PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler (i need your help)

gen5dream
02-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Simple enough i'm building Candy up with the big ATS turbo kit and i need to have a front mount. I need the specific dimensions for the core and tube width.

Mafix
02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
this can vary a bunch on your car. depends on which bumper, which bumper support, ps and trans coolers?, a/c? ect.

gen5dream
02-06-2012, 06:47 AM
this can vary a bunch on your car. depends on which bumper, which bumper support, ps and trans coolers?, a/c? ect.
well i am planning on getting myself the rc bumper and from what i can see i dont have a/c on the car anymore.

4thgenceli
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I have the Treadstone TR8 installed on my st162. It fits perfectly behind the stock crash bar.

gen5dream
02-07-2012, 01:46 AM
and that intercooler is big enough for 22+psi? (i dont know alot about intercoolers)

vip09
02-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Gotta get me one of those big ATS turbo kits but I don't see the big kit listed on their website.

4thgenceli
02-07-2012, 04:08 AM
and that intercooler is big enough for 22+psi? (i dont know alot about intercoolers)

Google is your friend.

http://bit.ly/xqn84W

Rated up to just shy of 600hp.

gen5dream
02-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Gotta get me one of those big ATS turbo kits but I don't see the big kit listed on their website.

here's the link

http://www.atsracing.net/Parts/Index/GT3071RKIT

gen5dream
02-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Google is your friend.

http://bit.ly/xqn84W

Rated up to just shy of 600hp.

Thanks burnyd!

DrTod
02-10-2012, 04:27 PM
to avoid thread duplication: can somebody recommend size for front intercooler as replacement of standard water to air for ST205?

4thgenceli
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
to avoid thread duplication: can somebody recommend size for front intercooler as replacement of standard water to air for ST205?

In all honestly why?

W2A is a much more efficient cooling system than an A2A setup.

DrTod
02-10-2012, 04:54 PM
In all honestly why?

W2A is a much more efficient cooling system than an A2A setup.

to avoid holy war W2A vs A2A will mention only one reason: some modifications of the hood + future conversion for more power where W2A will not be so efficient (lessons learned from other project)

l0ch0w
02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
W2A is more efficient only if done right, and its alot more expensive to do it right. Beyond the Core and Heat exchanger the most important thing in a W2A setup is the pump, and it has to be able to flow ALOT if you want to be able to support high HP. Expect to pay $300 or more on an adequate pump. So many people go out and think a low pressure bilge pump and 1/2" water lines are adequate *yawn*... Id be interested to see your old A2W setup, and see where it fell flat.

IMO it boils down to cost for alot of people, a FMIC can be put together without the RC bumper, but because the USDM bumper is ugly and not as roomy, most switch. If you ignore the cost of the bumper, a FMIC can be put together for under $400.
Decent higher power A2W setups out there usually run a little over $800 just for the components. Figure $150 for the HE, $200 for the core, $300 for the pump, and another $200 for hoses fans, electronics, and mounting. And we still want to switch over to the RC bumper cuz it looks so cool.

If you want to avoid holy war, avoid statements like W2A is less efficient.... because that statement is fundamentally wrong.

joe's gt
02-12-2012, 08:58 PM
The general consensus on the mr2 boards was that the oem 205 system was good for about 350-400hp. I'd also be more hesitant to add that much increased volume to the system with an FMIC unless you do plan on reaching high power levels. A2W intercoolers are great for maintaining throttle response time with moderate power increases. Not to mention the heat transfer coefficient of water is astronomically higher than that of air. The main problem with the 205 system was it just couldn't flow the required air necessary for those higher power levels. So if your goals are high power levels, than an FMIC is probably your best bet. Its a simpler solution and lag won't be an issue because you'll need a turbo big enough to handle the power. Also if simplicity is your overall goal and your willing to sacrifice response time even at moderate power levels, FMIC again will benefit you.

ChrisD
02-13-2012, 04:51 AM
I personally prefer a well designed fmic over wta. But I'm keeping the wta on the daily driver and using fmic on the project car.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

DrTod
02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
question now is to restore oem 205 system (it has some problems because was careless disassembled) and postpone hood modifications OR install FMIC for less money. I wouldn't like to invest more untill engine modifications, then most probably I will foloow l0ch0w's advice. So I have no opportunity to install A2A on celica before, could somebody advice most suitable FMIC for stock replacement (i'll find buyer for this staff later ;))

p.s. l0ch0w, I supposed to compare oem intercooler staff with A2A, not rebuilded W2A vs A2A
p.p.s. Joe's, well I dont like sacrificing efficiency but this is not competition car for a while :))

l0ch0w
02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Talking OEM, the 205 wta setup is better than all previous oem intercooler setups.

In its stock configuration the 205 intercooler is usually healthy until the 350 to 400 whp levels. That is not to say that the core is not capable of more. I dont know of anyone yet beyond myself who is trying to see the limits of the stock 205 core. I personally am upgrading the pump to a johnson CM90, and am using a substantially larger heat exchanger. I do not know what the limits will be on the stock 205 core at that point, but my hopes are high.

I figure if I break it or it doesnt deliver the power the way I want to, then I will upgrade just the core.

The rules are that you have to pay to play, A2W intercooler systems will be much more efficient at cooling your charge and keeping it from creeping when you are at idle as well as improve throttle response. But they are typically more expensive to set up correctly. A FMIC is a nice cheap alternative if you dont already have an A2W system plumbed in. But remember, the FMIC requires an RC bumper at a minimum to work easily.

If you already have a 205 core, stay with that... Get a johnson cm30 or cm90 pump off the fleabay, and an intercooler heat exchanger from either frozenboost.com or siliconeintakes.com The pumps are about $250 and the core is about 150-175. And you wont have to modify the bumper or hood right away. That will be your cheapest and best route for your power levels.

@joe, the major limitation to the st205 intercooler usually boiled down to overheating due to lack of waterflow from the stock IC pump. Also alot of people have problems with it bursting, but it has been shown that many of the cracked cores were because they werent secured properly to the head. And the cores cracked due to excess vibration.

The GT4 rally cars all used the same intercooler core, and had no issue whatsoever running upwards of 500whp. If they were capable of that, im sure that we can manage...