PDA

View Full Version : JDM folding mirrors wiring?

temperacerguy
02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
OK, in my search on here and google, I have come up with no one who has actually wired these up...

I found this wiring diagram but it says no one has actually done it yet...

So.... Have any of you actually wired up JDM folding mirrors to a US car, and if so, is this the correct wiring diagram?

http://diy.icydesigns.com/article/42/Toyota/Celica/1990-93_(ST18x)/Wiring_Diagram_-_JDM_Folding_Power_Mirrors/#.TzNydza0zCs

I ask, cause I just purchased all the parts (heh-he heh-he)

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Best to test it and find out. I have all the parts aside for the mirrors and I am curious to how acurate that diagram is. I also wonder how the vibration and defrost commands are sent to folding mirrors...

Sent via Imperial Comlink

david in germany
02-09-2012, 10:07 PM
That wiring diagram is one another ctech member an I did a LONG time ago. I think it was Caneman. I have done them, they were not easy, I made an entire new harness to install them.

david in germany
02-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Knew it!
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?14515-Wiring-Diagram-JDM-Folding-Power-Mirrors-(56K-Warning)

The Captain
02-10-2012, 12:11 AM
That page hurt my head.

temperacerguy
02-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Well, I am pleased to say that I have this cool "little" hardware store in orlando called "sky surplus" basically when industrial supply shops or the like go out of business, sky buys their inventory for pennies. they have EVERYTHING that a DIY geek could possibly want.

Here's what they do. Lets say they buy a box of gold plated terminals like this:
http://carampsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/8-Gold-Terminals.jpg
for $20

They estimate there are 1000 in them for a unit cost of 2 cents. They write on the box .05each, and they toss it on a shelf. no organization, no inventory... just 20,000 different items sitting in cardboard boxes with the tops ripped off on shelves too narrow for a fat guy like me to navigate comfortably. This is not a hardware store for someone clueless to walk into and ask for help finding materials to wire up a light switch. This is where MacGuiver or the A-team goes into to get parts to make a home-made solar powered passenger Jet.

Here's where this applies to me :-) They have miles upon miles of spools of specialty automotive/aircraft wire. again, tossed on a shelf with a sharpie pen written on each spool "$.10 per 5 foot" probably 4000 different guage/color/strand combinations, male/female terminal blocks, spools of terminal pins and so on. I can make an OEM quality harness for this for the cost of an hour wandering through sky surplus, $20 in materials, and 2-3 hours of wiring it all together...

"Humming the A-team theme"

david in germany
02-10-2012, 08:20 AM
That page hurt my head.

Banging my head trying to get that shit to work made my head hurt.. lol

temperacerguy
02-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Holy shitake batman!

Yesterday the mirrors arrived from New Zeland... like 5 days international shipping (the cheap way) I purchased a 12V adapter, and some aligator clips. I am going to play around with the functions tonight while I am at work. Oh, and I think I may have figured a way to get the perspectives right on them :-)

temperacerguy
02-18-2012, 06:41 AM
OK, just tested my mirrors. Everything is fine EXCEPT...

On the diagram, for LH "Driver's door" LT GRN is - for extend, and Y is + for extend.

RH "passenger's mirror" GRN is - for extend and BL is + for extend. Not that it matters, as the rest of the diagram is correct...

Now, the next thing I am going to test if the retract command (pink from switch to retract control box) is a ground command or a 12V command. The reason this matters, is if this is a ground command, you can hook this up to an alarm with a "ground when armed" output, so when you arm the alarm the mirrors retract... then when you un-arm the alarm they extend. I will test this when I am home with a simple continuity test light.