PDA

View Full Version : Play in my stick shifter

nitsua93
02-08-2012, 03:57 AM
I have a good amount of play when I'm in a gear, 1st looks almost just like 3rd and feel like they can wiggle over to each other. I've taken my center console out and I can see that the play goes all the way to the rods that would go out of the interior of my Celica's "cab". Does anyone know how to fix this? It's a 2000 Celica GTS

The Captain
02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd check the bushings on the shifter levers on the trans.

vip09
02-08-2012, 06:42 PM
You know they have pills that can give your shaft a more solid feel.

Murgatroy
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
If you are in first or third, just moving the shifter sideways will not change the gear, you still have to go through neutral first.

The slop is in the shifter bushings on the transmission, where the cables connect. There are no detents or slots on the shifter or assembly, it is all cable operated and connected to the transmission.

This is usually a result of resting your hand on the shifter when in gear, it most likely effects 5th gear the most. It will wear the detents down and eventually cause the car to pop out of gear.

nitsua93
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
If you are in first or third, just moving the shifter sideways will not change the gear, you still have to go through neutral first.

The slop is in the shifter bushings on the transmission, where the cables connect. There are no detents or slots on the shifter or assembly, it is all cable operated and connected to the transmission.

This is usually a result of resting your hand on the shifter when in gear, it most likely effects 5th gear the most. It will wear the detents down and eventually cause the car to pop out of gear.

Thanks! Glad you can answer a question, unlike vip09. How would I get to those bushings?

Murgatroy
02-10-2012, 06:58 PM
There are companies that specialize in brass shifter bushings, I think TWM may have them as well. I have never had to replace them before, so I don't know what all is involved, but I don't think it is that difficult.

4thgenceli
02-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks! Glad you can answer a question, unlike vip09. How would I get to those bushings?

Must not have the LOL mod installed then...

There's many places to buy the bushings, google can help find some. I don't remember where I bought mine.

Murgatroy
02-10-2012, 08:31 PM
You know, I used to play a video game with a fellow named Austin that named his toon Nistua...

Hipster Lawrence
02-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Speed source bushings are what I have. And as long as they are easy to get to installation is a breeze. Night and day difference. Probably the best mod for the money on a cable shifted car.

nitsua93
02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Did you replace the bushings yourself? How'd you do it?

Night_Wolf
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I've got the speed source brass bushings and they're simple to install if you go in through the drivers side wheel well, you just pull the shifter cable off the linkage on the transmission, pop the old ones out (can be a bit of a pain) then just slide the new ones into the cable, put it back onto the shifter linkage on the trans and put the little clip on the top to keep it from coming off

4thgenceli
02-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Mine were a cinch. Of course the engine and transmission were out of the car when I replaced them...

With it still in the engine bay its not that difficult to get to. You'll maybe have to remove the intake hose from the filter to the throttle body and it's a clear shot from there.