PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Philips Head Valve Cover screws?

joe's gt
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
What has worked for you guys as a good alternative? Socket head? Hex Head? I assume the rubber washer is there to take up thermal expansion? Anything else that is comparable?

ChrisD
02-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Twosrus or ko both make valve cover bolt kits. They use Allen keys and work well. They include new seals too.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

rizin
02-06-2012, 04:55 AM
I went to True Value and bought some chrome hex bolts. Cut them to the length of the original bolts length. Don't know how they work since the engine has not been started since I started my rebuild. I know most valve covers have a gasket for the bolts to help seal them to the valve cover.

4thgenceli
02-06-2012, 05:00 AM
I went to Ace (True Value) and bought some hex bolts and rubber washers. Solved the whole stupid phillips head screw stripped problem.

temperacerguy
02-06-2012, 05:15 AM
You can either go with hex head bolts, or allen (socket) head bolts. Any hardware store will have them, most stock black oxide (stay away from these as they will rust) I personally go with stainless steel as the chrome plated can crack with the heat and let rust in under. As this is not a high stress component, you can get away with stainless steel, and they will look good forever. The thread pitch is 6X1 (from memory, double check) Pull one of the center bolts and the perimeter bolts to check for length.

replace with new seals... They are not expensive from Toyota.

When you bolt them, bolt them slowly in a pattern.

T-spoon
02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Careful with the torque, since you'll be able to crank down most other fasteners a lot tighter than the phillips without much effort.