PDA

View Full Version : spark plug tube remover tool

lue
02-10-2012, 08:02 AM
do any local auto stores carry this spark plug tube remover? and no i do not want to use pliers to remove the tubes.

85gtsblackman
02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
i used vise grips but wrapped the tube with some sort of cloth i had laying around

Hookecho
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Pipe wrench, chain wrench, or strap wrench.

Galcobar
02-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Alternately, take two of the nuts which secure the valve cover and put them on the top of the tube, with the shoulders together. Then use a wrench to grip the bottom nut -- the upper nut will lock the bottom one in place, forcing the tube to turn instead.

Luni
02-10-2012, 10:09 PM
^Sometimes that doesnt work and you end up having to use a pipe wrench.

BGB calls for "thread sealant" aka Locktite. Some of those are really IN there.

Who gives a crap if you chew them up a little with a pipe wrench. It wont hurt anything. Just stay away from the threads.

lue
02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Alternately, take two of the nuts which secure the valve cover and put them on the top of the tube, with the shoulders together. Then use a wrench to grip the bottom nut -- the upper nut will lock the bottom one in place, forcing the tube to turn instead.

ahh.. thanks for the tip. i never thought of that before lol i will give it a try when the weather is better outside..

lue
02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
^Sometimes that doesnt work and you end up having to use a pipe wrench.

BGB calls for "thread sealant" aka Locktite. Some of those are really IN there.

Who gives a crap if you chew them up a little with a pipe wrench. It wont hurt anything. Just stay away from the threads.

locktite which the little blue tube if i am correct? but that's weird some people say to use adhesive to seal it?.. i dont know what they are talking exactly about but i'm guessing its not that red gasket adhesive.

Galcobar
02-11-2012, 08:32 AM
The BGB calls for high-temp blue-strength thread locker, which Loctite makes. Some people prefer to use Toyota's FIPG.

lue
02-11-2012, 10:10 AM
sorry i'm a total noob.. are you talking about this?

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

temperacerguy
02-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes, that's the one...

Here's a general newbies guide.
Loctite "Blue" (242) is for large medium strength threads with a strong bond, or smaller threads with a medium strength bond (the more threads, the stronger the bond)
Loctite "Red" (271) is for STRONG bond, where you don't want it to back out with vibration.
Loctite "green" (290) is for a medium strength bond that will wick into already assembled threads
Loctite "green" (640) is a sleeve retainer aka "Snot of God", where you want a bond between two smooth surfaces. You do not want to put this on a threaded fastener unless you want it to be permanent... Don't ask me how I know this.