PDA

View Full Version : St184 3sgte swap question

Toyo3sgte
01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
I am installing a sw20 3sgte with a s54 trans into my st184, and have run into some clearance issues. The 3sgte motor I have is built for a side mount intercooler. After tons of trial and error I have managed to get the timing belt side motor mount bolted in but can't seem to get the tranny side mount in properly. Also, it appears as if the throttle body and intake man sits higher than my stock 184 hood will allow. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Toyo3sgte
01-15-2012, 09:10 AM
My mistake, I meant a Jdm sw22 (obviously) 3sgte. Let me know if I forgot to mention any additional important details.

Hookecho
01-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Seems like a mounting issue. Are you using the motor/trans mounts from the 5sfe? If not then you should be. Idk if the MR2 3sgte mounts are different but that could explain your problem.

4thgenceli
01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you're using the MR2 3sgte motor mount bracket on the timing belt side. Rip that off and put on your 5sfe mount, it'll sit flat.

Toyo3sgte
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Should've done my research and just bought a gt4 clip. Lesson learned. I thought the shop I bought the motor from knew what they were talking about when I asked them about my application, but ce la vie. Now I've gotta deal with the fabrication issues. I am using the belt side motor mount from my 5s, but I adapted it to work with the mr2 mount bracket. I tried slapping the 5s bracket on the belt side, but it didn't seem like it provided as much support as the mr2 bracket. As for the trans side mount, I originally had an auto trans so the bracket and mount I had would not work with the manual trans. I had to fabricate the trans side mount and mounting plate. Will the e153 mount and bracket sit properly in my st184 or do I need to fabricate that as well?

4thgenceli
01-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Should've done my research and just bought a gt4 clip. Lesson learned. I thought the shop I bought the motor from knew what they were talking about when I asked them about my application, but ce la vie. Now I've gotta deal with the fabrication issues. I am using the belt side motor mount from my 5s, but I adapted it to work with the mr2 mount bracket. I tried slapping the 5s bracket on the belt side, but it didn't seem like it provided as much support as the mr2 bracket. As for the trans side mount, I originally had an auto trans so the bracket and mount I had would not work with the manual trans. I had to fabricate the trans side mount and mounting plate. Will the e153 mount and bracket sit properly in my st184 or do I need to fabricate that as well?

Forget any mr2 mounts/mount brackets.

I have a st215 3sgte (gen4) and the mr2 e153 motor in my car (st162). I removed all mounts & brackets. I then installed the mount and bracket from my st162 for the timing belt side (actually I used st165), st165 front/rear mounts (and brackets) and st165 trans mount and bracket.

If you grab all the mounts & brackets from a ST185 you should have no problem installing them.

Smaay
01-17-2012, 01:35 AM
the only useable part is the engine long block and the intake manifold. everything else must come from the ST185. yes you made a huge mistake getting an MR2 engine. none of the brackets will be right. there is no powersteering bracket, the alternators are different i believe.

4thgenceli
01-17-2012, 01:49 AM
the only useable part is the engine long block and the intake manifold. everything else must come from the ST185. yes you made a huge mistake getting an MR2 engine. none of the brackets will be right. there is no powersteering bracket, the alternators are different i believe.

Correct. The alternator brackets are different and it lacks the power steering (as the mr2 has an electric power steering pump). You'll need a lot of parts to make it work/fit right.

Toyo3sgte
01-17-2012, 08:28 AM
I knew about the power steering and the alternator. I was planning on going without ps until I could afford to convert to an electric pump. However, I didn't know about the mounting issues. So on that note, does anyone have any good friends in the Canada area that could pick over a gt4 somewhere?

4thgenceli
01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Running no PS on a car that has it could run chances of damage to the rack.

CollapsedNut
01-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Why would you want no PS anyways. Thats just dumb.

91Atrac
01-18-2012, 04:03 AM
So no power steering on let's say my alltrac which has the power steering with huge oil leak would be better off fixin it and just using it?

How would you reinforce it to handle the manual steering factor?

Sorry for thread jacking!

Toyo3sgte
01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
It's not that I wanted to run with no ps, it's just that I don't have the brackets from a gt4 for all of the accessories. So until I could afford either the elec ps pump or get ahold of the brackets for the belt driven pump, I was going to put a bit of fluid in the rack and cap the lines off. My alternative mode of transportation is a low geared 5.7L, so the sooner I can get my celi back to life, the sooner I can save on gas. The manual power steering was a temp solution.