PDA

View Full Version : It's on it's way!!!! (kinda)

temperacerguy
02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
OK, so I've been on this forum for a while now, and I hear maybe once a month "Do you own an alltrac?" as when talking about what I drive, I talk about my Evo. While I have been an all trac owner for 12 years, I have driven my all trac all of 80 yards.

I purchased the vehicle for an amazingly low price from a guy up north who really didn't know what he had. The vehicle was 100% unmodified, 1 owner, perfect body, perfect interior, yet had a blown headgasket. He couldn't afford to have the headgasket replaced, so he just decided to put it on E-bay. The only comps for the vehicle he could find was STs. GTs and the like, so he started his opening bid at $500. figuring it would sell for a bit above that as the quote he had gotten for the head gasket from Toyota (the only shop around him that would touch it)was for thousands and thousands of dollars

The auction was for something like 14 days. And 12 years ago, there was ALOT of buzz on the forums about the car... MR2 digest, Toyota mods and the like... it seemed there was going to be a sniping war at the last day.

4 days to the end of the auction, I called the guy. I said "look, I have a shop, and have an engine to put in that car, but I am leaving the country tomorrow, and can't wait till the end of the auction. I'm just going to offer you $1000 for the car for you to end the E-bay auction, and I will have a transport come pick it up."

He bit. I sent him the money, had the car shipped. I drove it off the transport, pulled the engine at the shop, started to change the lighting on it, then towed and parked it in my storage facility (my mother's back yard)

I figured when I was done with my other projects I would get to the car... Well, "life happened" got divorced, closed the shop, changed careers, moved around the country and ended up in Florida "short-term" that turned into "long term" and for the past couple of years or so, have been "nesting" here in Florida. Well finally life has settled down, and at the beginning of the year, I put a low-ball shipping request on "uship" to bring the all trac out. Last night someone accepted the bid, and the car should be on it's way out here in a couple of weeks.

Here's the car as it sits now:

Before a quick hose off (with 12 years of arizona dust on it:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/IMG_0028.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/IMG_0029.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/IMG_0031.jpg

And here it is after a quick hose down:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/IMG_0034.jpg

Over the past year I have been stockpiling parts:

Fender Lights
New engine harnesses
complete RC engine/Tranny
JDM folding mirrors
98+ 5S block
AL radiator
SS exhaust piping
Mufflers
High Flow Cat
AL tubing for intake
Complete System 10 interior
3 amps and speakers
7" Nav screen
HKS CAMP 2
HKS cams
TRD tarmac springs (new in box)
Complete Poly bushing set (front/rear/Diff/subframe)
Torsen rear diff
7th Gen GT-S wheels
Porsche/Brembo front calipers and brackets
(still looking for a good deal on ST205 rears if you have any connections)
The list goes on and on... My "Guest room" in my house looks like a parts warehouse :-) (almost changed that to "whorehouse" with spell checker)

Then I have been acquiring the tools here to do this project. I already have the shop basics... Just added to it:

Blast cabinet
Press
Powdercoating oven
powdercoating gun
set of paint guns

The plan is that once it gets here, put it on a rolling stand (weld up some 2" square tubing on casters and bring the chassis 2-3' off the ground) Then pull the suspension, blast and powdercoat it all, rebuild it with the poly bushings, rebuild the spindles with new bearings, then scrape all the undercoating off, fix any rust, re-coat the underbody, re-install the suspension

after that:
Interior/soundsystem - color change, leather/alcantara seats, and hidden yet powerful soundsystem with on-dash nav

Body- RC Hood/bumper, Color change... I found the perfect color that matches my desire to be subtle, yet also show off my carbon fiber fetish

Drivetrain - Not going for what all the kiddies in here want... I am stroking it, using a smallish turbo and going for a responsive and torquey engine under 500hp. RC transmission, single piece driveshaft (probably steel), Rebuilt torsen Diff

Engine management Still not sure which way I am going here... I have enough harnesses and connectors that I will rebuild a new loom regardless and wire it for what I need.

