PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: Custom built coil-overs?

KoreanJoey
02-06-2012, 01:37 AM
So I've always wondered what the market is out there for a set of performance shocks for the ST/GT/GT-S celicas. I see people spending money for Megans/Teins/KSport and I am really curious if people out there (aside from myself) want more.

This give options for the shock and spring combinations out there. I was thinking I could build a set with Koni yellows and Hyperco or Swift springs. I could compliment it with torrington bearings, camber plates, helper springs, etc.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in this idea. Figure it'd be best to do a couple at a time.

CriScO
02-06-2012, 02:05 AM
If you did you'd be the first one I went to when I get to that point, if that helps. I know what you bring to the table.

CollapsedNut
02-06-2012, 02:56 AM
I cant think of a better person to buy suspension from. That being said price is a big factor to me as I dont race. Something under $1000 but better than Megans I would be interested in.

temperacerguy
02-06-2012, 04:33 AM
I cant think of a better person to buy suspension from.

I agree whole heartedly... However would you also be able to incorporate some springs for the all trac. I would also prefer swift springs.

gen5dream
02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Well Joey if you can make a kit for a 93 gt-four that rivals the Tein set up and its not as pricey as the teins themselves i'd be very interested. Obviously i do not know your experience in the matter but some people obviously find you to be 100% trust worthy so i'd be ready to try it out. i'll pm you for more info.

KoreanJoey
02-06-2012, 07:20 AM
I might have access to a gt-four as well.

I'm not sure on price as I'm thinking about machining threaded sleeves and bodies as well.

The thing is I don't know if I can beat those guys on price, but I know I can build a better coil-over. Now, the question is, how many people really need/want more than the Megans/KSport/Teins?

I guess I'll just get a couple built (one for myself and maybe one other) and see if anyone is interested.

temperacerguy
02-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Well, I am definately interested... My chassis will be here in about 4 weeks, then the chassis goes up on a rolling stand, so my full suspension can be pulled from it.

As for what I "NEED" I need something that is reliable and adjustable for my needs. Something that is made of high quality materials.

Are you looking at making these with caster/camber plates?

KoreanJoey
02-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I could do it that way. I've got a couple options. I'm wondering if I should adapt something "universal" or if should just machine one from scratch.

I'm jotting lots of notes and sourcing some off the shelf parts where I can. (Koni shocks, Hyperco or Swift springs, torrington bearings, spring guides, bump stops, etc).

temperacerguy
02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Machine what? the camber plates?

If you are machining something from scratch, I would appreciate something caster/camber adjustable like the discontinued MRT units.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa464/phillipplourde/DSC_0325.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa464/phillipplourde/DSC_0326.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa464/phillipplourde/DSC_0327.jpg

Love the way they sandwhich the plates..... only thing I would change is to tack weld the bolts to the underside... that way everything can be unbolted from the top.

temperacerguy
02-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Side note... Where can I get suspension/rear subframe bushings for this chassis. It seems everyone is in the Europe and don't want to pay huge rates on shipping.

allTRACway
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
If you would be able to come up with a good setup for the alltrac/gt4 i would be willing to come to you

temperacerguy
02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Well Joey, I am now all excited and such... LOL

Here's my problem with the shelf coil-overs... It seems that most of them design coil overs that are made are pure "racing" design, and are sold for the street. The spring rates are through the roof, and riding in the cars on the street is pure hell that will rip your fillings out. I would like something with spring rates that are "street able"

Now with this coil over design, are you looking at making custom strut bodies, or re-fabricated stock bodies with coil over mounts?

Totally subscribed...

The Captain
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Wonder how much separate compression and rebound would add.

METDeath
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM

It's just money, you'll make more.

gen5dream
02-07-2012, 02:01 AM
okay i can make more money and up my suspension later :P. I am VERY curious now. I see all the hype and i wanna see a result XD! so Joey please inform us as soon as you start you have clients buddy :P! How would the ride be though? hopefully we can adjust the stiffness so when i take my girlfriend out it wont be too stiff i dont wanna hear her complain hahahah

Ghost
02-07-2012, 03:03 AM
I am down for a set as long as they are not more than $1500 and i haven't bought a set already. how quick can we see a set for sale ?

KoreanJoey
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Whoa, lots to answer, I'll get back to you all tonight.

k.beaty
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
The idea sounds interesting. I'd most likely be in for a set...

KoreanJoey
02-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Side note... Where can I get suspension/rear subframe bushings for this chassis. It seems everyone is in the Europe and don't want to pay huge rates on shipping.

I have no idea...

KoreanJoey
02-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Machine what? the camber plates?

If you are machining something from scratch, I would appreciate something caster/camber adjustable like the discontinued MRT units.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa464/phillipplourde/DSC_0325.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa464/phillipplourde/DSC_0326.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa464/phillipplourde/DSC_0327.jpg

Love the way they sandwhich the plates..... only thing I would change is to tack weld the bolts to the underside... that way everything can be unbolted from the top.

I guess that's doable but I was thinking more of the GC style. Sandwiched with the center for camber and the mounting bolts for caster.

Eric Barrera
02-08-2012, 02:51 AM
I would be in for a set as well. Subscribed :)

KoreanJoey
02-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Well Joey, I am now all excited and such... LOL

Here's my problem with the shelf coil-overs... It seems that most of them design coil overs that are made are pure "racing" design, and are sold for the street. The spring rates are through the roof, and riding in the cars on the street is pure hell that will rip your fillings out. I would like something with spring rates that are "street able"

Now with this coil over design, are you looking at making custom strut bodies, or re-fabricated stock bodies with coil over mounts?

