PDA

View Full Version : C160 (Helical) vs C60 (Open Diff) Transmission

BonzaiCelica
01-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Posted on another forum but I want to see if you guys can shed some light as one member on the chat mentioned a part of the internal of the transmission (I just forgot the name of the part) :

I"m not sure if you guys have seen Acura RSX and 7th Gen Celica's put down wheel hp on a dyno. It seems to me that those cars are able to put down more whp due to the fact that they lose less power through their axles. yes I know the output in power of the rsx might be more than our celica's.

Even Integra DC2 put out the same whp as an Celica SS-III. But the new RSX Type R looses less whp than the older DC2. Why is this??

Some member over on Celica tech told me it has to do with the internals of the transmission that allows more power at the crank to transfer to the axles more efficiently????

KoreanJoey
01-19-2012, 01:44 AM
That's possible as for the bearing clearances and resistance. Plus, IIRC hondas run motor oil instead of thicker gear oil which could equate to less drivetrain loss.

Funkycheeze
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM
A limited slip shouldn't change the power loss in a drivetrain as compared to an open diff, on a dyno (apart from miniscule differences resulting from a change in drag thru the transmission/differential oil). On a track you will get more loss when the limited slip is operating (when one wheel is trying to slip), but the open diff would just cause a wheel to spin out, meaning even more power loss since you can't put it to the ground.

BonzaiCelica
01-20-2012, 11:48 AM
ok i was just stating the differences between the two. But my question as far as open vs lsd transmission is not what I"m after. the c160 and c60 transmission internals have the same exact gearing. But does the newer c60 transmission put down more whp than the older c160 transmission??? same goes for honda/acura transmissions.

KoreanJoey
01-23-2012, 06:29 AM
No idea.