Anyways, I expect for this project to take me close to 2 years... I havn't started the project yet, so I am not starting a project thread... this is just to show y'all what's to come and to show off my excitement that it's finally going to happen.

pintoBC_3sgte
02-19-2012, 06:54 PM
98+ 5s ... going for a 5sgte?

have fun with the build. you've definatly waited long enough :)

temperacerguy
02-19-2012, 07:12 PM
yes, 5S-GTE

Here are the tentative plans:

8.5-8:8 compression ratio... as I am not going for high boost, I really don't need to account for high boost detonation.
HKS 264 cams
+1mm intake and exhaust valves... ferrera or BC unsure
Shimless buckets
unsure on springs... I am going to talk to some spring manufacturers as I don't need the spring pressure from God most people use as I am going low boost reasonable RPM and:
Ti Retainers
Shimless buckets
Shotpeen stock 3S rods (they've lasted 740 dyno abused hp on my last 2.2 build)
ported head (still deciding who's to do my head.. considering headgames as I like their theory of porting)
oil squirters
Moroso oil pan
intercooler will be using an RC core, however there will be some other secrets to this I won't reveal yet

The goal for this project is something my Fiance' (who's current car is a F360) would enjoy driving

Hookecho
02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow, it is great looking shape. Do you have a timeline for finishing the project?

temperacerguy
02-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Wow, it is great looking shape. Do you have a timeline for finishing the project?

Thank you, The body is in great shape, but there is some underbody corrosion... There's going to be quite a bit of "under the hood" work

Yes, it's probably going to be about 2 years. Now I know this sounds like a "oh my god, this will never get finished" timeline, but it's realistic for me for a time/money perspective. I have a vast life outside of cars, so this is something I fit in in-between the rest. Also I am probably one of the most ADD types of people when it comes to my car projects. For example, while I love the RC bumper, I hate the front JDM plate holder... so rather than just get it, prime it, paint and install, I will be cutting out the plate holder, plastic welding in more urethane, shaping, priming and painting..

Nitro_Alltrac
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Glad to see that you're getting the car down to where you can start on it. This thing should be something when done. I'm looking to see the progress.

temperacerguy
02-19-2012, 11:27 PM
OK, settled on the color... I am going to paint the vehicle with Summit's paint system. I looked into other professional and DIY type of paint systems, mostly the PPG lines, Duplicolor paintshop lines, and finally settled on Summit's It looks like it's the most forgiving for what I am doing.

I plan on shooting it with Summit "Carbon Fiber"
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-swbc529_w.jpg

Then mix in a tad of black candy into the layers of clear. This with the reflective metalic base, will darken the contours of the body work-highlighting the curves, as with greater angles you are looking through more of the candy, making the hood and roof look nearly black. Which is good as I will be using a carbon fiber hood and perhaps a carbon fiber sunroof, so the candy will hide the "LOOK AT ME" aspect of carbon fiber.

UtahSleeper
02-19-2012, 11:40 PM
That should look damn good with that color, although you dont see many people paint cars that look to have great paint. Is there issues with the paint we dont see, or just not a fan of black?

temperacerguy
02-19-2012, 11:42 PM
The paint is in good shape... the front bumper is faded from sitting in the AZ sun for 10 years, but other than that it's pretty perfect. I'm painting it because I am going to have the car stripped out anyways, and want to make it custom.

