PDA

View Full Version : where's the cheapest place to get a flywheel?

lue
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
would like to know from some of you celica owners. where is the cheapest online or local stores to get a 5SFE flywheel? i am replacing my clutch this month and need to look around for a flywheel as well probably some where close to stock material as can be. probably name brands as well so i know i won't have to replace it after a couple of years.. call the toyota dealer the other day and the price is just WAYYYY tooo high..

Hookecho
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
If the teeth are in good shape just have it resurfaced at a machine shop for $25. If not then find a good used one to have resurfaced. I have a couple if needed.

aye87
02-03-2012, 01:40 AM
advance auto part order on site and search coupon code on google then pick it up in store it cost around $40

bleST
02-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Just get it resurfaced, they have lots of material on them. No need to throw your money away on a new one, they are not a throw-away part. And fyi, I machine them all the time at work.

lue
02-03-2012, 08:56 AM
resurface? never knew that.. thanks.. now i'll just have to find a shop that can do that.. i wonder if like local auto shops like oreily does it?..

temperacerguy
02-03-2012, 09:31 AM
look up "Automotive machine shop" in your yellow pages. Ask them if the machining is done in-house. I have dealt with machine shops that say "yeah, we can do that" then I find out that they farm it out to a machine shop near by that they share work with.

For simple machine work (turning rotors/drums/flywheels) I have a local NAPA shop that has a 1 day turn around on flywheels and a couple hours on rotor/drums

lue
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
thanks everyone. just call napa this morning and told me they resurface flywheels as well..

T-spoon
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Just get it resurfaced, they have lots of material on them. No need to throw your money away on a new one, they are not a throw-away part. And fyi, I machine them all the time at work.

They are a throw-away part, just like brake discs. That's why they need to be checked to see if resurfacing is an option. Often it is, sometimes it's not; it's not an automatic that it can/should be resurfaced. Not that I'm saying the OP's will need tossing (it probably doesn't), just shouldn't be presented as an absolute like that.

temperacerguy
02-04-2012, 02:15 AM
They are a throw-away part, just like brake discs. That's why they need to be checked to see if resurfacing is an option. Often it is, sometimes it's not; it's not an automatic that it can/should be resurfaced. Not that I'm saying the OP's will need tossing (it probably doesn't), just shouldn't be presented as an absolute like that.

What T-spoon is saying is correct...

HOWEVER... Without SERIOUS, INTENSE, HEAVY DUTY Abuse, or complete catastrophic failure that would probably destroy the transmission as well, most flywheels will last at least 3 resurfacing jobs... Which should last the life of most cars.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-04-2012, 05:17 AM
I find a good machine shop from my Toyota Dealer. I ask the parts/service department who they use locally. I always find someone with years of experience.

85gtsblackman
02-04-2012, 05:25 AM
i think orielys can machine them but i may be wrong

jaydog82
02-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Some of our stores can, but you would be better off taking it to a machine shop. They can reservice the back and check the ballance. I had mine done for about $70.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

lue
02-06-2012, 06:28 AM
my car only has 117K on it and i have never beat on it before..basically it's just daily driven car to commute so hopefully it looks good when i take it out this month but if i had to replace it i would probably just go with the beck and arnley @ rockauto or advance auto. dealers cost around 300bucks.. too much for my wallet.