PDA

View Full Version : EDU me on battery chargers

4thgenceli
01-30-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm clueless. I don't have one, nor do I have jumper cables.

I saw an advertisement for Battery Tender products while watching Powerblock this morning on Speed. How are they?

CollapsedNut
01-30-2012, 01:26 AM
A tender puts out a very low charge, like 2 amps. They turn off once a battery reaches a certain voltage,12-13v. These are usually used to keep a battery charged that wont be used for awhile, like my motorcycle thats been sitting for 8 months.
A charger usually has multiple settings for slow charges like 2 amp, mid charges like 20amp and engine start around 50 amp.

4thgenceli
01-30-2012, 01:37 AM
So ideally, I would want one of each then, correct?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

CollapsedNut
01-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Word

Siyx
01-30-2012, 09:20 PM
I have a trusty Canadian Tire battery charger that is automatic but has settings for 2A, 10A and Boost Start. I usually set it to 2A if i plan on not driving my car for a week or more to keep the battery topped up. If i forget to put the charger on then i use the 10A to charge the battery or if i need to go somewhere and the battery is super dead then i put it on the boost setting to start the car.
I think i got it on sale for around $40 (normally around $80). Any car shop should have something like this under different names.

Funkycheeze
01-30-2012, 11:37 PM
If you don't drive a car for more than a month or two, a battery maintainer/tender is a good idea to extend the life of the battery.

rizin
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Tender for anything that will be sitting for any amount of time. The amount of time depending on weather, amp draw with key off, and the condition of the battery. I wish I had a tender for my yellow top optima a couple years back. Was sitting on a wood block in the garage and wasen't touched for two months, went bad didn't want to take a charge after that. You need jumper cables I know they have saved my ass a few times. I went 3 days with out altenator while it was being rebuilt, charged the batt at the apartment with the charger and drove to work. Then while bsing after work had my buddys truck charging my batt with jumper cables so I could get home.

T-spoon
01-31-2012, 01:10 AM
I really like my black and decker charger/starter. Lots of functionality, 2/10/25 charge mode settings plus a 75amp start mode, accurate voltage display and can set it for battery type: wet/gel/agl. I've had it for years now and it has served me very well. It can also desulfate some "dead" batteries, and has diagnostic codes for open cells etc.

Hipster Lawrence
01-31-2012, 02:31 AM
Off topic kinda but if you hook a charger up backwards to a completely flat battery the polarity will reverse. It's happend.