pulling the engine, replacing the engine harness with a clean 91/92 USDM harness, resealing the engine, putting adjustable cam gears on (I have some reground 256 cams in there), putting on a port matched head with TVIS delete spacer (I have Gen3 EFI conversion), and possibly a Gen3 lower oil pan assembly, Power Enterprise timing belt (I have that), and maybe a different intake manifold and throttle body. Possibly a turbo kit (considering a GT28RS or GT2871). Not really looking for anything crazy, just want a good reliable turnkey ~300-325 whp (I have a TKO exhaust, and a Berk intercooler and a water injection kit already). Or Ive even considered buying a Gen3 head with manifolds, and throttle body, using my 256 cams, or even just getting those GSCs, and mating it to my Gen2 block (which is said is stronger anyway).

Or I have been toying with the idea of just buying a Gen3 longblock, slapping some GSC high lift 268 cams in there, putting my turbo kit on, and calling it. Ive also been considering buying a Gen3 clip, and selling off all the parts I dont need (turbo, transmission, EFI system, taillights, etc), and using the stuff I do need (body harness, engine harness, etc)

Im getting all sorts of conflicting opinions. I pretty much already know whats going to be said, but I still want to read it, in case someone has had a similar predicament theyve dealt with, and have some good insight.

What would you guys do?

vip09
02-20-2012, 09:36 PM
My friend Tim is doing option #1 right now. We are putting a gen3 head with cams on his gen2 block (that we are putting forged pistons in). He wants a reliable 350whp. However, he has my old AEM EMS on his car and he already had a TD06 kit on his car. He's been daily driving it with the AEM that I tuned for him and he said it runs almost like a stock car.

4thgenceli
02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Sell it and buy the space wedge for sale down the street from me.

cms-gt4
02-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Sell it and buy my st350 this spring. This is likely my last year for 2-seaters.

Hookecho
02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Aside from your motor needing to be resealed, what's really the difference between it and getting a gen3 that you will have to reseal anyway? Is the wire harness really that bad off that you can't repair it? You have everything you need to build what you want already. The motor you have now has as much turn key potential as any gen 3sgte. I say you should work with what you have. It's going be less hassle. Why worry with tearing down a clip and trying to sell parts. Idk, it really seems like six of one and half dozen of the other. There's no real wrong decision to be made. Fix the current motor and upgrade the turbo or buy a gen3 and upgrade the turbo.

alltracNyx
02-20-2012, 10:16 PM
I'd work with the gen 2 that you already have parts for. I'd rather reseal a motor myself than buy a front clip and not know what I'm getting.

Luni
02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Thats actually the way Im leaning right now.

Im looking into picking up a RacerX modified stock manifold, and some other goodies. I would like to be a happy, daily driveable 300-325 (Ill take more if I can even) whp, on a stock ecu or a romtune. I really dont want to go with a standalone if I dont have to, but will explore that option if I need to also.

METDeath
02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
I'd work with the gen 2 that you already have parts for. I'd rather reseal a motor myself than buy a front clip and not know what I'm getting.

Why would you buy a front clip for an MR2?

vip09
02-20-2012, 10:50 PM
I had Jeff make an intake manifold for me. I also bought a few of his other parts and had him modify my heat exchanger. You will be happy with his work!

I do not recommend anything that involves ATS's machine shop.

grimmythereaper
02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
pull it seal it and get the new harness fix the tranny problem and be done with it so u can enjoy the car

alltracNyx
02-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Why would you buy a front clip for an MR2?

Jerk. You know what I meant. Since I don't own an MR2, it's habitual for me to say front clip :P

bloodMoney
02-20-2012, 11:52 PM
AHAHAHAHA

CollapsedNut
02-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I say pull it, seal it, replace the harness, replace the tranny, put it back in and drive in one weekend. Sell off the parts you have for extra booze money at the dragon.

CriScO
02-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Fuck it, thing's a money pit. Donate it to me and let it sit in my garage.

Eric Barrera
02-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Repair said gen 2 and drive it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-21-2012, 01:01 AM
STEP 1: Reach between legs, and check for testicles.

STEP 2: Reseal Gen 2 motor.

STEP 3: Get Murg to make you a sammich.

4thgenceli
02-21-2012, 01:02 AM
He failed at step one

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-21-2012, 01:26 AM
STEP 2a: Also, if testicles found in STEP 1 are not yours, make Murg a sammich.

The Captain
02-21-2012, 01:52 AM
1. Take a Midol
2. Get to work on the Gen2.

What is this like, a long weekends work for you?

(love you Lunikins)

Luni
02-21-2012, 01:55 AM
Jerks.

ChrisD
02-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Ya, since you've already got the gen3 EFI conversion, there isn't really much to be gained aside from a newer harness (which you'd have to convert anyway). I'd reseal the gen 2, maybe re-do some of the harness, and you'd have a great engine good for quite some time at that power level. The big thing I heard there is that you don't want to turn this into a project car. In that case I would definitely not bring a new engine into the equation.

With a decent turbo, good manifold, you'd be in really good shape.

I've been considering having racerx finish up my manifold project. I need someone who is good with a tig anyway, and he'd be able to do it without me needing to fill him in on all the basic stuff and why I need what added.

Azzazzyn
02-21-2012, 02:01 AM
kill it with fire

UtahSleeper
02-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Just fix the gen 2. I really dont know shit, but if you have the parts you need and you have to pull the motor anyway, why not just fix the needed things and move on? I can help with manual labor if needed.

joe's gt
02-21-2012, 05:08 AM
I do not recommend anything that involves ATS's machine shop.

Amen!

vip09
02-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Amen!

My head is totally jacked up. So pissed. In addition to the damage I first noticed when they sent the head back to me, my machine shop down here found a couple more problems. I am using the "ATS Racing MLS Headgasket for later style 5S blocks " along with my "ATS Racing 700hp capable* Gen 2 Cylinder Head" and the gasket actually overlaps into the combustion chamber where they opened up the combustion chamber around the valves. Unless I can get a custom head gasket made (nearly $500), the machine shop can weld up the areas they machine and fix it. UGH!

Sorry to hijack your thread Luni :)

joe's gt
02-22-2012, 06:19 AM
My head is totally jacked up. So pissed. In addition to the damage I first noticed when they sent the head back to me, my machine shop down here found a couple more problems. I am using the "ATS Racing MLS Headgasket for later style 5S blocks " along with my "ATS Racing 700hp capable* Gen 2 Cylinder Head" and the gasket actually overlaps into the combustion chamber where they opened up the combustion chamber around the valves. Unless I can get a custom head gasket made (nearly $500), the machine shop can weld up the areas they machine and fix it. UGH!

Sorry to hijack your thread Luni :)

Here (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?38009-ATS-Purchase-issue-RESOLVED&highlight=) is the link to my experience. I urge you to post up your experience as well to help get the reputation out so other people stop being subject to their horrible business practices. I personally have lost all respect for them and refuse to purchase any of their products.

Sorry for the hijack as well.

But back on topic...pull her, plug her, ride her.

Luni
02-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Not to play devils advocate here but Joe they made it right for you. Ryan did get hosed though. And you guys thread jacked me!