ChrisD
02-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Wow, i bet you're hapy you held on to it all this time! Looking forward to watching this car progress over the next few yrs!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

4thgenceli
02-20-2012, 12:43 AM
I staked out on the highway out of Tempe. I didn't see no truck with it on it so I gave up trying to steal it.

temperacerguy
02-20-2012, 01:09 AM
LOL if you want, I can tell you when the truck is picking it up, so you can wave at it and cry as it goes away. LOL

temperacerguy
02-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Hey Burny.... no more "Kinda"

Truck should be out there between 6-7 your time :-)

The Shipping broker didn't listen to ANYTHING I said like 5 times... Here were the conditions to the shipment "After march 1st, and need 48 hours notice to prep the car for shipment" I get a call at 4:30pm AZ time with a message "The truck is picking up TODAY and should be there between 6-7pm"

So my parents (in their 60s) are rushing around trying to stuff the car with as much of my old shop supplies as possible... They said they got my good folding engine stands in there!

UtahSleeper
02-22-2012, 01:37 AM
That sucks they didn't listen to the requirements. Hope the pack and ship works out well though, and at worse you will have to try and get shit shipped later.

temperacerguy
02-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Well the parents found much... But when I closed my shop, I kind of dumped stuff in their back yard... LOL I have probably 3 SW20 worth of parts back there, some BNR32GTR parts, some AW11 parts... so I just had to describe to them over the phone with them taking pictures and texting them to me... "No, that's an SW20 jackshaft and half shaft, but in the corner of the pic, it looks like the driveshaft for the celica... no that's a Supra TT shaft..."

I love my parents... and they have done so much above and beyond.. LOL I am not sure if I got the underbraces... so I posted a question about that... May need to replace some :-)

The car is now sitting at the gate, awaiting the driver to pick it up.

Lonestag
02-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Man, thats going to be an exciting build, i'm stoked for the stroker!

temperacerguy
02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
OK, well the driver called at 6pm saying "I'm just crossing into AZ from California, are you going to be available when I get there?" I parents said "yes" and called me for the update.. About an hour later I called them and couldn't get them on any of their phones... house and both cells. I then got a call from a very out of breath mother saying "well, he wont be here till the morning" I asked why she was out of breath, and she said that her and my father PUSHED THE CAR TO THE STREET! I didn't ask them... they just did to make it easy on the shipper..

Now here's a satilite image:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/sataliteimage.jpg

The celica is circled... They (a 68yr old woman with severe COPD and 70yr old man with a leg filled with plates, rods and screws) pushed the car out, through the diagonal gate... out to a semi-busy street (68th), down the street, onto Belleview, and parked it where the silver car is in that image.

The truck did not show up in the morning as promised... He showed up at 12:30 in the afternoon, AZ time and loaded the car. Father said he took 40+ photos. So pictures of the loading will follow.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Enjoy cleaning out all the Black Widows when you get her!

cklamp
02-23-2012, 12:36 AM
holey crap your parents deserve a fuckin medal. Talk about going above and beyond... sound like nice people:)

later
C

temperacerguy
02-23-2012, 02:49 AM
holey crap your parents deserve a fuckin medal. Talk about going above and beyond... sound like nice people:)

later
C

Yes they do... However in the imortal words from Something about mary: "First chink in the armor Ted"

I get a call from my mom... "We were perfect till the last moment... After the car was loaded up on the transport, your father made sure the doors were locked, and locked the keys in the car" The transport driver was not willing to wait for a locksmith, so he said that he'd just charge $50 to unlock it. I just hope he doesn't damage the rubber window seal when popping the lock.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Well, after them pushing it all the way out, locking the keys in the car is excusable.

temperacerguy
02-23-2012, 04:18 AM
after everything they did, they could light the car on fire and it be excusable.

MCcelica
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Your parents rule bro.

Cavanagh
02-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I'M sorry, but F360 as in Ferrari?!
Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

temperacerguy
02-24-2012, 04:34 AM
I'M sorry, but F360 as in Ferrari?!
Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Yup... I am marrying well above my station. She daily drives a RAV4, but takes the Ferrari out on rare occasions. Her previous Fiance' ordered it from Ferrari when it was announced, picked it up from the Factory, drove it for 2 weeks then parked it as his vineyard just outside of Verona, and came to the US. 2 weeks later he was killed in a motorcycle accident. It sat at the vineyard being "lightly driven" by the ex fiance's brother till a year ago last November when he had a minor accident with it, then was sent back to Marinello where it was repaired and US Federalized at Ferrari Classico, then shipped to her house in Memphis. Due to the history of the car, and the emotion attached to it, she can't bare to sell it, and has a hard time driving it as well.

