PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a clutch.

Hipster Lawrence
01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm about to finish my engine and need a clutch. It's a silvertop with blacktop pistons and a blacktop flywheel.

- I don't want a stock clutch the one I had before slipped at high rpm and hard launches.
- My wife needs to be able to drive it without complaining too much.
- Budget is $400 I really don't want to drop $500 on a clutch.

I was looking at spec clutches but they have some bad reviews. So it's between clutch masters and competition clutch. Stage 2 or 3.

Any input is appreciated.

Luni
01-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Most likely Id go with the clutchmasters.

Or Id get the clutch I recommended Dustin to get. The Exedy Racing Stage 1 (not the OEM one, its different, and feels different, more burly, yet still totally driveable by your wife).

And theyre around 350 or so, so a pretty good deal.

Hipster Lawrence
01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
What do you think of the stage 3 clutch masters? It uses the same pressure plate as the 1 & 2 but with a segmented disc. I dont care if its grabby as long as its not impossible to push down.

List price is $495 but I can probably find a better price. Anyone know a good vendor for clutch master?

jaydog82
01-22-2012, 04:12 AM
im using the spec stage2, i have not driven on it yet, but it came highly recommended.

Hipster Lawrence
01-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Luni don't you have a clutchmasters stage 4? How is that clutch? I think my wig could learn to drive a pucked clutch as long as its not too hard to disengage. She used to have a crx that had a cable operated clutch and it was pretty stiff. Honestly though she'll only be driving the car if we take it on a trip or something.

Night_Wolf
01-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I had a stage 3 CM on my 3SGTE swap but had issues with the springs and the center piece separating from the clutch disc, I have a Stage 3 ACT 6 puck unsprung now and love it, its just takes some time to get used to the clutch if you jump from one car to the next.

96stgreendemon
01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Try giving southbend clutch a call. They have great clutches, I have their stage 2 kevlar clutch and it's my DD St205 swapped, clutch is very driveable and was extremely affordable

Hipster Lawrence
01-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Found a clutchmasters stage 3 for $250 shipped! May get an exhaust with the leftover budget.

KoreanJoey
01-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Let the wife complain! Stronger clutch = more better.

Luni
01-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I have the ATS CM STG4. It actually has less pedal effort than stock from MR2 guys reports. However Im not running it. Its not installed. My MR2 is still not fixed. So I cant report on it.

I do know its a different beast than their other stuff, and ATS is the only company they make it for. So I cant vouch for anything else they make.