Totally subscribed...

Well, nice thing about building it is I can put whatever spring rate you want, problem would be matching the shocks. I think generally Koni yellows are good for about 15-20% over stock spring rate (as they're designed to work with OE springs).

I'm thinking about machining strut bodies but I don't know if that would be cost effective unless I made several. The advantage to machining my own bodies would be that I could allow the hub mounting to be independently adjustable for ride height vs spring pre-load (of course, pre-load is something you'd have to do as it's a little different for each car).

It'll be cheaper and way, way faster to just modify the stock bodies and run some helper springs to keep the springs in alignment.

KoreanJoey
02-08-2012, 02:56 AM

It will usually add double to the cost of the shocks. DA Konis are around $300-500 a piece. Of course. I'm looking at other shock options but to be honest the DA konis are the cheapest good DA I can think of.

I mean, if you want I throw some JRZs, Penskes or Motons in there, but you'll be paying a minimum of a K per shock.

KoreanJoey
02-08-2012, 02:57 AM
okay i can make more money and up my suspension later :P. I am VERY curious now. I see all the hype and i wanna see a result XD! so Joey please inform us as soon as you start you have clients buddy :P! How would the ride be though? hopefully we can adjust the stiffness so when i take my girlfriend out it wont be too stiff i dont wanna hear her complain hahahah

Well, one option would be to stay relatively low on the spring rate and go stiffer on the shocks. This won't help really for overall grip (as the car will still roll and McPherson suspensions don't gain enough camber on roll) but it'll increase the response of the steering by slowing the roll down.

KoreanJoey
02-08-2012, 03:04 AM
I am down for a set as long as they are not more than $1500 and i haven't bought a set already. how quick can we see a set for sale ?

Well, work + school is making my spare time pretty short right now but I could try to set some time aside for it. I think what I'd do is build one set, use my car (90 GTS w/ ST RSB) for testing/R&D. And once it seems fairly dialed in I'll take them off and post them. I'll include the testing data (tires, alignment specs, tire pressures, etc). I can also try throwing different springs at it and see if I can make them comfortable on the street, but we'll see. If the race shocks are too much I'll have to wait till the second batch for that.

Fortunately I already have a number of different springs around to test (even if they are crap ERS springs they'll give me a basic idea of how the car rides).

Please remember though, this will all be tested with the RSB. I feel it's almost a necessity for someone who wants more performance for their FWD celica.

temperacerguy
02-08-2012, 04:27 AM
OK, I consider myself well educated... but what the hell is "RSB"?

KoreanJoey
02-08-2012, 08:18 AM
rear swaybar.

Sorry, I'm not sure where the hell it came from.

gen5dream
02-09-2012, 04:30 AM
well joey if going softer on the springs wont help with the handling then i should reconsider my idea.. The only issue i'm facing is out here in Quebec the roads are F-ing crap potholes bumps and patches everywhere. I just wanna make sure she rides nicely and it wont be like riding a soapbox. But then again if my girlfriend complains she can walk right? so yeah go with awesome handling :P

Quick question for sway bars and all which company has the best stuff?

KoreanJoey
02-09-2012, 04:42 AM
It'll definitely help handling, just not overall grip. Think slalom speed vs skidpad rating.

I don't think there are a whole lot of options for swaybars right now. I haven't had any problems with my ST bar and have no problems recommending them for the ST184.

temperacerguy
02-09-2012, 05:01 AM
I am going with whiteline rear bar for the ST185.

Keep us informed on what you're planning to do... I am very interested.

METDeath
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I think the Whiteline bar is about the only easy choice for the 185 unless you import a JDM bar.

Ghost
02-20-2012, 04:04 AM
any updates ?

KoreanJoey
02-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Definitely not... Work, school and my corolla are taking my time away from this project... Maybe some progress next weekend.

Ghost
03-15-2012, 08:41 PM
I demand updates !

KoreanJoey
03-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Um... www.windowsupdate.com

I'm in finals week right now but I might be unemployed as of April 2nd so I should have plenty of time to work on this.

METDeath
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Um... www.windowsupdate.com

I'm in finals week right now but I might be unemployed as of April 2nd so I should have plenty of time to work on this.

Whaaaaaaat??? Why???

KoreanJoey
03-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Going back to school full time. 15 credits and work just feels like it'd be too much.

Plus I have a lift at home for side jobs. :)

allTRACway
03-16-2012, 09:28 PM
AW PHOEY alright good luck with school joey

Ghost
03-17-2012, 06:58 PM
good luck with school. i am a mac guy LOL.

METDeath
03-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Going back to school full time. 15 credits and work just feels like it'd be too much.

Plus I have a lift at home for side jobs. :)

But you don't get free monthly oil changes any more...

KoreanJoey
03-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Eh, I'll live.

cklamp
03-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Definitely interested, but unemployed so not a lot of cash... If you need a helper or another test vehicle, I just live up in Renton:)

later
C

BonzaiCelica
03-23-2012, 09:26 PM
you guys want custom built solid coilovers. go to http://www.hotbits.ca/ they are made to order (ie custom) I got quoted about $1,800-2,000 for racing style coilovers on a ST202 Celica with compression and rebound settings along with camber plates. they mainly deal with rally, but their street apps are very good as well.

they're production is in Canada but they have a dealer on the east cost.