Eric Barrera
02-24-2012, 05:11 AM
SOooooo, you drive it right?

Looking forward to the build buddy

temperacerguy
02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
I've driven it twice. It's a beautiful car, and sounds amazing. Ferraris will always have a spot in my soul. But I understand the sentimental value of the car, and respect that, so I don't ask/want to drive it that much. I'll snap a pic of it next time I am in Memphis.

temperacerguy
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
and away she goes:

Look at the back crammed with parts:
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/TravelinTom/Celica/IMG_0044.jpg
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/TravelinTom/Celica/IMG_0043.jpg

Faded front bumper, and covered with dust/rough paint :-)
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/TravelinTom/Celica/IMG_0037.jpg

scuffs/dents from when my father stored a pallet against it, and a sandstorm came through.
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/TravelinTom/Celica/IMG_0005.jpg
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/TravelinTom/IMG_0048.jpg

And being loaded up:
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/TravelinTom/IMG_0047.jpg
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/TravelinTom/IMG_0046.jpg

For anyone wondering....

I got bids on the car shipped through uship. The first bids I received were for $1400-$2100. I threw a "name your own price" bid up for $900. Now I thought that it was a low ball price that no one would take, but by putting a name your own price up there, it shows that you're a serious customer as you have the money on hand.

When shipping, I avoid brokers as much as I can. Brokers are the middle man who take your business and then try and find a carrier who will do it for 10% less. Most of the time with low paying customers (like me) the broker will take the bid, then try and find someone who will do it... if they can't find someone, they just cancel, wasting your time. (these cancellations are listed in their profile)

So, I was getting bids from actual "man with a truck" type of carriers (rejecting bids from brokers), and they all hovered around $1200-$1300 till the last few days of my listing... then there was a bidding war, and the price started dropping.. I was waiting for a bid from a carrier whom I had been in contact with regarding the details of the shipment (I felt comfortable with him). The bidding price dropped to $940 then all of a sudden.....

A broker snatched up my low ball "name your price" of $900.

Now, so far my biggest fear has not materialized... the truck picked up my car (albeit 9 days too early). So the broker found someone to do it, and the car is on it's way...

However when dealing with a middle man, there are many concerns:
-Lack of communication: So far this has been a problem as she didn't listen to my shipment issues, and the driver was not aware of the parts in the car. Also, I have not been able to get in touch with the driver as his "phone is not accepting calls at this time"
-When is the car going to be delivered? I don't know. I put a wide open window as part of my "shipping listing" to attract the most bidders, but when the low ball price was snatched up, there was no window for delivery given... so by contract, they have till 4/1 to deliver the car.

Now, the way that Uship works to protect the shipper and the carrier... is that when you have a "name your price" bid... that if it's accepted, Uship takes the money and holds it in escrow. So You've paid... but the carrier will not be paid till the vehicle is delivered. Uship sends me a payment code, and once the vehicle is delivered, I give that code to the broker, and they get their money.

So... Let's see what the next few weeks holds, shall we?

temperacerguy
02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
And just got word that my RC bumper and all the grilles are on their way :-)

Waffles!
02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Sweet pics. When I bought my MR2, I paid $400 to have it shipped from the PO in Virginia to my doorstep. I can't remember who I went through, but they picked up on my designated day and delivered the car to me the next day. I can't wait to see more pics of it when it gets to you.

CollapsedNut
02-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Huh, thats the same car I saw on ebay today for sale with no title.

temperacerguy
02-25-2012, 03:51 AM
Sweet pics. When I bought my MR2, I paid $400 to have it shipped from the PO in Virginia to my doorstep. I can't remember who I went through, but they picked up on my designated day and delivered the car to me the next day. I can't wait to see more pics of it when it gets to you.

