PDA

View Full Version : cam pistons

thatonedude
02-20-2012, 05:44 AM
on the 5sfe turbo build what camshaft can you get already machined for performance and what piston should i useto stregthen the bottomend and finally before i start my build how reliable are the turbo 5sfe builds that ive read a few members have done

Smaay
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
holy crap dude, have you ever heard of punctuation marks?

www.atsracing.net go there

thatonedude
03-02-2012, 12:17 AM
thanks bro ive been looking for something like that for awhile now

l0ch0w
03-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Missouri? where at in MO?

Also, have you thought about just switching to a GE head? its better and its not hard to find parts for...

Its not really worth it to build out the 5sfe its seriously alot cheaper to do a half-trac swap... The spendy part is the custom manifold work you have to do to strap a turbo onto a 5sfe head. If you just got a ge/gte head, or even a full 3sgte top end, it bolts directly to the 5s block. At that point the there are alot more aftermarket parts available to you :)

thatonedude
03-11-2012, 05:50 AM
would the ge head need any fabricating or drilling

thatonedude
03-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Independence btw

l0ch0w
03-13-2012, 06:45 AM
would the ge head need any fabricating or drilling

No, it would not need any drilling or fabricating of the block... It pretty much just drops on. ATS racing even has a specially modified head gasket for use between the 5s block and the 3s head.

You pretty much just slap on a gen 2 3sgte top end, and thats about it! Your EMS system will need some work, as the 5s ECU is not set up to handle boost. Either switch to a gen 2/3 3sgte EMS or go standalone...

Feel free to text me at: (913) 240- six six one three. I have worked on and around these engines exclusively for the last several years. I would be more than happy to help point you in the right direction for your build.

thatonedude
03-14-2012, 05:45 AM
dude thank you thank you thank you
number saved its to late tonight but ill txt tomorro

KoreanJoey
03-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Hey,

As a favor for those of us spending our own time to help you, invest a little bit of time to make what you write a little easier to read. Punctuation, capitalization, and general sentence structure will really help us to read your questions and get answers back to you.

I'm not a grammar nazi but if it appears to me like you've not invested any time into writing your post, I'm going to also assume that you didn't invest any time into doing any research yourself.

thatonedude
03-14-2012, 08:03 PM
@koreanjoey I have two to three notebook full of notes reserch and parts on the 5sfe engine and the 3sgte..so i have been doing reserch...but smaay giving me the link to atsracing was the something ive been looking for for awhile now, and l0ch0w saying the heads can be swapped out is something i just learned. Up till a few days ago i thought it would have to be a engine swap, i knew there were similarities between the two engines just didnt know how close. When i had my 88 accord i took the b20 head and put it on a a20 bottom(had to drill two hole). So because of everyone on this site my research has greatly increased my knowledge and that i am thankfull for, sometimes you have to ask questions, and i will take into consideration what you said about grammer bro. so thank you and everyone else for helping me

KoreanJoey
03-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Glad you're doing your research. Note the word "assume". Glad you're starting to use some punctuation.

For a read on the 5SFTE check out:
http://warp.scl.utah.edu/mr2/Turbo5sfe.html

thatonedude
03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
thank you bro few new things in that article

KoreanJoey
03-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Headwork is more of an art than a science but the heads are really where you can make power. I'd think about that as a whole rather than just buying cams.

thatonedude
03-16-2012, 08:20 PM
ill keep that in mind bro

Smaay
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Missouri? where at in MO?

Also, have you thought about just switching to a GE head? its better and its not hard to find parts for...

Its not really worth it to build out the 5sfe its seriously alot cheaper to do a half-trac swap... The spendy part is the custom manifold work you have to do to strap a turbo onto a 5sfe head. If you just got a ge/gte head, or even a full 3sgte top end, it bolts directly to the 5s block. At that point the there are alot more aftermarket parts available to you :)

what custom manifold? the 3S-GTE manifold bolts right onto the 5S head. you can use almost the entire 3S-GTE setup. the oil pan for the return, the same oil lines just fab up some way to get the feed to work.

if you want a custom setup then yes you need a manifold fabbed up, or find someone that makes one...hhhmm i wonder who? http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77293

l0ch0w
03-26-2012, 06:56 AM
what custom manifold? the 3S-GTE manifold bolts right onto the 5S head. you can use almost the entire 3S-GTE setup. the oil pan for the return, the same oil lines just fab up some way to get the feed to work.

if you want a custom setup then yes you need a manifold fabbed up, or find someone that makes one...hhhmm i wonder who? http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77293

Interesting... I would have assumed that because the heads were so different, that the exhaust manifold would have also been different...

Anyways, you still cant upgrade cams in em, and the head flow isnt exactly optimal for turbocharged application. For the price of a 3sgte swap, its just silly imho to do a 5sfte...

Smaay
03-26-2012, 05:32 PM
webcams makes a performance cam for the 5S-FE. so does Colt i believe. changing to a 3S-GTE head require some wiring and an ECU. its not a plug and play.

here is a pic of my setup when i ran the 3S-GTE on my stock 5S-FE. It made 185HP and 200lbs of torque
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/dsc04223.jpg

thatonedude
03-30-2012, 01:57 AM
ive decided on my build 5sfe block 3sgte head i got the block already that im putting new rods and pistons in but cant find my head anywhere lol