PDA

View Full Version : LF: stock st165 radaiator.

sleeper
02-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Hi.

Looking for a new stock radiator for a st165.

I have found the radiator on your website, but i need to be shure that this is the 32mm version. ( stock alltrac thickness.. and not a 17mm or 25mm version)
And do you have it in stock?

Aaron Willis
02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
An ST165 calls for 16400-74171 but the catalog doesn't say how thick it is; Toyota does not list dimensions because they don't make us use them to identify the parts. That's something the aftermarket has to do because their parts are sometimes semi-universal, and they don't have the same resources Toyota gives us. We look things up by application and we trust Toyota to specify the correct parts for the cars they build.

Bad news, though. 16400-74171 is discontinued and there is no remaining inventory. If you try to order it on our website (or anyone else's) your order will be cancelled and your money refunded.

We tried our favorite aftermarket supplier and they no longer sell it, either. I tried NAPA's catalog and they do list one, but it may be an erroneous listing that doesn't fit the All-Trac; either way, they list a 5/8" thickness for it. You are going to have to go custom to get a thick core. Have you talked to a radiator shop about re-coring your existing rad? And/or is there an off-the-shelf aftermarket "performance" (i.e. shiny aluminum) unit for the ST165 like there is for the SW20, AE86, etc?

sleeper
02-06-2012, 08:03 PM
There is a alu "upgrade" that does not cost much.
But i don`t want to use a alu unit, copper is alot better.

Guess i will have to ask a radiator shop to make me one.

thanks

Aaron Willis
02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I see. That aluminum unit really might be worth looking at if the quality is there. Realistically, a lot of very high performance cars use aluminum radiators. Copper may be "better" - on paper - but you may find end up struggling to build a part which is theoretically superior, but produces absolutely no benefits in the real world. In other words, you may be trying to solve a problem that you don't really have. That is an easy trap to fall into. It eats up a lot of time and resources that could be better utilized elsewhere, solving other problems that are known to exist in the real world.