PDA

View Full Version : Headlights compatibility

broderp
02-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Quick question, will any 6th gen Celica headlights work on any 6th gen Celica?

Can I install 98 Headlights on my 95 Celica?

Can I install 94 GT4 (JDM) headlights on my 95 GT (US)?

Need a quick reply please, I need to buy some to repair my car.

Galcobar
02-03-2012, 08:26 AM
The headlight design didn't change between years AFAIK, but you will find an issue with using Japanese headlights on a U.S. car. The Japanese drive on the other side of the road, and use modern headlight beam patterns. The U.S.' beam patterns are still based on 1950s signage, which needed to fire a good percentage of the light upwards to illuminate overhead signs. Modern beam patterns in use in Europe, Japan, Canada, etc have a sharp horizontal cutoff and bend upwards towards the outer edge of the road to illuminate unlit roadside signs, e.g _____/ (this is why HID was available in these countries long before the U.S. and why conversions from halogen are especially problematic in North America).

The trouble is that if you take these designs and drive on the opposite side of the road, that bend is now directing light into the eyes of oncoming drivers. You can twist the Japanese headlights to reduce this problem, but it's still not right and can get you ticketed for illegal equipment. The same beam pattern from Europe, where they drive on the same side of the road as North America, would technically be illegal but will not generate any interest from police unless you've given them reason to look for violations.

broderp
02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
The headlight design didn't change between years AFAIK, but you will find an issue with using Japanese headlights on a U.S. car. The Japanese drive on the other side of the road, and use modern headlight beam patterns. The U.S.' beam patterns are still based on 1950s signage, which needed to fire a good percentage of the light upwards to illuminate overhead signs. Modern beam patterns in use in Europe, Japan, Canada, etc have a sharp horizontal cutoff and bend upwards towards the outer edge of the road to illuminate unlit roadside signs, e.g _____/ (this is why HID was available in these countries long before the U.S. and why conversions from halogen are especially problematic in North America).

The trouble is that if you take these designs and drive on the opposite side of the road, that bend is now directing light into the eyes of oncoming drivers. You can twist the Japanese headlights to reduce this problem, but it's still not right and can get you ticketed for illegal equipment. The same beam pattern from Europe, where they drive on the same side of the road as North America, would technically be illegal but will not generate any interest from police unless you've given them reason to look for violations.

I didnt think of this. :amazed:

The lamps I'm considering are coming from HONG KONG. From a GT4. I see they have an extra lamp (marker light?) in the low beams. I do not know what side of the road they drive on in Hong Kong... They are NOT projector lamps, and use HB4 bulbs. They also appear to have similar adjustments via external screw mechanism.

If they drive on the same side of the road as here in the US, I wouild be OK right?

Galcobar
02-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Hong Kong's driving rules are drawn from Britain, which means they're also left side of the road, right-hand drive cars.

The extra bulb in the low beams is what's known as a city light -- it's like daytime-running lights, but also applies at night as most European cities are so well lit that even low beams are unnecessary.