With the way Diesel has increased in price over the past years, shipping of this means has gone up in price significantly. When I had it shipped from VA to AZ back 12 years ago, I only paid $600

temperacerguy
02-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Huh, thats the same car I saw on ebay today for sale with no title.

Smart Ass. LOL

OK, So there are a few shows that I watch religiously... True Blood, Californication, Shameless (both UK and US versions), Nurse Jackie, and Frasier (don't judge me). Then there are shows that I keep on my DVR indefinately, and refer back to all the time for tips and tricks. Some of these shows are those on the powerblock on spike... Now while the projects they mostly do are not my style... the fabrication and techniques they use are universal for any project, especially the metal working and paint. One of my favorite people on the powerblock is Kevin Tetz from "Trucks!". Well I joined his forum "paintucation" to gather knowledge on various paint systems prior to me starting this project, and purchased a few of his videos. I just got this in the mail:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/autograph.jpg

You can't read it well there, but says "Austin.. Good Luck with your project" Sounds stupid as I know quite a few famous people on a personal level... but this is my first autographed photo and I got excited to see it. LOL

4thgenceli
02-25-2012, 07:31 AM
I have one that's better. Mine has tits in it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

MCcelica
02-25-2012, 07:43 AM
That's freakin sweet that he sent you that though. I'm excited to see where this build is going. :)

temperacerguy
02-25-2012, 08:20 AM
I have one that's better. Mine has tits in it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I don't know what circles you run in where you have an autographed picture of Kevin Tetz showing his tits, but I suggest you keep that shit to yourself.

temperacerguy
03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't know why the hell I even talk to these people!!! Do they even read contracts.

So as some of you know, I work 3rd shift treating sleeping disorders. This isn't a job I can leave for appointments, it's not like someone can cover my shift. As such, all over the contract, I said that I was not available for delivery from 7pm to 7am, I also said to call 48 hours in advance to arrange for delivery.

So, I get a call at 11am (3 hours into my sleep... figure it the equivalent of someone calling you at 2am), saying "Yeah, I got your Celica here, I'm going to be delivering it tonight". I said (half awake) "That's fine, as long as you're here before 6:30." after a pause he says "well, I need to deliver it tonight" I said "That's fine... as long as you're here before 6:30 as I said... it's written in the contract that the car needs to be delivered between 7am and 7pm as I work in healthcare and can't be away from my patients" He's obviously agitated, but realizes that he's under contract "Well, I'll try" I said "Thanks... just give me a call an hour out, and I'll be ready for you"

I get a call at 4:00 pm "Well, I'm running late, so I won't be able to deliver the car until tomorrow morning" "That's perfect, I'll see you tomorrow."
I get a call at 5:30pm "Well, I'm not sure when I'll be there.... it will probably be after Lunch" "OK.... see you tomorrow"

Who's in agreement that the guy will try and deliver at like 7:30 tomorrow evening?

crymson
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Having worked my share of odd hours jobs, he'll be there about an hour and half after you go to sleep.

temperacerguy
03-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Having worked my share of odd hours jobs, he'll be there about an hour and half after you go to sleep.

Well on one hand I am glad that didn't happen. at 4:30am I developed a headache (as I have given up caffeine) by 5:30 it turned into a raging migraine. I limped home peeping through one eye, jumped in the shower and passed out for an hour. woke up, literally crawled, dripping wet, to my bed and passed out till 3:00pm. Thankfully I woke up and the headache was gone. I looked at my phone with no missed calls. So I called the driver, he said "well, I'm running late and just outside of Jacksonville so I should be there tonight" I said again "well, I have to go into work at 7::00, and I cannot be late to work as I treat patients" He said "well, I'll try"

Just got a call 20 minutes ago... guess what. He just left Jacksonville, his GPS says he's due at "7:30" He said he's going to drive maximum speed to try and get here. I told him that I am walking out the door for work at 7:30, and if he's not there, he will just have to meet me in the morning.

