PDA

View Full Version : Turn by turn recap of Jasmine's Inaugural Drive

4thgenceli
02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
It's been 27 months since I first received the gen4 3s-gte motor from Venus Auto and 30 months since I've owned Jasmine.

She moved by herself for the first time under her own power last Saturday. It was simply around the backyard to the front to load her onto a trailer, but she still moved by herself.

Today, I took her out for a test drive around the block to see how she handled. Opened the gates and pulled around. I let her idle in the driveway for a few minutes to warm up.

Grab the clutch, put it in first, and slowly start driving. I take it easy for the first 2 blocks. Everything seems to be running well, temps are at about 140* and oil pressure seems to be in spec.

Brake check: 25mph to zero with no fade.

Left turn to take a 1/4 mile drive up to the next intersection. First gear to 3k rpm (no turbo spool, I granny'd it). Grab second gear, granny it up to 3k and grab 3rd gear. I mash it to about 3/4 throttle. Around 2200ish RPM I hear a whistle....that gets louder every second. All of a sudden my ass is buried in the seat. Glance at the boost gauge I'm just at 3 or 4psi. I give it a bit more throttle...my ass goes further into the seat, a deep growl emits from the muffler and I lose traction. Boost gauge shows 6psi (I hit about 40mph).

I let off the gas, slow down to about 20mph and grab 2nd gear. Same test. Give it 3/4 throttle. Damn near instantly the telltale sign of turbo kicks in. My ass is in the backseat, turbo spooling, spooling...growling exhaust...boost builds and then I lose traction. 6psi, 40mph.

By this time my next turn has come up. I stop, look both ways, check gauges. Temps around 190, oil is great. No smells, no burning, no smoke, nadda. I can feel myself just grinning like a kid on Christmas. I decide to see what she's holding...

Take a left. Granny through first. I grab second at 15mph. I just mash the pedal down to the floor. Exhaust growls and my butt dyno goes off the chart. Whistle kicks in around 25mph, I feel like I'm in a damn jet plane. I hold it...keep going..boost building...I hit 7PSI before I loose traction. Let off the gas to get ahold of her again and a group of kids walking jump from the BOV.

Next left comes up. This one as a bunch of whoops in it. Time to test the suspension. I'm set like 5 or 6 clicks from soft. Once again, I granny 1st gear. I grab second and granny most of it. I get on it around 30mph and gun it to about 35 and before I loose traction shift to 3rd. I do about 40 though the whoops. Downshift to 2nd gear, slow down, take the final left turn and gun it. Wheels break free as soon as I hit 6psi.

I reel it back and cruise at 25 back to the house. I hit a small bump and I have a clunk from the passenger front suspension. As I'm pulling the driveway I notice my temps are about 210.... I blip the gas (loosing traction and marking the driveway). About this time I see steam coming out. I pull it around, park it, kill the motor and put the fans on to cool her down.

<more to follow>

4thgenceli
02-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Now the bad...the damage.

Suspension is fucking AMAZING. The clunk...I lost a sway bar bushing somewhere on the drive. This explains also why the passenger side lost traction before the driver side.

Coolant temp. I have the st165 radiator. I'm not using the turbo return line on the radiator. I capped it off and clamped it. Apperently the rated vacum cap coudlnt hold pressure & split. Sprayed coolant out over the exhaust. Simple fix, no damage caused (temps never went over 220, I think the hottest was around 210).

I can't boost over 5 or 6psi constantly. Once I hit that boost level, my tires lose grip. I'm looking into new tires. I can granny it around all day, but if I wanna boost I need traction.

bloodMoney
02-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Can't read.

What nao?

4thgenceli
02-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Can't read.

What nao?

Car goes vrOooooooOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

85gtsblackman
02-10-2012, 05:55 AM
so u are still running 13s for tires?

im hoping this guy buys the beater so i can feel the same feeling before summer arises

oh my truck did the same thing with the vac cap on the turbo coolant nipple on the rad. my solution which has worked so far even when the truck was overheating was a rubber hose (trans/fuel type hose with a tight fitting bolt on one end and the bolt end that was shoved in the hose was coated with fipg, and also clamped on both ends with 2 clamps per end. works fine

CriScO
02-10-2012, 06:05 AM
GT-S is 14's, whoo! Lol!

Tecker184
02-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Tires don't help me at all, i have had several different types nothing helped. I have a set of drag radials that only have two pass's on them. Im hoping this year to really get to use them.

Eric Barrera
02-10-2012, 06:57 AM
I grinned while reading this. I'm happy you got her running. Congrats

Hookecho
02-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Weak.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-10-2012, 09:16 AM
At least Eric had a video.

Congrats on getting your machine running!

Sent via Imperial Comlink

CollapsedNut
02-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I never thought we would see the day that Tim drove this car even just around the block. It's one small step for Tim....One giant leap for...well Tim

david in germany
02-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Way to go Tim!

Waffles!
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
It's about damn time!

Luni
02-10-2012, 10:13 PM
I could have sworn Id have my MR2 up and running first. Good job old boy.

Get yourself some Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. You may still lose traction a bit, but not near as bad. And go as wide as you can get. Maybe some new wheels are in order later down the road (8 inches wide at least)

4thgenceli
02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I think it'll be sidelined until I can get some better tires. These I have right now is like driving on ice. I can drive it, but when that turbo wakes up I'm SOL. It's looking like I'll need another grand for my tires/rims (if I get rid of the 14" and go 16" like I'm thinking).

4thgenceli
02-10-2012, 10:48 PM
At least Eric had a video.

Congrats on getting your machine running!

Sent via Imperial Comlink

Video will be coming. I need to figure out a way to mount it in the car or convince the wife to ride along/stand on the sidewalk with it.

85gtsblackman
02-11-2012, 06:53 AM
If u have 5 lug I can sell u my wheels off my beater and u can run 225/45/16s I dunno if 245s will rub on a 4th gen, they clear a 6th just fine

Hipster Lawrence
02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I could have sworn Id have my MR2 up and running first. Good job old boy.

Get yourself some Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. You may still lose traction a bit, but not near as bad. And go as wide as you can get. Maybe some new wheels are in order later down the road (8 inches wide at least)

The star specs are amazing tires.

4thgenceli
02-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I felt like this lil' piggy when boosting..

H8ZDV3fvaXM