PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Kenwood eXcelon X995?

PearlJammzz
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Anyone have thoughts on this headunit? Use a similar model or this one before?

Luni
02-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Looking at its specs and features, that unit doesnt have the Android compatibility youre looking for.

PearlJammzz
02-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh it does bromigo. They just don't advertise it. If you look at the Android app there is a compatibility list and it lists this head unit.

The X996 is coming out...soon. It's the 2012 model. From specs and look it's basically the same damn unit. It advertises Android compatibility (although it should function JUST like the X995) but more importantly it controls Pandora on the phone from the head unit. This is something that may or may not work with the X995. Regardless, I am looking at the X996 as my head unit of choice. Was hoping someone owned a similar model and had some experience with it. Online reviews are favorable.

PearlJammzz
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Sooo Any of the new Kenwoods work like a BOSS with an Android phone. They have to have USB support but that seems to be about it. Download the Kenwood app to your phone, let it build a database (took a min or 2) and then plug it in. The radio auto-detects and switches to a list that lets you browse JUST like you would on an iPod. I tried to get the menus to lag and I couldn't. I loaded all artists all songs and scrolled as fast as I could and it kept up perfectly. Highest quality VBR MP3's loaded instantly, no lag no anything. Was awesome!

So ya, looking at the X996 that comes out at the end of February as my HU. It will also allow me to control Pandora on my HU as well.

The Captain
02-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I love my Excelon. Even tho it's old. Kinda like me!

crymson
02-11-2012, 01:29 AM
I have one, it's a very nice head unit. I don't konw exactly what android support you're looking for; but it does handle bluetooth calling, and will read music off of my inspire (with the app as noted by pearljammzz)

PearlJammzz
02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
The app makes it work just as if it's an iPod which is awesome. I wanna select an artist or genre not files from a file/folder directory. That's what the Kenwood offers!

Luni
02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Brian, the point of that app though IMO is to not plug your phone into your car, its to just put your music on a flash drive or something, and do it that way. Or get a way to power a USB hard drive, and have one of those chilling in there.

That kenwood app can do it with a normal drive, so who gives a shit about your phone. I mean its nice to have if you need it, but just get the deck, use the kenwood app, load shit up on a hard drive or a flash drive and just roll like that. I wouldnt even dick around with my phone.

PearlJammzz
02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
1. Where are you seeing this Kenwood app that does this? Only thing I can think is to create a database file on your phone and then edit that to match whatever the directories on a thumb drive would be and HOPEFULLY the HU would just load that database file automatically. Not sure if it'll work like that though.

2. I already have my music on my cell...I always plug my cell in to charge when I hop in the car. Whynot play my tunes off of it?