PDA

View Full Version : winter time is here.....need recomendations for winter/snow tires

celica9303
01-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Directed toward you nothern hemisphere members.......

What snow tires do you all like/use?

Lots of brands out ther... michelin,goodyear,general,bridgestone,nitto ect.......

My toyo all seasons are about done for,an I'm looking for a dedicated winter/snow tire.

What do you like or don't like abot em? Basic review maybe
1,2,3.......go!

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Dunlop Graspic DS-3s.

I rocked those for a horrible snow season in Cincinnati, and on several trips in white-outs back and forth from there to Akron.

BEST studdless winter tires you can buy. I lived on a steep hill that was never plowed. In 4 inches of snowpack and ice, they handled like all-seasons would on dry pavement. Great grip, control and they did not wear like winter tires.

celica9303
01-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks CBB. Ill look into those too......never heard of em.

I've heard good things about the michelin x-ice ix2(not sure if that's correct or not) and blizzaks,but I'm open to sugggestions....had 3in of snowthis weekend , topspeed with out loss of traction was 20mph fml

Forgot to add I'm looking for studless.......

pintoBC_3sgte
01-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Dunlop Winter Sport M3.

Ran these on my celica when i drove in the winter. Great grip in the snow. :P im using these as my summers lol awesome grip on dry pavment as well

bleST
01-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Hankook ipike on mine, pretty good grip and not too noisy.

KoreanJoey
01-23-2012, 06:17 AM
I run the Hankook Ipikes... They were great the first winter but seems to have fallen off some. Still get almost anywhere in the snow but I think I might try the continental extremewintercontacts the next time around.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Michelins are good, but not as good from what I have read. Also, they cost more.

david in germany
01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I would go with Bridgestone blizzaks. I ran Blizzak run flats on my Mini and run the non run flats on my 1 series. I have driven them through lite powder/slush all the way up to 12+ inches and they are monsters! Second choice is what I am running on my 3 series, Contiwintercontacts. Grip is great, slush and deeper snow is no problem but they seem a bit soft over all.

96stgreendemon
01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm rocking Yokohama Ice Guard tires and I love them! Great traction and little road noise, especially great in wet weather lol

Luni
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
When you buy a snow tire you have to buy it for what youre using it for.

For example, where I live, 90 percent of my winter driving occurs on cold, dry, or slightly damp roads. Sometimes theyre wet. Sometimes I have to drive through snow. Even more rare I have to drive through ice.

When I bought my snow tires, I took this into consideration. I went with Michelin X-Ice 2s. I did so because they have the best dry road handling of any snow tire on the market. They dont feel overly squishy, and theyre not horribly loud. They have a relatively stiff sidewall compared to some of the others, and they offer a warranty on mileage, unlike any of the others.

Continental actually probably makes the best overall snow tire on the market from what Ive read. Blizzaks are 2nd, and X-Ice 2s are third. However, thats rating them in the conditions they were designed for (snow/ice). My snow tires are an insurance policy, not an absolute. I dont want my car feeling squishy and numb during decent weather, just so I can deal with great feel during crappy weather, which in the end scheme doesnt happen that much down in the valley where I live. Because of that, Id rather have tires that are good all the time, that still handle their business in the snow with authority, and still feel more like an allseason when its not.

For that purpose, if your snow is anything like mine, where I live, Id recommend the Michelins over the others because of their overall feel. They arent the best in the snow (at one point in time they were), but theyre good all the time, and I liked the balance of them over the others.

In the end, do your research and see what you like. Heres an article for you to check out that may help.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=135

celica9303
01-24-2012, 05:05 PM
The snow we get is hard to explain, its usually wet big heavy flakes or it small fluffy stuff. A lot of what we get herr is"lake effect" snow. Don't really know howto explain wht thatis. .......cbb might beable to explain it.

Also get lots of ice, cuz it likes to warm up melt to snow and refreeze again..... like yesterday it was 50 degrees out so all the snow melted and hell it even had a thunderstorm and today its back to freeezing cold out lol. And the roads are dry vs. Acouple days ago.

Even when we do get snow the city plows suck and leave a lot still on the roads as far as packed slick snow and ice......

One tirerack the michlins had thebest reviews as far as dry and snow traction

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Lake Effect brings so much fun. Dumps a foot of heavy wet snow that gets packed in the streets until the plows clear it. We don't usually have a lot of slush, just ice and packed snow. Then we go a few days with clear roads.

The Dunlop Graspics were great in those situations, and gave me a ton of control. When it comes to dry, they were a little noisy, and my handling was softer, but not as soft from other experiences on snow tires. They wore evenly and looked like you could easily get 3-4 seasons out of them.

Again, it came down to price. I could not find Bridgestone or Michelin in my price range. Had money not been a factor, I would have gone with a Norwegian made tire as they are incredible (had a set on my parents car that were life changing). For price and performance, the Graspics were unbeatable.

bleST
01-25-2012, 04:03 AM
As far as conditions, I drive in a lot of heavy snow and slush left on the road, the stuff that pulls the car all over the place. So far the iPikes have been great, but I appreciate all these other reviews.

Numbchux
02-01-2012, 11:24 PM
_

ChrisD
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I've always liked the Nokian Hakka RSi / R. (the R is the evolution of the RSi)

I've equipped 3 different vehicles with them so far. I'd also like to try the Michelin X-Ice. It's got tonnes of great reviews and seems to be one of the most popular. I've avoided Blizzaks b/c I've heard they wear quicker. (good for ice, bad for dry cold roads)

Numbchux
02-04-2012, 04:04 AM
_

tom1977
02-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Alot of the all wheel drive guys around the sierras use the blizzaks, though I have heard great things about the x ice 2 michelin. We just haven't had a winter here yet to ask any recent questions!