So, backup that he doesn't know about... Tonight is a RARE night that I actually work with someone. So, I came into work (I'm here now) Did all my paperwork and prep for my patient, and asked my co-worker "If I am not there, just give my patient the paperwork, put them in their room and I will be there shortly." This gives me till 8:15pm before I have to leave...

So... We Shall See.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-03-2012, 12:28 AM
After watching some of these jokers on Shipping Wars (haulers bidding on the jobs on Uship), Have to say that I'm not surprised.

Good price, but they don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed sometimes.

Looking forward to seeing it when you finally receive it. Good luck.

pintoBC_3sgte
03-03-2012, 01:10 AM
After watching some of these jokers on Shipping Wars (haulers bidding on the jobs on Uship), Have to say that I'm not surprised.

Good price, but they don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed sometimes.

Looking forward to seeing it when you finally receive it. Good luck.

i like how they try to cut a deal so they dont get bad feedback :P

Nitro_Alltrac
03-03-2012, 02:07 AM
How is this guy's feedback looking so far Austin?

temperacerguy
03-03-2012, 02:19 AM
As for truck drivers...

"Sharpest tool in the shed" comment... If you spent 16 hours a day driving, with your only live interaction with people being at truck stops, and at loading docks, then I bet you'd be a bit dull as well :-) People with Harvard educations rarely drive a truck for a living or work on loading docks.

I have actually met some good truck drivers. Hard workers, and honest, and getting screwed out of money left and right.

As for the "shipping wars" If they chose good shippers who do well on all their shipments (like 90% of them) then they would have no show...

Instead they choose the most homer simpson like "man with a truck" type people they can.

That being said.... "Leo" (my trucker) is sleeping in the lowes parking lot near my house till the morning because he didn't get here till after I left for work.

temperacerguy
03-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Leo, although kind of a flake and behind schedule... has been very informative, and has been good.

The broker who booked him (and who will be getting the feedback) has been AWOL... I have sent her 4 E-mails over the past week with no response...

She doesn't get paid till I get the car, and she is issued the payment code... So I think I will wait for 4-5 phonecalls from her before I answer and give her the code.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-03-2012, 04:23 AM
That sounds like the thing to do. Your instructions weren't that difficult but they seemed to have some problems with them.

temperacerguy
03-03-2012, 01:55 PM
And it's here...

Leo did well dropping it off. The trunk privacy shade was broken because of poor packing The car is filled with goodies... lots in the car is sun faded... we will see how everything is after a good cleaning, but that's not happening for a few weeks..

For now, it's under a car cover parked on the street. The home-owners association will shit a brick, but I will move it into my driveway after I get some sleep.

For now, I am going to bed... but I will leave you with a few pictures:

The car coming off the truck:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/cc617412.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/40d29f2b.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/e6d6b832.jpg

The interior stuffed with parts:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/temperacerguy/bf87fe88.jpg

temperacerguy
03-03-2012, 01:57 PM
OK, so let's see what's in there:

TRD Tarmac springs (box on the left)
New High side AC line
NEW 5th Gen floor mats (in bag)
New Tail light vents in the center box.

The cusco bar I installed is wrapped up in the center.

temperacerguy
03-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh, I did find some ultra minor surface rust.... That will clean up no problem when I do the bodywork.

pintoBC_3sgte
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
holy ! what are those 22's, 24's on the suv above ya? :P good to see it arrived safely!

temperacerguy
03-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Don't know... it was an escalade. I was so tired when it arrived, I was just happy to inspect it and get it off the trailer. Leo did a good job. I am happy.

Oh, and Lidya, the broker has called once and E-mailed once for the payment code. 2 more times and I will reply.